Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  83
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Season - Will we make the top 4?

I think the apprehension is born from understanding we're not putting anything near our best on the table to date, but we also need to take into account our losing games have been at Subiaco, Manuka, Subiaco, Geelong and the SCG. How many of these in a season would we ever expect to win?

Yes, I understand we've not been any good for extended periods in most games, and only in one or two of those above have we contended properly. But, we're as good as any chance to beat Melbourne, North and WCE at Docklands, and given how silly this season is we're good enough to beat Adelaide at Adelaide.

Conversely, we're chance to be rolled in a few of them too. But, look at our run home and what's genuinely fearful for us? There's not much.

With the awesome form of the finals lingering in our minds we seem like a rabble right now. A little common sense selection wise, and some attention to detail from our players and we'll surprise ourselves with how competitive we can be.

We won't finish any lower than 5th or 6th.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We were completely uncompetitive against Sydney, but it was the first time for the year. We need to bounce back and quick, but I haven't given up yet
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit of an optimist
    Beat the demons. Get a little confidence
    beat the Roos. Start to feel a bit better about ourselves
    beat the eagles at home. Good place to meet them
    after three wins feel really good going to Adelaide and hit them hard. If we somehow manage to win these four then the next four are not so bad.
    So I'm saying season well and truely alive with seven from the next eight a chance.
    The crows and Essendon after the trip up north are the hardest we have in the next eight rounds. This could rescue our season the next four weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Best case for me is another 8 wins, more likely 7. Scrape into the 8 and then cause some havoc.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Unless something drastically changes we miss finals. And it won't even be close. Brisbane and Gold Coast aren't even certainties at this stage. I mean the lions were belting us at Etihad not too long ago. The thing for me is we've played 11 games of football and only 2 of them have looked any good. I've been waiting half a season for us to show up and give a complete effort. I just don't think it'll come until it's too late

6. Likes Dry Rot, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were a strong top 4 chance at the start of the season and while we look somewhat ordinary the next 3 weeks tells the story.

I can't see us missing the finals and won't be disappointed if we finish in the top 6.

If we can lift the intensity and get our selections right we can be right back in this. It all starts for us next week
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's truly between the ears for us. So if we do manage to make the finals then look out. Even from 8th

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy to be glass half full for at least the next few games. Give everyone at the club, not only players, a chance to try and remedy the appalling lapses of judgement, endeavour and application that made up the collective disaster of last Thursday. There's no time to dwell on blame distribution for too long; next game has got to take priority.
    Top four finish looks remote, but it's been a year of surprise results. Maybe the cards can fall our way.
    Go Dogs, we can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

No, and it doesn't matter - we are the only team who will make the finals who will have no doubt that we can win the premiership. Every other team have skeletons in the closet.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to be a fly on the wall around the Club this week. I'd be hoping to hear some strong inspirational messages that emphasize what we do best - get numbers to every contest, spread and run. That together with the right selections will get us back on track. As many have pointed out, this is a very even year. We have not shown our best form at all in the first half of the year. I'm hoping we are going to see it in the second half.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get we haven't been great, but which teams look really strong? Lets have a look.

GWS- Lock them in. Stand out side.
    Crows- Lots of doubts over their mid depth. Reliant on home games and belting crap.
    Cats- Elite in Geelong but have question marks still. Before their home streak they looked poor.
    Tigers- Self explained.
    Port- Flat track bullies
    Essendon- I am actually impressed with their best but very consistent.
    Eagles- Flat track bullies.
    Freo- When they are down, they are pathetic.
    Dees- Very inconsistent
    Pies- Great mid but obvious issues.

Basically only side that can really look ahead with confidence is GWS. If the Cats can win on the road against the Eagles next up, they join them.

14. Likes soupman, Eastdog, bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I get we haven't been great, but which teams look really strong? Lets have a look.

GWS- Lock them in. Stand out side.
    Crows- Lots of doubts over their mid depth. Reliant on home games and belting crap.
    Cats- Elite in Geelong but have question marks still. Before their home streak they looked poor.
    Tigers- Self explained.
    Port- Flat track bullies
    Essendon- I am actually impressed with their best but very consistent.
    Eagles- Flat track bullies.
    Freo- When they are down, they are pathetic.
    Dees- Very inconsistent
    Pies- Great mid but obvious issues.

Basically only side that can really look ahead with confidence is GWS. If the Cats can win on the road against the Eagles next up, they join them.
    Agree completely. Our inconsistent and frustrating formline is the norm in the comp this year, so while we should be concerned, we shouldn't be too pessimistic.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately the loss of Adams couldn't have come at a worse time. We are left with key defenders who only have the ability to square a contest rather than win one. Need a massive step-up from Cordy.

Unless our midfield finds form, I think our defence will struggle. It all comes down to Bont, Hunter and Libba to find their best again.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    On recent form, My crystal ball says

So 5 losses, 2 wins, 4 50/50s (split the difference - 2 wins) = only another 4 wins.

10 wins in total if we are lucky.

We miss the finals.
    Wow. Really?

Lets have a look at this a little less hysterically, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Our games

R13 v Demons at Etihad
    R14 v Kangaroos at Etihad
    R15 v Eagles at Etihad
    R16 v Crows at Adelaide Oval
    R17 v Blues at the MCG
    R18 v Suns in Cairns
    R19 v Bombers at Etihad
    R20 v Lions at the Gabba
    R21 v Giants at Etihad
    R22 v Power in Ballarat
    R23 v Hawks at Etihad

What do we reckon?
    Melbourne at Etihad. They've always played Etihad terribly and their form generally has ranged somewhere between erratic and indifferent. Put aside an upset against Adelaide and they've barely fired a shot this year. We'll win.
    Kangaroos at Etihad. *!*!*!*! me, they're sitting 15th and have won 4 games, only one of which has been anywhere near convincing, and yet we're 50/50 to beat them? Please.
    Eagles at Etihad: They've lost 3 on the trot, namely a belting at Etihad courtesy of Essendon, losing at their 'fortress', and being rolled by Gold Coast of all teams. They always travel poorly. We should win.
    Crows in Adelaide: Not many have gotten near them there, I'll concede that one.
    Blues at the MCG: I'm glad you have us at least winning this one.
    Suns in Cairns: We are their bitches. We'll win.
    Bombers at Etihad: I'll acknowledge that they are in good form but having it as a straight out loss is laughable. 50/50.
    Lions at the Gabba: 50/50 against the worst team in the comp? Wow.
    Giants at Etihad: 50/50 at worst. We kicked ourselves out of our last contest and this one will be on our turf.
    Power in Ballarat: Did you not see last night? They're probably travelling worse than we are.
    Hawks at Etihad: Again, I'm glad you have us winning this. The Hawks players are worse than their fans at turning up to Etihad.

Running on your rule of splitting the 50/50s (I'll even round down to be conservative) that's a minimum of 7 wins out of 11 that we're fully capable of. A far cry from four.

We're awesome at turning on our team after a couple of lean weeks.

Get some perspective.

19. Thanks hujsh, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Wow. Really?

Lets have a look at this a little less hysterically, shall we?

Get some perspective.
    I've seen most of our games on TV and the last one live. We have been pretty poor and the form line (aside from the Saints going) is going down.

All season, we've had no forward line and a mostly well beaten mid field.

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

We're awesome at turning on our team after a couple of lean weeks.
    Hardly. We've been pretty shithouse for most of this season.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

21. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post