Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  39
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 13, 2017 - Western Bulldogs V Melbourne

I only saw the game from 10'mins on in the 3rd quarter but a few observation:
    -JJ needs to put in more effort . How in the world jack watts ran around him to allow that kick into the 50 is ridiculous.
    - We have lost the instinct and faith to support each other . Stringer on the wing , stops and delays , does not kick to Bonts or Bonts does not lead, ends up kicking out on the full
    - cam Peresdon kicks ball from centre square and runs down ball his own kick in the last quarter, ball ends up in demons fwd half .He has to be the slowest guy on the ground
    - Mainiac contest has disappeared . Melbourne had 40 unconcetested kicks to our 8,

- our fwd entries, 40 yields with 2 goals. Something not right about the fwd setup. Is redpath injured ? . How big has montgomery loss been ?
    -as much as I would love HC to make it he has just got to nail those shots infrOnt of goal
    - how is Jetta able to out mark our players in the last quarter? Losing the contested game is a real concrrn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    The question is: where do we go from here? We haven't got a lot of options. As a group we are not playing well. Our handballs get us into trouble now. Our field kicking is so poor. Do we have anyone who can takr a contested mark? It will take a miracle to make the eight because our form for the year has been pretty poor. And realistically we would only be making up the numbers unless their is a complete turn around.
    I'm gutted. But still clinging to the hope that we are better than this. Time will tell. I would hate to think we finish 2017 without firing a shot.
    Kids, at least some of them. I know it will labelled as over simplistic. But I want to see Webb & Williams off the HBF. Particularly if JJ leaves, id like to see how Lynch goes for a couple of games at the full speed of afl. The catch is Williams & Webb have been performing and deserve promotion as much as anyone else. I think the benefit they will get, as well as the coaches and list manager are worth giving them a good look. I'd like to see Boyd spend more time forward, but with our entries that won't fix anything. If Lipinski keeps form up, I'd have a glimpse at him too.

I'd hit the free agency market and trade season at full speed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm not expecting the coaching staff and senior management to give a free pass to the players for this season, but as a humble supporter I am. If that makes my attitude poor so be it - happy to wear the label.
    Same here
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Did anyone see how awesome our partying post the GF was, and how amazing Biggsy's Insta is?

Libba was really funny in Vietnam too.

We're watching a team of wankers.
    Don't want to agree, but it's becoming hard...

We've dropped the ball 6 months ago and everyone's been having too much fun to realise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Our dual winger set up hasn't given us anything.
    We had dual wings and they had 4 running off our forward half of the square. I stopped giving it my complete attention, but it killed us based on what I did see.

Post Thanks / Like

As a supporter, how can I dump on the players after what they did for me and every other true believer last year? However for the players and the coaching staff, this is their livelihood - their careers will live and die by the results they produce moving forward. Season 2016 will quickly be forgotten if the results of the last 2 weeks become the norm rather than the exception.

I'm not happy with how we are performing in 2017 (in particular the last 2 weeks - we've been very honest if inconsistent in our efforts up to then). But the credits obtained in 2016 haven't come close to running out for me personally. My sympathetic sentiment won't help when careers are on the line at the end of this season though.
    You dont have to dump on the players, most people havent, but in a match day thread I dont think we should be writing off poor performances based on last years success. I know your original response was done in the right way but last year is last year.

What I wont accept from the club is any notion that as shareholders we should be be happy enough with less than acceptable performances this year because we struck it rich last year.

Melbourne aren't a better side than us but we were out coached and our set up and structure was poor. That's what I think we should be focusing on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Melbourne aren't a better side than us but we were out coached and our set up and structure was poor. That's what I think we should be focusing on.
    Big call, perhaps they simply are. They've been in every game this season - their form has clearly been superior to ours all year.

Perhaps we are not much more than an ordinary middle of the road team. Perhaps we've all over-estimated the depth of talent on our list - I know I'm starting to doubt our talent level. The ladder doesn't lie - we are 6-6 with a sub 100 percentage. That is a bog ordinary team.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not expecting the coaching staff and senior management to give a free pass to the players for this season, but as a humble supporter I am. If that makes my attitude poor so be it - happy to wear the label.
    With all due respect, if we have another poor year in 2018 then I don't think those who essentially swept this years performances under the carpet have a leg to stand on next year if they start voicing their frustrations.

You can't pick and choose when to expect and demand more; we should be a bloody good side but we're bloody awful. It's been 13 weeks - the credits in the bank long ran out and that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they did for us last year.

When the President is still handing invites out to watch a replay of the Grand Final in March, questions should be asked. We can't just live off last year forever and it all starts at the top.

10. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    With all due respect, if we have another poor year in 2018 then I don't think those who essentially swept this years performances under the carpet have a leg to stand on next year if they start voicing their frustrations.

You can't pick and choose when to expect and demand more; we should be a bloody good side but we're bloody awful. It's been 13 weeks - the credits in the bank long ran out and that doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they did for us last year.

When the President is still handing invites out to watch a replay of the Grand Final in March, questions should be asked. We can't just live off last year forever and it all starts at the top.
    I do actually agree with your general sentiment TBB, and I'm sure that the penny has well and truly dropped within the 4 walls if it hasn't already. Coming back from a 62 year drought is a unique set of circumstances, especially for a team that was honest and never dominant in their premiership year. Fair to say we haven't handled the situation all that well thus far.

As per my previous post, maybe we simply aren't as good as we think we are. Who has improved in 2017 from 2016? I can't think of anyone apart from Jongy.

12. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    We had dual wings and they had 4 running off our forward half of the square. I stopped giving it my complete attention, but it killed us based on what I did see.
    Melbourne have done 8 in the back half like that all year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big call, perhaps they simply are. They've been in every game this season - their form has clearly been superior to ours all year.

Perhaps we are not much more than an ordinary middle of the road team. Perhaps we've all over-estimated the depth of talent on our list - I know I'm starting to doubt our talent level. The ladder doesn't lie - we are 6-6 with a sub 100 percentage. That is a bog ordinary team.

We are a team thats finished 7th an 8th the last 2 seasons too, but maybe we just had a great month at the right time.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I do actually agree with your general sentiment TBB, and I'm sure that the penny has well and truly dropped within the 4 walls if it hasn't already. Coming back from a 62 year drought is a unique set of circumstances, especially for a team that was honest and never dominant in their premiership year. Fair to say we haven't handled the situation all that well thus far.

As per my previous post, maybe we simply aren't as good as we think we are. Who has improved in 2017 from 2016? I can't think of anyone apart from Jongy.
    Definitely agree re the unique circumstances and it's why I thought we'd start slow, but we haven't fired a single shot this year.

Your last point is damning; 40 odd players on the list and only 1 has improved. What have our development coaches and senior coaching panel implemented?

Hard to know where to improve but we have gaps structurally and a significant lack of skill and pace in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Did the club move on the assistant coaches at the end of last season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Definitely agree re the unique circumstances and it's why I thought we'd start slow, but we haven't fired a single shot this year.
    Agreed, that's why I was very happy going to the bye at 6-4, being in every game until late in the last qtr, and having just restricted a top 8 contender to 50 points at Etihad. Honestly thought we would become more consistent after the bye and start a run of strong form - the last 2 weeks have been humbling and have shaken my belief in our talent pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Yes I was watching that GD too. At one stage they had the dual wings and 6 players running from their half backline into the centre square after the ball is bounced. This is why they get so many balls out of the centre.