Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  39
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 13, 2017 - Western Bulldogs V Melbourne

Defence conceded 17 goals today close to 20 very disappointing as this is area we are pretty good at added to a dysfunctional forward line.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe this team won us a flag last year. This team doesn't resemble the team i've watched in 2015 & 2016.

Leading into the year i was worried that if we lost that hunger then we would lose our edge & then we would just be a run of the mill team. I think we've been bloody lazy all year but for the most part got away with it because we were still playing ok offensively. Now we've lost our confidence & the laziness we've had all year defensively is coming home to roost.

Today we were consistently outnumbered all over the ground for the entire game. Its the reason they scored so many easy goals, we just refused to work hard when we don't have it. We just look so out of form & the lack of cohesion was a major issue. We don't seem to be playing for each other anymore. I'm not sure what bevo can do cause he's been making plenty of changes but every week we get the same result.

At the moment we are just too easy to play against & every team is putting their hand up to play us. What really stings is we are starting to become a joke. The opposition is laughing at us & that doesn't sit well with me.

3. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    At the moment we are just too easy to play against & every team is putting their hand up to play us. What really stings is we are starting to become a joke. The opposition is laughing at us & that doesn't sit well with me.
    Got a message from a mate, a Blues supporter - "Can't wait to play you guys in a few weeks".... Says it all, really.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

This is the bit that is really triggering my rage. All the hard work and effort to affirm our identity as a tough, hard team that always shows up has been whittled away. We were all swept up by this squad and Bevo because they reflected the things we love to perceive in ourselves as a Club. How we are presenting at the moment tells a story we don't value but outsiders want to ascribe to us. That we were just lucky, the rabble club that got a charity ride, an anomaly etc.

Can't cop that. Certainly not from Melbourne.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    This is the bit that is really triggering my rage. All the hard work and effort to affirm our identity as a tough, hard team that always shows up has been whittled away. We were all swept up by this squad and Bevo because they reflected the things we love to perceive in ourselves as a Club. How we are presenting at the moment tells a story we don't value but outsiders want to ascribe to us. That we were just lucky, the rabble club that got a charity ride, an anomaly etc.

Local derby next week against the Kangaroos so I'm hoping we show some fight next week.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Local derby next week against the Kangaroos so I'm hoping we show some fight next week.
    Going to need to show a bit more than that if we want to earn back even an ounce of respect

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

I personally couldn't give two shits what other club supporters think of our premiership triumph. That's in the book forever and a day, and it will take something extraordinary to knock off our 4 week finals run last year.

We are stinking it up at the moment but that means nothing in context of recent history. All it means is that we are currently not a contender for 2017 based on the last 2 weeks and fair enough, but with 10 rounds to go we have time on our side to turn it around. Do we have the hunger and talent? Time will tell.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes Twodogs, chef, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe this team won us a flag last year. This team doesn't resemble the team i've watched in 2015 & 2016.

Leading into the year i was worried that if we lost that hunger then we would lose our edge & then we would just be a run of the mill team. I think we've been bloody lazy all year but for the most part got away with it because we were still playing ok offensively. Now we've lost our confidence & the laziness we've had all year defensively is coming home to roost.

Today we were consistently outnumbered all over the ground for the entire game. Its the reason they scored so many easy goals, we just refused to work hard when we don't have it. We just look so out of form & the lack of cohesion was a major issue. We don't seem to be playing for each other anymore. I'm not sure what bevo can do cause he's been making plenty of changes but every week we get the same result.

Great post Anfo but when a team as talented as ours can't score a goal and the better part of 40 minutes of footy it comes down to structure, set-up and skills and that doesn't always just fall to the players. I thought the endeavor was there but our handball, handball handball then kick approach falls down at the kick stage because we are often tackled by then. At the very least we are under a lot of pressure at the end of the chain.

Last year we had a number of players who rotated through the middle and we are now down on numbers. Melbourne on the other hand had plenty of players rotating through.

We've been worked out and our game plan isn't as easy to execute now.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Umpiring decisions are the least of our concerns. You play well, you get the rub of the green. You play rubbish you get nothing.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

12. Likes GVGjr, Twodogs, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, 10 minutes into the first term there's no way that I would have predicted a 10 goal loss. We looked completely dominant. And although they clawed their way back into the inside fifty count and contested ball, to eventually beat us in those areas, it does seem like there is something structurally wrong with the setup if we are competitive in all of contested ball, tackles and inside fifties. We can't win games when we're kicking a goal every 6 entries.

It looks like we're not able to move the ball quick enough, but also just incapable of creating space in the forward line once it's there. At one point, one of the commentators mentions that Melbourne looked more likely to score from our forward fifty stoppages than we did, and it was hard to argue against that call.

When I look on the team sheet, I don't see many goalkickers, I see about 10 midfielders rotating into the forward line. Do we really have so little respect for forward craft that we think it's okay to not have any permanent forwards? And okay to play all players in the midfield at VFL level regardless of where they'll end up playing at AFL level?
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

I agree we looked a lot more determined from the opening bounce yesterday. But it was short-lived. Our skills were horrendous which blew out the lead early with shocking turnovers under little pressure. But its really our running without the ball that's causing us problems. We aren't prepared to do the hard work defensively. We were the best in the comp by a long way at this last year and especially in the finals. Why has it disappeared? It must be a lack of desire after the flag. Will it come back? I bloody hope so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    It looks like we're not able to move the ball quick enough, but also just incapable of creating space in the forward line once it's there. At one point, one of the commentators mentions that Melbourne looked more likely to score from our forward fifty stoppages than we did, and it was hard to argue against that call.
    Our game is based on running the ball out of the backline, quickly and this is just not happening. Last year blokes like JJ, AA HBF Boyd, Biggs, Wood all moved the ball very quickly out of the backline. Even this year with the return of Murphy, we were able to win games, or at least be very competitive running and bouncing from the backline forward.

The last two weeks, JJ has been held, no Murphy, Biggs not playing at the same level and Wood is forced to play tall. Because we have been unable to do this, sides now flood our forward line and we have no choice but to bomb it in. WE are giving no opportunities to Stringer, Dickson, Cloke or any talls.

I really believe we need Wood to not be playing on guys taller than him, but we don't have much choice there. These days, games are won from quick movement of the ball from the backline. Have a look at GWS and the Crows.

We need Murphy back urgently, JJ back on track and perhaps give someone like Lynch a go. We need to stop playing Wood on talls. We have no choice but to either play Roberts at Fullback, or chuck Collins in there.

The Bull shit about hunger, premiership hangover, doesn't sit with me. There are other issues at play.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Our game is based on running the ball out of the backline, quickly and this is just not happening. Last year blokes like JJ, AA HBF Boyd, Biggs, Wood all moved the ball very quickly out of the backline. Even this year with the return of Murphy, we were able to win games, or at least be very competitive running and bouncing from the backline forward.

The last two weeks, JJ has been held, no Murphy, Biggs not playing at the same level and Wood is forced to play tall. Because we have been unable to do this, sides now flood our forward line and we have no choice but to bomb it in. WE are giving no opportunities to Stringer, Dickson, Cloke or any talls.

I really believe we need Wood to not be playing on guys taller than him, but we don't have much choice there. These days, games are won from quick movement of the ball from the backline. Have a look at GWS and the Crows.

We need Murphy back urgently, JJ back on track and perhaps give someone like Lynch a go. We need to stop playing Wood on talls. We have no choice but to either play Roberts at Fullback, or chuck Collins in there.

The Bull shit about hunger, premiership hangover, doesn't sit with me. There are other issues at play.
    Bevo argued against GPS tracking data being made available. At the moment it might be the best way to understand what's gone wrong with our game, and what you're describing.
    'Players inside fifty per entry' - that would be one valuable stat.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There is no such thing as a premiership hangover. It's a convenient term used to explain why talented people aren't performing at the required level. The real reason is of course is a failure by the coaches to set the expectations with all the players and themselves.
    Make an example of just one player early on and and the rest would have quickly awoken from any slumber.

I remember reading on here that the players will fire up this year for Bob Murphy. Well that bit of inspiration lasted about 10 minutes.

We've had our share of injuries which is a valid point but it doesn't fully explain why we have dropped so far back.
    We missed out during the trade period to bolster a strong list and we are paying a hefty price for that. Our game plan has been worked out and we haven't adjusted. We haven't improved our skill level and that is also hurting us.

There are many things that aren't working for us so far this season but I'm 100% with Bevo it's not a premiership hangover.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Who has improved in 2017 from 2016? I can't think of anyone apart from Jongy.
    Better
    Jong
    Dale
    Daniel
    T Boyd
    Cordy
    Dahlhaus
    Macrae
    Stringer
    Adams
    Williams

Same
    Roberts
    Morris
    Suckling
    Honeychurch
    Webb
    Collins
    Wallis
    Campbell
    Roughead
    Hamilton
    Lynch
    Redpath

Worse
    Hunter
    M Boyd
    Johannisen
    Picken
    Wood
    Biggs
    Murphy
    Bontempelli
    Liberatore
    C Smith
    Dickson

New
    English
    Lipinski
    Young
    Greene
    Mullenger-McHugh
    Tweedie
    Cloke

>50% Injured
    Crameri
    Prudden
    R Smith
    Dunkley
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

20. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post