Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite Players

Post Thanks / Like

Elite Players

Bulldogs players aside how many players would be regarded as 'elite' in the 2016 and 2017 seasons only based on their form?

It's a term I hear mentioned a lot but I wonder how many players have performed at the elite level over the last year and a half?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Elite Players

Adelaide - Betts, Sloane, Walker, Talia
    Brisbane - D Beams, Zorko, Rockliff
    Carlton - Murphy, Gibbs, Docherty
    Collingwood - Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Trelor, Grundy
    Essendon - Daniher, Hurley, Z Merrett, Heppell
    Fremantle - Fyfe, Neale, Sandilands, Mundy, S Hill, Walters
    Geelong - Dangerfield, J Selwood, Duncan, Hawkins
    Suns - Lynch, Ablett, May
    GWS - Haynes, Kelly, Cameron, Ward, Shiel, Shaw, Mumford, Coniglio, Green, Williams
    Hawthorn - Rioli, Mitchell, Roughead, Hodge, Burgoyne
    Melbourne - Gawn, Oliver, Jones, Viney, Watts
    North Melbourne - Cunnington, Tarrant, Brown, Ziebell, Goldstein, Higgins
    Port Adelaide - R Gray, Wingard, Ebert, Polec, Ryder, Wines, Boak
    Richmond - Rance, Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin
    ST Kilda - Riewoldt, Steven, Carlisle, Geary, Ross
    Sydney - Kennedy, Parker, Franklin, Rampe, Hannebery, Jones
    West Coast - Kennedy, Mcgoven, Gaff, Yeo, Shuey, Priddis, Mitchell, Hurn
    Western Bulldogs - Morris, Wood, Stringer, Macrae, Johannisen, Picken, Dahlaus, Bontempelli, Murphy, Wallis, Liberatore, Hunter and so on

I've listed all the players I consider to be the best at their respective clubs (I'd say I've missed a coulple others would put in this group). Probably most you would consider to be 'A' grade players. As for 'elite' I would say that they would have to be standouts amongst all of this group.

My top 10 would be right now

1. Dangerfield
    2. Martin
    3. Pendlebury
    4. Bontempelli
    4. Sloane
    5. J Kennedy (Syd)
    6. Franklin
    7. Kelly
    8. Betts
    9. Rance
    10. Green
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

For a Collingwood player I reckon Pendlebury flies under the radar a bit. Usually a Collingwood player only has to remember to kick the ball the right way and the toothless legions start calling them champions but Pendlebury is a little underrated.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    GWS - Haynes, Kelly, Cameron, Ward, Shiel, Shaw, Mumford, Coniglio, Green, Williams
    Western Bulldogs - Morris, Wood, Stringer, Macrae, Johannisen, Picken, Dahlaus, Bontempelli, Murphy, Wallis, Liberatore, Hunter and so on

I've listed all the players I consider to be the best at their respective clubs (I'd say I've missed a coulple others would put in this group). Probably most you would consider to be 'A' grade players. As for 'elite' I would say that they would have to be standouts amongst all of this group.

1. Dangerfield
    2. Martin
    3. Pendlebury
    4. Bontempelli
    4. Sloane
    5. J Kennedy (Syd)
    6. Franklin
    7. Kelly
    8. Betts
    9. Rance
    10. Green
    Good effort, but some names jump out as misplaced: Duncan, Ben Brown, Goldstein (been v poor this year), Oliver, Watts, Polec, Geary, Jones, Hurn. Don't get me wrong, they're all good to very good players, even excellent at their very best. But declaring a player as elite means they are in the upper echelon of quality and these don't quite reach it (though I expect Oliver and Jones to).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Elite, very good... it's all very subjective.

i would only have say 25 players in what I would elite category. I would base that on position/value too, basically elite to me is would they make my best 22 or close enough to.

Bont and maybe JJ are the elite Bulldogs IMHO. We have a load of guys in the next category. Why we are so strong.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dangerfield
    2. Martin
    3. Pendlebury
    4. Bontempelli
    4. Sloane
    5. J Kennedy (Syd)
    6. Franklin
    7. Kelly
    8. Betts
    9. Rance
    10. Green
    If you use the criteria of 2016 and 2017 as the primary assessment to judge elite players you list is way to high. I'd say a lot less than half of the players mentioned are elite standard players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Elite, very good... it's all very subjective.

i would only have say 25 players in what I would elite category. I would base that on position/value too, basically elite to me is would they make my best 22 or close enough to.

Bont and maybe JJ are the elite Bulldogs IMHO. We have a load of guys in the next category. Why we are so strong.
    I had a talk to someone at work today and we came up with less than 20 players we regarded as elite. There is a big difference between A grade players and elite in the way I would assess them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Good effort, but some names jump out as misplaced: Duncan, Ben Brown, Goldstein (been v poor this year), Oliver, Watts, Polec, Geary, Jones, Hurn. Don't get me wrong, they're all good to very good players, even excellent at their very best. But declaring a player as elite means they are in the upper echelon of quality and these don't quite reach it (though I expect Oliver and Jones to).
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If you use the criteria of 2016 and 2017 as the primary assessment to judge elite players you list is way to high. I'd say a lot less than half of the players mentioned are elite standard players.
    I must not have been very clear in my post. I listed all players I think are best at their clubs and would probably be an A grade player. An Elite player in my mind is even better than A grade. Hence my top 10 of Elite players of all players I listed.

Probably the long way of going through it but it helped me pick the best of the best I suppose.

Did I make sense this time.
    Brian Fantana.

10. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must not have been very clear in my post. I listed all players I think are best at their clubs and would probably be an A grade player. An Elite player in my mind is even better than A grade. Hence my top 10 of Elite players of all players I listed.

Probably the long way of going through it but it helped me pick the best of the best I suppose.

Yep, got it

Post Thanks / Like

Terms like elite and A grader are unhelpful, better to focus on top 10, AA side, AA squad or top 50
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I like your list, however, I would not include Betts and Green. They are great at kicking goals, but personally I wouldn't have them in the Elite category.

I still think Ablett is right up there, and this season, (I hate to say it), Selwood is playing Elite footy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like your list, however, I would not include Betts and Green. They are great at kicking goals, but personally I wouldn't have them in the Elite category.

I still think Ablett is right up there, and this season, (I hate to say it), Selwood is playing Elite footy.
    Yeah I know selwood deserves a spot but I couldn't bring myself to give him one.

I think Betts is every bit elite in the position he plays. Probably the hardest position to stay consistent.

I slipped Green in because he's becoming a match winner kicking clutch goals. I rate him highly because if he weren't at the Giants he'd probably be in the midfield in another team and be a great midfielder. I still think he's a prick though. I may have gone early with him but he's very good.
    Brian Fantana.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just pick a best 18/22 and everyone that clearly makes that side is elite. That way you have a good spread of positions and abilities and it's still very exclusive.

It also solves things like Bornadogs question of whether Betts and Greene are elite. Betts as a small forward is elite, why does he have to be compared against a midfielder when the two positions require completely different skillsets.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'd just pick a best 18/22 and everyone that clearly makes that side is elite. That way you have a good spread of positions and abilities and it's still very exclusive.

It also solves things like Bornadogs question of whether Betts and Greene are elite. Betts as a small forward is elite, why does he have to be compared against a midfielder when the two positions require completely different skillsets.

Eddie is just about the most elite small forward I've seen. Obviously it's Lally Bamblett then daylight but Eddie is getting into a clear second position.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

18. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Elite:-
    Dangerfield
    Martin
    Pendlebury
    Sloane
    Bont
    Kennedy x 2
    Franklin
    Rance
    Betts
    Selwood
    Greene
    Laird
    Docherty

Kelly soon, it's not the be all but he wasn't in the AA 40 man squad last year.