Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  93
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Libba

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    what is the actual date this needs to get done? presume its Oct 31st, the day before the delisted player FA.
    Pretty much
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs and Tom Liberatore see fit to commit

Tom Liberatore will re-sign with the Western Bulldogs in the next fortnight. That should and should not surprise you.

It shouldn’t surprise because Liberatore is an excellent player and his re-commitment has been foreshadowed for weeks.

It should surprise a little that such a good player remained uncontracted at the Dogs for so long.
    He was not sought or offered in the trade period despite his contract status. He was a free agent, so he could have walked if he wanted to, but he was keen to stay.

Why is it that approaching the end of the football year, when contracts expire at the end of October, Liberatore remains unsigned for next year?

The reason is that re-signing him was no certain thing. The Bulldogs wanted him if he was at his best, but they were worried where he was at.

They wanted to see what condition he returned to the club in. After two knee reconstructions, they wanted to be sure he was fit and ready to play.

After some distractions off the field and questions that raised of his commitment to playing and to the club, they also wanted to know where his head was at.

They are now satisfied.

Liberatore returned to the club earlier than he needed. He is well into a solid weights and running program and giving every indication he will return to his best next year.

That is welcome news at the Dogs, who lost Liberatore’s mate, midfielder and forward Luke Dahlhaus, as a free agent to Geelong. They also lost another key pair – ruckman and key position player Jordan Roughead to Collingwood and key defender Marcus Adams to Brisbane. Adams played only six games in a 2018 disrupted by ankle and shoulder injuries.

The Dogs are also poised to secure another father-son to join Liberatore, Lachie Hunter and Mitch Wallis at the Bulldogs, with Scott West’s son Rhylee to be taken as father-son in this year’s draft. Coincidentally, all four sons have attended the same school, St Kevin’s College, where West is finishing his VCE this year.

3. Thanks Eastdog, bornadog, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearly the club has taken a wait and see approach with the Liberatore re-signing and it was very much on the player to impress the club that he was fit enough enough and focused.

Does anyone else get the impression that we are taking a tougher stance on things than say we did over the last 2 years?

5. Likes Ghost Dog, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Clearly the club has taken a wait and see approach with the Liberatore re-signing and it was very much on the player to impress the club that he was fit enough enough and focused.

Does anyone else get the impression that we are taking a tougher stance on things than say we did over the last 2 years?
    I think it is a pretty reasonable position. 2 knee reco's, an ordinary 2017 and some behavioural issues from time to time.

I 100% want us to re-sign Libba, and with the mind and body in the right place - he can become an important player for us again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

This might be a bit left field but could the club also be sending Oliver Liberatore a message as well? "Don't think you are going to come onboard and get away with the stunts your brother pulled when he first got to the club?" Like I say I might be right off the mark and it obviously isn't the whole reason and from what I've heard Oliver is a lot calmer than Tom.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

All signed up. Looking forward to seeing how he goes

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba

Western Bulldogs midfielder Tom Liberatore will continue his career at VU Whitten Oval after the Club secured his signature for the 2019 season.

The 26-year-old, who joined the Dogs in 2010 as a father-son selection, has played 117 games in his career so far.

He is in the final stages of a rehabilitation program after rupturing his ACL in Round 1 of the 2018 season.

Liberatore has proven his ability as one of the best inside midfielders in the competition, and will be a virtual new recruit for the Club next year.

“Tom is an extremely talented player and such an important member of our side,” said Bulldogs General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power.

“To Tom's credit, he has attacked his recovery really well. He returned to the Club earlier than he needed and has shown an admirable level of commitment.

“He is well into his training program and we’re confident that, with a full pre-season, he will return to his best next year.”

Liberatore said he was thrilled to commit to the Bulldogs and continue his strong family ties with the Club.

“I’m really pleased to be able to re-sign with the Dogs and can’t wait to attack next season,” he said.

“This year has been tough with my recovery, but I’ve had amazing support from my teammates, the medical staff and everyone at the Club.

“I’m as motivated as I ever have been to make sure I do my bit for the team and help us improve next year.”

He can't spell 'motovated' but lets face it he's not on the list for his spelling is he?

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news to hear. Would've preferred 2 years but beggars can't be chooses.

Liked his quote, "“I’m as motivated as I ever have been to make sure I do my bit for the team and help us improve next year.”"

15. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just have a sense he’s going to have a great year

Post Thanks / Like

So pleased to see Libba is back. For a while there I thought I would be watching the 'Dogs this year without Libba and Mitch.

That's two of the must do's done, now for the Bont.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just have a sense he’s going to have a great year
    Hopefully he does, we may rue a one year deal and not making it a two year contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    So pleased to see Libba is back. For a while there I thought I would be watching the 'Dogs this year without Libba and Mitch.

That's two of the must do's done, now for the Bont.
    That would be a nice addition to the good news column.