Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My take on who's done what in 2017.

Like most I am trying to work out why we have been so ordinary this year. It's not just the last two games either. We played a great game against Sydney early on, should have beaten GWS away and played some good football against the Saints just 3 weeks ago. Apart from that we have had to pull out all stops to win from behind against teams that have managed to make us look ordinary. Brisbane for example just killed us for nearly an hour.

I'm not big on the tactical side of things, but I know this: coming in to this season I was full of hope that we were well placed to back up. Why? Because we had the best young list who would improve with games under their belts and some big names to come back.

So what's happened? We lose Stewart Crameri for the year - vital to our forward set up. Travis Cloke began pretty well I thought and then gets smashed up. Five weeks out and he's struggled to have an impact since.

Bob has been good and has been able to impact games - definitely a plus but ... injured.

Fletcher Roberts - has not improved. He's marching on the spot and has not cemented his spot.

Easton Wood has dropped off. Not a dominant interceptor anymore and has become fumbly too of late.

Shane Biggs - I expected him to continue his stellar finals campaign form - it hasn't happened.

Dale Morris has been his usual, reliable no-nonsense self and is rarely beaten.

Young Williams has been good at times and I thought he was unlucky to be dropped.
    Matthew Boyd has struggled to have an impact and has often been under pressure. Why? I guess he's slowed down and the players around him are not pulling their weight too.

Matt Suckling has got us into a lot of trouble at times with costly turnovers and his kicking has not been the weapon it's supposed to be.

JJ? Sad to say that he has been exposed and now has to wear the consequences. I hope he has it in him to come back hard and do what he does best - take the game on and kick long.

Lachie Hunter? He cops a lot of criticism and I can't really understand why. He gets a lot of the ball but this year he's often found himself under pressure. However, I think he's generally handled it ok and not turned it over too much. That being said has not been as as attacking as before.

Jack Macrae - having a very good year. Consistent and works very hard.

Libba? What can you say? He got dropped for lack of form. Who would possibly have predicted that at the beginning of the year?

Wally? Has been terrific. Could not have asked for more.
    Dahl? Another goer. Absolute 100% player who wrings himself out every game.
    Caleb Daniel has definitely been a plus since being dropped.

Josh Dunckley : I'd marked him down for a big year. Started slowly, now injured.
    Tory Dickson - battling injury all the time. Has not been able to have an impact.

Toby McLean - has not improved.
    Jake Stringer - this year has not developed his game to become the gun he should be.

Bonti - his form has gone south this year. Why? Opposition and umpires are targeting him.

Tom Boyd - has not improved. Shouldering a heavy load but for big guy does not mark the ball enough although rarely gets the frees he deserves. His ground level work is good, competes well but sloppy handball lets him down.
    Jack Redpath - I'd like to see him in the side for his physicality and he can lead into space and kick straight.

Tom Campbell - he's orbiting but will he ever land?
    Lin Jong - has improved overall but not in any remarkable way and is no longer available.
    Honey - had his chance but let it slip. Will probably get another but for him the clock it ticking.

Lucas Webb - hasn't been able to secure a spot in a team that is performing poorly.
    Bailey Dale. I think he's improved. He's been getting more if the ball but has not been kicking goals and that's his job.

Marcus Adams - really good year until ... We miss him down back.

I may have left a couple of players out. But that, for me, tells a story. We have a lot of players who have lost form and are just not having the expected impact on games.
    Last edited by merantau; 22-06-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Thanks bornadog, Twodogs, GVGjr, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, Bulldog Joe, 1eyedog, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My take on who's done what in 2017.

Forgot Roughie. I guess that says something in itself. Injured for weeks. Hasn't had much of an impact since coming back.

Post Thanks / Like

And Liam Picken. Hasn't been the same player since his concussion. Plays with the same endeavour mind you but is getting caught with the ball and shots on goal have dried up.

Post Thanks / Like

Zaine Cordy has been an improver for mine. I thought he played some decent games prior to being dropped and looks like locking up a key defensive post. Disposal can still be ordinary.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, agree with you on that one. I think he's been good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Zaine Cordy has been an improver for mine. I thought he played some decent games prior to being dropped and looks like locking up a key defensive post. Disposal can still be ordinary.

Yeah I've got Zaine down as an improver despite having played some twos this year. Players who have improved are thin on the ground though.

Great read M.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Great summary. The big issue being most of the players are under 25 and should naturally improve. So what's going on? Hangover? I know the club denies it but let's face it. It's 95% of our list who have either stagnated or dipped in form. That points to a group issue. I know the inner sanctum of the club has to deny a hangover. But i honestly think it has to be. You only have to be 2-3% off to get beaten in this league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Great summary. The big issue being most of the players are under 25 and should naturally improve. So what's going on? Hangover? I know the club denies it but let's face it. It's 95% of our list who have either stagnated or dipped in form. That points to a group issue. I know the inner sanctum of the club has to deny a hangover. But i honestly think it has to be. You only have to be 2-3% off to get beaten in this league.
    Why should they? Perhaps they played at their peaks in 2016 (when they were under the radar) and have nothing more to give.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for your post M (a side note, can you put in a few line breaks, hard to read)

Some observations (or excuses )

* Wood - had ankle surgery which I think has set him back, but he is still a gun player.

* Tom Boyd had Shoulder and ankle surgery, but I believe his ruck work is improving. Has only had 4 contested marks this year, so hopefully he will have a better half.

* Roughead - injury hasn't helped him or the side.

* Roberts - started the season really well and I thought he was more confident than at times last year. I think he will improve more as he matures.

* Dahl - massive improvement, should just about be leading the B&F

* Stringer - 20 goals from 10 games and averaging the same disposals as the last three years - on track to kick close to 50

* Daniel - going along nicely and another big improver.

Most of your comments I agree with, except Redpath. Needs to be kicking goals at VFL before he is allowed back in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

* Dahl - massive improvement, should just about be leading the B&F
    What makes you say Dahlhaus's improvement has been massive? His numbers are pretty much the same as last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    As Luke Hodge said they partied hard in 2008 and struggled to catch up the following year. A lot of the young guys came back in party mode and have played catch up since. Other teams were getting fit and expanding on our game plan and some have now mastered it. Just not sure we are going to catch up this year. We have come back from a long way back in regards to fitness but I guess it was worth it with a flag. They need to somehow get a spark or look to 2018 with a massive pre season. You cant underestimate where teams are at these days with their fitness and game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What makes you say Dahlhaus's improvement has been massive? His numbers are pretty much the same as last year.
    If you break down last years figures, he had some poor games ( 8 games below 22 disposals) as well as some exceptional games which gave him an average of 26 disposals a game.

This year his lowest game was the first one (24), but since then he hasn't dipped below 25, in other words he is very consistent and I feel more damaging than last year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you break down last years figures, he had some poor games ( 8 games below 22 disposals) as well as some exceptional games which gave him an average of 26 disposals a game.

This year his lowest game was the first one (24), but since then he hasn't dipped below 25, in other words he is very consistent and I feel more damaging than last year.

He's been more durable this year too although he looks like he's played injured a couple of times.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Clay Smith is another player who slipped under my radar. He is another who has had injury problems but by the same token has not been a consistent contributor.

Post Thanks / Like

For me to grade someone's improvement as 'massive' it would mean they go from a fringe player (top 25) to a star (top 5).. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but whilst Dahl has become a more consistent possession gatherer I still think his hurt factor isn't where it should be.. his kicking to advantage is well below standard.

18. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post