Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matty Boyd - Can He Reach Some Games Records?

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I don't think he's going to make 300 games which is a great shame as he has all the hallmarks of a 300 gamer plus some. And the plus some? Absolute hard core focus, determination, willingness to work and learn, dedication to his team mates, loyalty, unswerving courage and the list goes on. I would be rapt to see the cards fall his way and for him to go out in glory with another flag. Wouldn't that be something!
    Sadly, I don't think he'll make 300 either. Which is a crying shame, because I don't think any bulldog has matched him for professionalism in my lifetime.

Surely he will make it back for one match for the Rookie Record.

Post Thanks / Like

You would think he'll surpass the 290, although sharing a record with Dean Cox isn't exactly a bad thing.

Considering last year we rested him regularly even with excellent form I would be surprised if he plays 300 though unless he features in 3/4 finals.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering how more content he would be if he can't get to 300, having played in last year's premiership with the Doggies.

I tend to think also he will struggle to get to 300 on current form, but he should take pride in knowing that we love what he has done for our club over the years and that he represents true Bulldog grit regardless of the number of games he gets too.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

4. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure playing in a flag is Boyd's crowning achievement .
    If he gets there, great .
    Just reckon if a younger player stands up in his spot he's going to struggle to get back in

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't that important to me. You have to finish on a certain number of games that becomes your career tally of AFL matches (mine is zero) whether it's 290 or 301 doesn't really make that much difference for mine.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure if you'd asked Matt Boyd at the start of 2002 whether he'd be content with an AFL career of 290 games, 3 x B & F, 3 x All Australian, club captaincy for 3 years and a premiership player, he would have taken that in a heartbeat. Not reaching a random multiple of ten won't reduce what he's been over his career.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

8. Likes azabob, The bulldog tragician, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you'd asked Matt Boyd at the start of 2002 whether he'd be content with an AFL career of 290 games, 3 x B & F, 3 x All Australian, club captaincy for 3 years and a premiership player, he would have taken that in a heartbeat. Not reaching a random multiple of ten won't reduce what he's been over his career.
    Yep. That's what I meant too. Keithy can be proud of what he has acheived and him reaching a numerical statistic will make no difference at all to his contribution he makes and the legacy he leaves to our footy club.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Dumped Boyd has no regrets over playing on

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd says he has no regrets about playing on this season despite being dropped to the VFL.

The 34-year-old tossed up whether to play on in 2017, and has since battled injuries and form after being an All Australian last season.

The defensive playmaker has remained with Footscray in the VFL since being dropped for the round 13 clash with Melbourne, but Boyd says he hasn't given up on returning to the senior side.

He racked up 31 disposals and nine tackles to be one of Footscray's best on the weekend, so is in the mix for a senior return..

"There's no regrets whatsoever from my perspective for playing on," Boyd told RSN radio on Tuesday.

"Initially it was a bit of a challenge (playing in the VFL), just being able to process that news and do it quickly enough to get you back on the park.

"It had been 13 or 14 years since I played VFL footy, so it's been a long time.
    "My eyes were open to the fact that I could play VFL footy, I could have some injury concerns, and miss periods of the season as an ageing athlete.

"I couldn't not go on after last year, (because you) don't give up while you've got something to give, and I've definitely got something to give."

Now on 290 games, Boyd insists his incentive to saddle up for a 15th AFL season wasn't to reach the magical 300-match mark.

Boyd will need to play every remaining game of the home and away season, plus a final to reach the milestone.

If history is anything to go by, Luke Beveridge will only pick him on merit, after the premiership coach left retired Dog Will Minson stranded on 191 games at the end of last season.

"I had a chat to 'Bevo', and I said, 'Don't play me just to get to 300 games, because I don't want to be a burden on the footy club', Boyd said.

"Things would have to go extraordinarily well from here on in for me to get to 300, but it's not a focus."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    "I had a chat to 'Bevo', and I said, 'Don't play me just to get to 300 games, because I don't want to be a burden on the footy club', Boyd said.
    This is why I like Matty Boyd, so selfless, such a clubman.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What a classy person he is . True pro

Post Thanks / Like

Shame he's fallen away this quickly but he will be remembered as a great clubman and leader in the tough times.....and a premiership player in an AA season. A real pro.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is why I like Matty Boyd, so selfless, such a clubman.
    Never seizes to amaze me, Matty (aka in our house 'The Pelicans Own') is a genuine selfless star and It's been our privelidge to have him at our club.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

One. I hope he at least gets one more game to get the rookie record and a send off from us all.
    Two. I'd have no problem with him chasing a rookie spot somewhere else if they're looking for a depth player and strong leader.
    Three. I hope he recaptures his form and fights like hell every week to keep it and gets to 300.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    One. I hope he at least gets one more game to get the rookie record and a send off from us all.
    Two. I'd have no problem with him chasing a rookie spot somewhere else if they're looking for a depth player and strong leader.
    Three. I hope he recaptures his form and fights like hell every week to keep it and gets to 300.
    Yeah if Matty gets to 300 from here he'd be playing pretty good footy and we would be in the finals so your point 3 would be a really good outcome.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Going by his VFL game on the weekend he should be back in this week but not as a backman , he starred on the ball !
    Maybe we need to let him loose one more time with the way our mids are struggling eg Libba and Jong out injured.
    Bring back the biff

19. Likes boydogs liked this post