Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  83
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Season - Will we make the top 4?

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    DR, I owe you an apology. I seriously didn't think it had become so bad.

What makes me stick with my view that we can still make the 8 is that so many are nowhere near what should be expected in terms of output.

The issues I saw yesterday are entirely fixable in a short space of time.
    That they are. But it's been 12 weeks and i haven't seen any improvement. In fact its gotten worse

Post Thanks / Like

DR, I owe you an apology.
    It is easy to whinge, but we need solutions and just potting the club and players and being a negative Nellie doesn't help anyone.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DR, I owe you an apology. I seriously didn't think it had become so bad.

What makes me stick with my view that we can still make the 8 is that so many are nowhere near what should be expected in terms of output.

The issues I saw yesterday are entirely fixable in a short space of time.
    Apology accepted.

But I'll stick with my view too. There's something rotten with our team this year, and I can't see it turning around.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It is easy to whinge, but we need solutions and just potting the club and players and being a negative Nellie doesn't help anyone.
    Where have I whinged, and potted the clubs and players?

I'm not negative, just realistic.

The wheels have fallen off this season.

Post Thanks / Like

According to a analytics website a frequent, liveladders, they have us projected 8th if we win 6 or I reckon 7 from here on in:

R14 v Kangaroos at Etihad
    R15 v Eagles at Etihad
    R16 v Crows at Adelaide Oval
    R17 v Blues at the MCG
    R18 v Suns in Cairns
    R19 v Bombers at Etihad
    R20 v Lions at the Gabba
    R21 v Giants at Etihad
    R22 v Power in Ballarat
    R23 v Hawks at Etihad

I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't bet right now on 6 or 7 wins from that. And I'm in real fear of what the crows could do to this current team in nothing changes by then.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    According to a analytics website a frequent, liveladders, they have us projected 8th if we win 6 or I reckon 7 from here on in:

R14 v Kangaroos at Etihad
    R15 v Eagles at Etihad
    R16 v Crows at Adelaide Oval
    R17 v Blues at the MCG
    R18 v Suns in Cairns
    R19 v Bombers at Etihad
    R20 v Lions at the Gabba
    R21 v Giants at Etihad
    R22 v Power in Ballarat
    R23 v Hawks at Etihad

I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't bet right now on 6 or 7 wins from that. And I'm in real fear of what the crows could do to this current team in nothing changes by then.
    We win 8 out of 10 if we play to our capabilities and match it with the necessary desire - we win 2 out of 10 if we continue along the same path of the last fortnight.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Where have I whinged, and potted the clubs and players?

I'm not negative, just realistic.

The wheels have fallen off this season.
    Hmmm. You've had a something of a reputation as a pessimist since the Eade years.

One the subject I've not abandoned hope but I'm now going into the next few games expecting nothing. We're more than capable of winning enough games to make the finals but unlike last year we've shown ourselves to be just as capable of dropping winnable games hard. The faith I had in the first few games that we'd come back when we were behind has eroded.

I still suspect we'll make finals but I don't think we'll have a run like last year if we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Another question: at what point of the season should we effectively pump games into Webb, Williams, Collins and possibly a couple of others IF our current form doesn't turn around?

I'd argue Webb and Williams are two who should be playing now, but interested on others thoughts re some of our first to second year players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Another question: at what point of the season should we effectively pump games into Webb, Williams, Collins and possibly a couple of others IF our current form doesn't turn around?

I'd argue Webb and Williams are two who should be playing now, but interested on others thoughts re some of our first to second year players.
    I've said we are there now. Still happy to stand by it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Hmmm. You've had a something of a reputation as a pessimist since the Eade years.

Wow, I have a "reputation".

Hmmm, the Eade years....when I said we didn't have a good enough forward line to win the flag, including 2009.

Negative or realistic there?

Post Thanks / Like

Williams was playing well and then had a below average game against the Saints and dropped; I think we should have kept him in.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Wow, I have a "reputation".

Hmmm, the Eade years....when I said we didn't have a good enough forward line to win the flag, including 2009.

Negative or realistic there?
    Yeah I remember it being pointed out and noticed the same from that point onwards. Which is fine as everyone reacts differently and at the very least shows how invested you are in the club. I don't mean it as an insult though I do see why you might take it as one.

One or two twists of fate and we make 2 GFs at which point maybe we win maybe we lose. After all our forward line last year wasn't good enough to win either yet we still won.

The reality of football is that you are more likely to be disappointed than not as only one team can win a premiership. That doesn't mean that dismissing your chances before the dice is rolled is realistic. And our performance against Melbourne doesn't mean your reaction to the Sydney game was rational rather than emotional. Everything we've seen under Bevo suggested that we'd come good the following week. Like we have before under similar circumstances. It's now that we've backed it up that it becomes a real source of concern.

Post Thanks / Like

It kind of goes against the whole selection philosophy doesn't it? Maybe we prefer them ahead of some senior counterparts but we can't be gifting them games. Though that only really is an issue in Collins case as Williams/ Webb have earned their chances

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It kind of goes against the whole selection philosophy doesn't it? Maybe we prefer them ahead of some senior counterparts but we can't be gifting them games. Though that only really is an issue in Collins case as Williams/ Webb have earned their chances
    Best 22 every week - need to stick to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Such a tight season. We are still in this if we can get our stuff in order.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"