Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  93
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Libba

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The big worry for me was the free agency period which has thankfully passed. We aren't going to delist him so I'd imagine they are sorting through a couple of minor sticking points on the new contract.
    Do we have to actually delist him for him to be delisted? Or could his contract just expire?

There is a free agency period for delisted players 1-8 nov, so whilst it’s highly unlikely, surely it’s “possible” he could still be picked up as an FA if we let his contract just run out. Not too sure how it works - anyone know?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Do we have to actually delist him for him to be delisted? Or could his contract just expire?

There is a free agency period for delisted players 1-8 nov, so whilst it’s highly unlikely, surely it’s “possible” he could still be picked up as an FA if we let his contract just run out. Not too sure how it works - anyone know?
    Pretty much as you have suggested - if he doesn't sign a new contract by the end of the month he is effectively delisted. Just wish they would get it done and quit making us nervous!

Post Thanks / Like

It's all be positive news with a theme it will get done but it's at the point now where it need's to be done.
    I'll be disappointed if it's a game of brinkmanship is being played out by Liberatore and Williams.

And given it's likely to be a one year deal as has been speculated we will get to go through this again in 11 months time.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's all be positive news with a theme it will get done but it's at the point now where it need's to be done.
    I'll be disappointed if it's a game of brinkmanship is being played out by Liberatore and Williams.

And given it's likely to be a one year deal as has been speculated we will get to go through this again in 11 months time.
    What is the reasoning behind a one year deal? Is it due to his knee recons or is more to do with attitude. Apologies if this has been answered in earlier posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    What is the reasoning behind a one year deal? Is it due to his knee recons or is more to do with attitude. Apologies if this has been answered in earlier posts.
    I'm not 100% sure but I assumed it was to give him flexibility as an unrestricted free agent next year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    I'd imagine the club would be uneasy giving him a longer term deal and Libba would be expecting that he can get right this year and show he's worth a better/longer contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'd imagine the club would be uneasy giving him a longer term deal and Libba would be expecting that he can get right this year and show he's worth a better/longer contract.
    ok great thanks GVGjr and hujsh for your responses. That all makes sense taking a precautionary approach.

Hopefully Tom is focused again and finds his 2016 form.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it’s more , let’s see how the knees go and if you can get through a season without them going again.
    Remember Clay Smiths reason for retiring, his knees were shot , Redpath knees were shot, would you give a player longer than a year who has had the same injuries ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think it’s more , let’s see how the knees go and if you can get through a season without them going again.
    Remember Clay Smiths reason for retiring, his knees were shot , Redpath knees were shot, would you give a player longer than a year who has had the same injuries ?
    I agree on the knee but also wonder if it has something to do with the players he was hanging with and their antics.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Pretty much as you have suggested - if he doesn't sign a new contract by the end of the month he is effectively delisted. Just wish they would get it done and quit making us nervous!
    Ok. Guess it’s still very unlikely as being delisted after trade period means there is less leverage in negotiating a new contract. If the media is to be believed - generally a bad idea - then he wasn’t keen on a 1 year deal, so if the contract wasn’t good enough for him he’s probably missed the chance to better it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure, but I thought it was publicised that Libba was tick-tacking with the club on certain performance clauses and incentives for a second year. This was about the same time that the FA window closed.

It's an interesting one, my biggest concern with him is his ability to stay on the park and I wouldn't be surprised if that was what the club was worried about too. I am pretty confident they know he's a different type of character, I think their view might be that given how hard he has clearly worked for all seasons aside from 2017, irrespective of his off field silliness, he's probably about all we need or can cope with in terms of "special needs" management - hence the clean out of the rest of them. The point being I doubt the off field Libba is the club's worry.

Honestly, I'm not confident his knees can hold up and he can stay on the park. It's a real pity he pissed away 2017, it might turn out to be his last crack at a healthy season. I hope I'm wrong, he's vital in our midfield as he frees up everyone else to play their more natural games.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there was a sticking point and there was some sort of "let's see how you present on x date" and they adjourned to give him time to prove his commitment before ammending the contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm not sure, but I thought it was publicised that Libba was tick-tacking with the club on certain performance clauses and incentives for a second year. This was about the same time that the FA window closed.

It's an interesting one, my biggest concern with him is his ability to stay on the park and I wouldn't be surprised if that was what the club was worried about too. I am pretty confident they know he's a different type of character, I think their view might be that given how hard he has clearly worked for all seasons aside from 2017, irrespective of his off field silliness, he's probably about all we need or can cope with in terms of "special needs" management - hence the clean out of the rest of them. The point being I doubt the off field Libba is the club's worry.

Honestly, I'm not confident his knees can hold up and he can stay on the park. It's a real pity he pissed away 2017, it might turn out to be his last crack at a healthy season. I hope I'm wrong, he's vital in our midfield as he frees up everyone else to play their more natural games.
    Yeh - the club has been pretty open about the fact they set milestones for his rehab and that he was going on holiday for a week and then his final assessment.

Agreed the off field stuff isn’t a huge concern - sure it’s monitored very closely - but agree that’s not the sticking point for contract.

Post Thanks / Like

For all the consternation I'm assuming this just gets done and Libba - gradually - reclaims his place in the engine room at a level approaching what we know he's capable of.

We need him, and I don't fancy contemplating the alternative, but if we *have* to go there Rhylee West couldn't have bobbed up at a better time.

Best case scenario is they both find their feet quickly and eat anyone alive that dare defy them at the bottom of a pack.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what is the actual date this needs to get done? presume its Oct 31st, the day before the delisted player FA.
    The dam wall has busted!