Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My take on who's done what in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    For me to grade someone's improvement as 'massive' it would mean they go from a fringe player (top 25) to a star (top 5).. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but whilst Dahl has become a more consistent possession gatherer I still think his hurt factor isn't where it should be.. his kicking to advantage is well below standard.
    Massive maybe an exaggeration, but I still think he is playing better than last year.

He is ranked 18th in the AFL for effective disposals. How many players are there in the AFL? 500 plus - not bad.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why should they? Perhaps they played at their peaks in 2016 (when they were under the radar) and have nothing more to give.
    They generally should because players normally peak in their late 20s and should theoretically improve somewhat as they progress. If they don't their careers will be short lived. I hope the players listed above don't subscribe to the latter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    As Luke Hodge said they partied hard in 2008 and struggled to catch up the following year. A lot of the young guys came back in party mode and have played catch up since. Other teams were getting fit and expanding on our game plan and some have now mastered it. Just not sure we are going to catch up this year. We have come back from a long way back in regards to fitness but I guess it was worth it with a flag. They need to somehow get a spark or look to 2018 with a massive pre season. You cant underestimate where teams are at these days with their fitness and game plan.
    The difference with us is that we supposedly came back in good condition. So fitness shouldn't be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

For me to grade someone's improvement as 'massive' it would mean they go from a fringe player (top 25) to a star (top 5).. Maybe I'm being pedantic, but whilst Dahl has become a more consistent possession gatherer I still think his hurt factor isn't where it should be.. his kicking to advantage is well below standard.
    I tend to agree with you, but can see where BAD is coming from.

Dahl's struggled with his first touch and kicking at times this year, much like he has his whole career and will likely do for its remainder.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The difference with us is that we supposedly came back in good condition. So fitness shouldn't be an issue.
    Perhaps our standards have dropped or plateaued and other teams have improved. We can't underestimate how strong our fitness was in 2016, it was a huge reason why we stayed in games even when not playing well, and were able to attack the ball and man ferociously throughout.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks merantau for the thread.

A couple of things I think could add to the conversation:

The coaching and team selection hasn't been great this year and I think the results have been punished because of it
    The opposition coaches are right onto us and I can't say I've seen any real adjustments or player movements that have provided a spark for us. It's probably very hard to tinker with a game plan through the season anyway.

Our trade period at the end of 2016 and some of the list management decisions left us in a weaker position for the 2017 season.
    I think we will see a very active Bulldogs list management effort at the end of this season.

Our skill level hasn't improved. It was one of Bevo mantras when he first arrived at the club and while we were a brilliant contested ball winner in 2016 there was plenty of work to do to improve our skill level. I don't think there has been any improvement this year.

One last thing, I don't think we should be using the 'premiership hangover' theory some have touted as a valid excuse. The club has been strong in their denial that a hangover is the reason for our performances so far and I agree with that.
    We took the hard decision on Luke Goetz because he wasn't switched on and meeting the standards in 2016 so I would fully expect the coaching crew to do the same to any listed player this year if they weren't sufficiently focused.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes merantau, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    As Hodge said as well that they thought they were in good condition when they came back but were so far behind the other teams. When they won in 2013 they made a commitment to come back in better shape and knew what level they had to get to. It may have been something that was overlooked as the guys are naturally fit anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thankyou for your post M (a side note, can you put in a few line breaks, hard to read)

Some observations (or excuses )

* Wood - had ankle surgery which I think has set him back, but he is still a gun player.

* Tom Boyd had Shoulder and ankle surgery, but I believe his ruck work is improving. Has only had 4 contested marks this year, so hopefully he will have a better half.

* Roughead - injury hasn't helped him or the side.

* Roberts - started the season really well and I thought he was more confident than at times last year. I think he will improve more as he matures.

* Dahl - massive improvement, should just about be leading the B&F

* Stringer - 20 goals from 10 games and averaging the same disposals as the last three years - on track to kick close to 50

* Daniel - going along nicely and another big improver.

Most of your comments I agree with, except Redpath. Needs to be kicking goals at VFL before he is allowed back in.
    Easton Wood was poor last year also, you sure he is still a gun?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Easton Wood was poor last year also, you sure he is still a gun?
    I think many people wouldn't agree with you.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There is little doubt that there has been a Premiership hangover with too many players from our finals team down on form. These include Libba Stringer T & M Boyd Dickson JJ and Wood. Injuries to Roughead Morris Murphy and Dunkley has proved costly. Cloke and Suckling haven't justified their recruitment. The forward line has been almost non- existent in the past two weeks with a heavy reliance on Stringer and Dickson to kick goals, with both down on form. Dahlhaus continues to be our most consistent performer with limited support. The return of Wallis is a plus although now offset by the loss of Jong. Team selection is a concern with the recent decisions to select one key defender and forward. Our disposal into the forward line is a big concern highlighted by our first quarter last week of just one behind from 16 forward advances. A lack of confidence has emerged unlike our ruthless attack on the ball that was such an outstanding feature in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Re Easton Wood. I thought his finals series was outstanding. Can't comment too much on what he did earlier in 2016 but in the last month he was everything you'd want a captain to be. Scored our first goal against Hawthorn to settle us down. Was so dominant in the first quarter against GWS and then made a crucial play at the death. In the big one he was solid and let's not forget he had a serious ankle injury right at the end of the season and many thought he would not make it on to the park for the game against the Cokes.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This might help merantau.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/p...wood?year=2016

He lead the club extremely well last year, when we had injuries and excuses to not be competitive, and when we got the band back together somewhat and had the best finals series ever played by a team in the history of the game.

Easton's season was extremely successful, without being great from a playing perspective. Calling his playing performance poor is well over the top.

I sometimes wonder what we all expect from players. Some get a free pass because they're "hard" and "give everything they've got without shirking an issue" others get spanked week in and week out for not being more brilliant than they've ever shown they can be.

As an example our set up and strategy has been completely disgusting this year, and Suckling who relies on both to flourish, is pretty much playing how he did at his best with the Hawks and everyone's week in week out wanting to drop him for not doing more. People don't realise players like him are more effective when midfield and defensive structures or strategies are working well. They just want them to do "more" not understanding they're in all likelihood playing a role - as a role player - that the team isn't performing sufficiently well enough to benefit from.

15. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog, merantau, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    This might help merantau.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/p...wood?year=2016

He lead the club extremely well last year, when we had injuries and excuses to not be competitive, and when we got the band back together somewhat and had the best finals series ever played by a team in the history of the game.

Easton's season was extremely successful, without being great from a playing perspective. Calling his playing performance poor is well over the top.

I sometimes wonder what we all expect from players. Some get a free pass because they're "hard" and "give everything they've got without shirking an issue" others get spanked week in and week out for not being more brilliant than they've ever shown they can be.

As an example our set up and strategy has been completely disgusting this year, and Suckling who relies on both to flourish, is pretty much playing how he did at his best with the Hawks and everyone's week in week out wanting to drop him for not doing more. People don't realise players like him are more effective when midfield and defensive structures or strategies are working well. They just want them to do "more" not understanding they're in all likelihood playing a role - as a role player - that the team isn't performing sufficiently well enough to benefit from.
    Big Like Jeemak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think many people wouldn't agree with you.
    Absolutely. He was stellar. To me he surgery has been the biggest factor in his diminished output this season. He looks to be getting some confidence back, but his past fortnight has been a return to early season fumbles and indecision. He is getting frustrated with it. The change in personnel making up the back 6 has hurt his game too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yeah good call. That's basically my take on Easton, that he's playing a role every week and thus far hasn't been freed up to be the weapon interceptor we know he can be. He needs reliable tall defenders around him in order to return to the kind of form he showed in 2015.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'