Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Johannisen’s lack of fight disappointing: Lyon

Garry Lyon has expressed disappointment at Western Bulldogs defender Jason Johannisen’s lack of desire to fight the heavy attention placed on him in their poor 46-point loss to Sydney on Thursday night.

Johannisen managed only nine possessions at the SCG for a dismal 170 metres gained, with Swans tagger George Hewett blanketing the 2016 Norm Smith Medallist.

Sydney’s seemed determined to rustle up the 24-year-old from the outset of the game, and their heavy attention resulted in the normally free-running Dogs defence being halted by the brick wall that was the Swans’ forward press and contested pressure.

Lyon says that if Johannisen continues to fail to stand-up while being targeted, other teams will exploit this weakness to cripple one of the Bulldogs’ core strengths.

“You make your own bed, so guess what’s happening to JJ next week?” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“What would frustrate Bulldogs supporters is the lack of fight and resistance. There seemed to be an acceptance from Johannisen and as the game wore on it seemed to be 'Oh well, they’re into me, I’m not having a great game. Therefore, it is what it is.'

“That’s what disappoints me. You want to see a reaction.”

Another major talking point stemming from the game will be coach Luke Beveridge’s decision to play a tall side in the slippery conditions instead of bringing in inside midfielder Tom Liberatore, who remains stuck in the club’s VFL outfit.

Nearly every single Dogs tall was ineffective against the Swans, with second-game ruckman Tim English and key forwards Travis Cloke and Jake Stringer all providing little to the contest.

While Tim Watson wasn’t critical of Beveridge’s decision not to select Liberatore, he instead wonders just why the club’s leading contested ball winner from 2016 isn’t hitting the side’s expected standards this year.

“If there was ever a game that was set up for player like Tom Liberatore, it was the conditions of the ground last night, the wet and that combative style of football the Swans were playing,” he said.

“You ask yourself the question ‘Why isn’t he out there? Why hasn’t (Beveridge) been able to find the right lever to pull with Tom Liberatore to get him into the right frame of mind to play the way we want him to play?”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/06/...pointing-lyon/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Johannisen’s lack of fight disappointing: Lyon

Hate the guy but he's spot on. JJ better get ready for it all next week.

3. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Hate the guy but he's spot on. JJ better get ready for it all next week.
    Yes me too. If this doesn't stir up JJ nothing will.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ winning the norm smith was almost the worst thing for him and the club in terms of this season. He is underperforming and asking for a hefty fee as a result. Picken (being humble) or Toyd (having already dealt with draft pick no 1 expectations) perhaps may have worked out better for the club this year. Both were just as (if not more) deserving.

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was JJ's first real experience with a genuine hard tag - how about we put it down to experience, and see how he responds the next time it happens before we decide whether it is character or career defining.

8. Likes bornadog, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No point picking on one player, they were all awful except for Dahlhaus.

Libba hasn't deserved a game so why float his name for.

I agree that Beveridge also had a bad game and the team selection was poor. English should never of played.
    Honeychurch really should of got a game and might of added some fight in that forward line to keep the ball up there. They are also missing Clay Smith's aggression.

We picked too many players that aren't tough enough for that type of clash. ie Bailey Dale, Toby McLean, Caleb Daniel, Tim English, JJ. These guys aren't your physical beasts and don't really thrive in that sort of play. I'm not saying these guys shouldn't play but you need the appropriate balance for the conditions and we didn't do that.

I thought for a player on the fringe, Bailey Dale was woeful in the first half. He really provided no defensive pressure at all. To his credit he tried to improve in that area slightly in the second half and actually laid a couple of tackles but too many weren't up for the contest on the day. Simple as that.

10. Likes Insufficient Intent liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did JJ spend the bye week visiting Odell Beckham in Miami on his party boat?

Don't believe the hype Jason.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    No point picking on one player, they were all awful except for Dahlhaus.

Libba hasn't deserved a game so why float his name for.

I agree that Beveridge also had a bad game and the team selection was poor. English should never of played.
    Honeychurch really should of got a game and might of added some fight in that forward line to keep the ball up there. They are also missing Clay Smith's aggression.

We picked too many players that aren't tough enough for that type of clash. ie Bailey Dale, Toby McLean, Caleb Daniel, Tim English, JJ. These guys aren't your physical beasts and don't really thrive in that sort of play. I'm not saying these guys shouldn't play but you need the appropriate balance for the conditions and we didn't do that.

I thought for a player on the fringe, Bailey Dale was woeful in the first half. He really provided no defensive pressure at all. To his credit he tried to improve in that area slightly in the second half and actually laid a couple of tackles but too many weren't up for the contest on the day. Simple as that.
    The worst part is they had over 120mls of rain in the 2 days prior to the game. They knew what the conditions would be so should have picked the side accordingly. Cordy is a tackling beast and has to play. Honeychurch an in and under who fights to keep it in. Whether Libber is ready or not he would have shown a bit more than some of the others. Some people play better in the 1's and he has served his 3 week penalty.

Post Thanks / Like

It was bizarre, they punched him every 5 seconds and neither he nor his team mates put a stop to it
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I loathe Lyon - this is precisely the sort of harder-than-thou bullshit he loves to spew - but he's right, every hack that passes within arms reach of JJ for the rest of the year is going to give him some.

He doesn't have to return serve, but if it curbs his game we, and he, have some problems.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Lyon's disappointment in JJ is nothing compared to the disappointment I feel knowing that Lyon has a role in the media again.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

16. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog, hujsh, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first saw the headline I thought it might have referred to JJ's potential new boss Ross!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Gary Lyon is probably the most gutless football commentator going around.

He is a man who has taken cheap and then cheaper pot shots from the sidelines at the club he apparently loves, while never standing up and assuming a role of accountability when that club needed his supposed influence and or expertise to steer them through dark periods. He's been a man of inaction for decades, each time he has been called upon in times of crises by the MFC he has refused to put his balls on the line and instead taken the easy road of critical commentator.

Gary Lyon in his time has had nothing to do with a club that has won a Premiership. That's right, he's a hard arse who never assumed responsibility for a club dying, never won a premiership as a player, always avoided any responsibility when his club called for his services (unless cheap seat coordinator is actually a position) - why should we worry about what he says?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes craigsahibee, N/A, Topdog, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Gary Lyon is probably the most gutless football commentator going around.

He is a man who has taken cheap and then cheaper pot shots from the sidelines at the club he apparently loves, while never standing up and assuming a role of accountability when that club needed his supposed influence and or expertise to steer them through dark periods. He's been a man of inaction for decades, each time he has been called upon in times of crises by the MFC he has refused to put his balls on the line and instead taken the easy road of critical commentator.

Gary Lyon in his time has had nothing to do with a club that has won a Premiership. That's right, he's a hard arse who never assumed responsibility for a club dying, never won a premiership as a player, always avoided any responsibility when his club called for his services (unless cheap seat coordinator is actually a position) - why should we worry about what he says?
    I'm annoyed at JJ's game last week just as much as the next guy, but it *!*!*!*!ing irritates me we'd have a Gary Lyon post to call it out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Umm all players have a bad game, torched him after one and judging his hunger for the ball and contest on that is disgusting.
    I would say he made position to run off as in dry weather footy but players fumbled so he never got it more likely, be lucky if he has played 10 games in wet weather footy like that in his life.
    I'm sick of journos talking rubbish to make a story.
    Just go back to reporting and not judging or making stories.
    Bring back the biff