Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  39
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 13, 2017 - Western Bulldogs V Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    We are a team thats finished 7th an 8th the last 2 seasons too, but maybe we just had a great month at the right time.
    That's a fair assessment, fact even. The "just" part grinds my gears a bit though, feels like the use of that word diminishes the enormity of what we achieved. No one has done it, it'll be a long time before it happens again. We put together the greatest Premiership run ever, IMO.

All that stuff is irrelevant now though. We are not playing at an acceptable level and have clear issues that need to be addressed. This past fortnight has confirmed a departure from the qualities that defined this squad and affirmed our identity. Self preservation and poor application are no where near as flattering as dogged perseverance and selflessness.

2. Likes chef, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did not enjoy that today.

We were beaten comfortably today. I thought the comeback might happen but it never eventuated. Scoring our first goal in the 2nd quarter 10 minutes in simply not good enough. Our forward line structure is dreadful we get it in there enough but cannot take any advantage of it while in there.

Roughy I thought did good early on way to much hand balling just kick the ball as many supporters around me were saying and not enough picking up the opposition and pressure. Stringer very poor and Bonti unbontlike at the moment the person behind me reckons he could be carrying an injury.

We have a lot of work to do to make the 8 this year and 4-5x more work to make the top 4.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes I was watching that GD too. At one stage they had the dual wings and 6 players running from their half backline into the centre square after the ball is bounced. This is why they get so many balls out of the centre.
    That and our ruckman hitting it precisely where Melbourne wanted it. Its a good thing for Melbourne that they didn't play Gawn today - even he couldn't have given them the silver service that Roughead and Boyd gave them today. I'm really annoyed that nobody asked Beveridge about it at the press conference - I would love to understand why he and the midfield/stoppage coaches didn't think they needed to change our method in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    Did the club move on the assistant coaches at the end of last season?
    No, reshuffled them.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

God I'm going to sound like a softy here but the spectacle that I witnessed today from both clubs was embarrassing. I might be a bit more sensitive because my 3 year old sion was there but the fighting, wrestling, cheap shots and poor sportsmanship was a disgrace. It's no wonder kids are flocking to soccer. It's the 1st time I've taken my boy to the footy this season and won't be taking him back in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    God I'm going to sound like a softy here but the spectacle that I witnessed today from both clubs was embarrassing. I might be a bit more sensitive because my 3 year old sion was there but the fighting, wrestling, cheap shots and poor sportsmanship was a disgrace. It's no wonder kids are flocking to soccer. It's the 1st time I've taken my boy to the footy and won't be taking him back in a hurry.
    Especially the second quarter. I thought the umpires lost control. It may sound bias, but I felt Melbourne instigated it and tried to upset us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    God I'm going to sound like a softy here but the spectacle that I witnessed today from both clubs was embarrassing. I might be a bit more sensitive because my 3 year old sion was there but the fighting, wrestling, cheap shots and poor sportsmanship was a disgrace. It's no wonder kids are flocking to soccer. It's the 1st time I've taken my boy to the footy and won't be taking him back in a hurry.
    Bugger, I know you've been looking forward to that a lot. Shit that his first game was that. Hopefully that doesn't spoil footy too much for him thinking that's what it is.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Especially the second quarter. I thought the umpires lost control. It may sound bias, but I felt Melbourne instigated it ad tried to upset us.
    Yeah that's how I felt as well. Nothing wrong with playing with a hard edge today was over the top. Did not like it all and I probably should have left half way through the 2nd quarter. I felt awful that I put him through that.

Post Thanks / Like

Especially the second quarter. I thought the umpires lost control. It may sound bias, but I felt Melbourne instigated it ad tried to upset us.
    They certainly did lose control. Melbourne tried to ruffle us, and it seems it worked.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bugger, I know you've been looking forward to that a lot. Shit that his first game was that. Hopefully that doesn't spoil footy too much for him thinking that's what it is.
    Sorry wasn't his first, first of the year.

We all enjoyed Boss Baby.

Post Thanks / Like

The umpires gave Bugg the second goal. After he lined up & collected Wood. Then Roughy didn't get a free a minute later after being slung by the neck to the ground because he 'initiated it'.

Our guys have two sets of rules to navigate this year. They don't get protected by the umpires, which gives cowards the audacity to do more and when we responded nothing again. Which emboldens them further. Then it falls into the garbage spot fires that should not have occurred in the first place.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    They certainly did lose control. Melbourne tried to ruffle us, and it seems it worked.
    I thought it sprung us into life. And would've really sprung us into life if Honeychurch didn't piss away an early snap 10m, in front and then Watts goaling the other way. Honeychurch killed that comeback. I think they were smart not bringing it out as much in the second and just leave us an Impassionate group rolling through the motions.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I still on an AFL-related site?

Post Thanks / Like

Especially the second quarter. I thought the umpires lost control. It may sound bias, but I felt Melbourne instigated it and tried to upset us.
    The refusal to officiate to the rules of the game was astounding. Disgusting display from the umpires. The rewards cowardice.

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    The refusal to officiate to the rules of the game was astounding. Disgusting display from the umpires. The rewards cowardice.
    Totally agree. Sure we were poor today but the umpiring was atrocious.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"