Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sydney Swans Sponsorship, Alleged Terrorist Links According To World Leaders

I noticed Qatar Airways plastered over the SCG and in their coaches box. Qatar Airways being the state owned airline of Qatar.

Currently 9 countries have accused Qatar of sponsoring global terrorism. Even US President Trump has slammed them today and told them to stop funding global terrorism. They make part of their whole of state income, to allegedly in part to fund global terrorism, from their massive airline Qatar Airways.

So according to 9 countries & US President Trump, they use state income inclusive of Qatar Airways income to fund global terrorism organisations such as ISIS, Al Qaeda etc.

I know there's been some media reporting about this, but I'm staggered that Sydney & AFEL seem to be doing nothing. The allegation is Qatar is funding global terrorism such as ISIS & AL QUEDA (among others), this sponsorship with Sydney is designed to increase their profitability of their airline which alledegly would fund terrorist organisations that may literally kill Australians among other people. The logical extension is Sydney (and the AFEL approving) are taking their money which helps them make money for supporting terrorism and murder. I get Australia itself hasn't joined those 9 countries in calling Qatar out, a key ally of the US, but surely this is of such a significant issue that more should be being done to ensure our game is not enabling and supporting (to any degree) terrorism. If Mission was alleged to be funding murderous Mexican Cartels, would there be any pressure on us or the AFEL to do something?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sydney Swans Sponsorship, Alleged Terrorist Links According To World Leaders

Here's a link for some background.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7782896.html

Donald Trump is a dickhead.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sydney Swans Sponsorship, Alleged Terrorist Links According To World Leaders

Trumps a dickhead, no doubt. But as US President he's called Qatar out, along with 9 other nations. If they're right, or even perceived as right, then their airline's sponsorship with Sydney Swans is arguably helping/designed to be helping to some degree to fund terrorism. 'If' you accept there's a perception all these governments/US President are right.

I find it astonishing that many with brand protection at their heart of everything don't seem to be caring about it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Trump calls out Islam as a whole. Should Richmond delist Houli?

6. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Trump calls out Islam as a whole. Should Richmond delist Houli?
    Trump was just today. 9 other countries made the same allegation over the last week. Qatar Airlines makes money for the state alleged to be funding global terrorism. Houli plays sport.

Comparing apples and house bricks.

What these 10 countries/leaders have said is that help or support for Qatar is support for global terrorism. If you take them at face value, then helping them gain exposure and more market share is support for Qatar and their funding of global terrorism. That's if you take all 10 at face value. The optics at a minimum I would've thought would've really got attention to those who look after brand protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Given the head of his own state department has called for an easing, it probably suggests the ties are spurious - or the nine nations plus their own aren't entirely squeaky clean when it comes to sponsorship of terrorism one way or another. Since when are we trusting the House of Saud?

Another way of looking at things is that whatever position Trump endorses is more often than not likely born of self interest and based on lies. Adding his weight immediately calls into question the legitimacy of the claim Qatar is a massive state sponsor of terrorism. With that in mind, I think it would be a touch early for the AFL and Sydney to make any sort of statement on the matter until some genuine evidence of the claim is produced.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Given the head of his own state department has called for an easing, it probably suggests the ties are spurious - or the nine nations plus their own aren't entirely squeaky clean when it comes to sponsorship of terrorism one way or another. Since when are we trusting the House of Saud?

Another way of looking at things is that whatever position Trump endorses is more often than not likely born of self interest and based on lies. Adding his weight immediately calls into question the legitimacy of the claim Qatar is a massive state sponsor of terrorism. With that in mind, I think it would be a touch early for the AFL and Sydney to make any sort of statement on the matter until some genuine evidence of the claim is produced.
    I think I've been a tad inarticulate. I'm not as much interested in the merits per se, but rather there's a bunch of folks around the AFEL and NSW footy who are radical about their brand protection. I would've thought this would've triggered some sort of action to protect or insulate their brand. I'm surprised that they've sat on their hands, and whatever twists and turns come (ie Trump), then they're playing a reactive game and not being ahead of things. Even coming out and saying they've spoken to Julie Bishop about Qatar, and 'we are reassured there's no reason to question Qatar or Qatar Airlines'. It's not the usual MO seemingly.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree that Qatar looks dodgy, just totally disagree with you placing value in Trump's view.

11. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't disagree that Qatar looks dodgy, just totally disagree with you placing value in Trump's view.
    I don't believe a word that comes out his mouth, frankly I find him one of the most repugnant people to be in such an office in the modern times. Except the hateful, ignorant stuff he says. I can believe he's that hollow a human. But his comments, and way they were made in contradiction to Tillerson, could escalate this topic area from a media perspective and if it's a slow news day tomorrow in the tabloids you can see Sydney's sponsorship from Qatar coming into sharp focus. As I said above, I would've thought the AFEL, Sydney & NSW footy would've got so far in front of the issue to protect their brands. Now a tabloid journo can say openly 'US President says Qatar is funding global terrorism & Sydney Swans are inadvertently helping them by taking their blood money via sponsorship to increase market share in Australia to further fund attacks, including possible terrorist attacks on Australians'. Not to mention they'll ask idiots in Federal Parliament what their thoughts are.

That's not really placing value in Trumps view, I'm assuming the tabloid media will do what they do with Trump comments and finding an Australian link somehow. If they do, some footy brands are going to take some solid hits and usually they're ahead of things. But not this time now.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they could change their sponsorship to this company:
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.mi...l-10584610.amp
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry this thread should be deleted. This is a footy forum and we shouldn't be discussing politics.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i stopped reading as soon as Trump says was used as an argument.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sorry this thread should be deleted. This is a footy forum and we shouldn't be discussing politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    i stopped reading as soon as Trump says was used as an argument.
    Leave politics at the door, even fox sports have covered it now. 10 counties accuse Qatar of funding global terrorism. 9 countries have imposed sanctions on Qatar Airways. Qatar Airways have their cash into the Swans to grow their brand in Australia.

Just nothing to see here for Sydney or AFEL?

Post Thanks / Like

Politics aside, it's not in the interest of any of Sydney, AFEL or AFELNSW to proactively bring this issue to the fore.

If I was setting the strategy I'd have a few simple Q&A talking points distributed internally, and wait for the attention to come.

Prior to doing so, I'd have made contact with key personnel at Qatar to discuss the matter. Remember, the AFEL or Swans aren't the customer here, Qatar is. Jumping the gun unnecessarily could see a few million walk out the door.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Politics aside, it's not in the interest of any of Sydney, AFEL or AFELNSW to proactively bring this issue to the fore.

If I was setting the strategy I'd have a few simple Q&A talking points distributed internally, and wait for the attention to come.

Prior to doing so, I'd have made contact with key personnel at Qatar to discuss the matter. Remember, the AFEL or Swans aren't the customer here, Qatar is. Jumping the gun unnecessarily could see a few million walk out the door.
    That seems to be the case (you make) a few days ago;

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/busi...115c15e5c509ee

Two questions to me are:

Are they using their money, including QA profits, to fund terrorism? But I'll leave that a aside, suffice to say sponsorship is wrong if they are.
    Why not prompt the Australian Government (Foreign Minister, Sports Minister) to come out after a 'briefing', quash Qatar as a terrorist state, and move on banking their QA cheques?

Comments from Trump, and anything ahead, only serve to pump oxygen into it. As a society we had issues with tobacco advertising/sponsorship, now it's gambling advertising/sponsorship and soon to be alcohol, sugar &/or fat advertising/sponsorship. As a fan of footy, it'd be reassuring to know the governing body is proactive on this one. Even a simple make belive inquiry from the general counsel or 'integrity unit'. I don't think it's going away as an issue.