Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  72
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 14, 2017 - Western Bulldogs V North Melbourne

Cunnington gets 2 weeks (1 with early plea).

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the head/neck/throat area. The incident was classified as a two-match sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a one-match sanction.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Cunnington gets 2 weeks (1 with early plea).
    Serves him right
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the one week Schofield got, I wish opposition players would learn it's the game before we play them to get reported not the game we play them , seriously not many of them get it right at all , but I give credit to Schofield , he has moved up a notch in my thoughts of him.
    Bring back the biff

5. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Which is inane stupidity of the public statements.

First: AFEL CEO says we are losing ground to soccer. Parents don't want their children subjected to violence they see on TV so we are going to do something about it.
    Second: Let punches to the stomach and face (holding the jumper makes it not hurt as much...) go unchecked until it's happening every game virtually.
    Three: Because the AFEL weren't proactive about the whole soccer/parents thing they're wanting to address allegedly, they make a reactive public comment about cracking down on it now.
    Four: The MRP, a group of ex-players, don't really want to do anything about it, they don't really do anything about it. If they do what they're told like Hawkin's one week last year, the media rip them to shreds which they don't like so they regress.
    Five: Players don't get suspended for obvious things and get rat cunning. On us alone, Cloke gets his ribs smashed (derailing his comeback as a player with us), Caleb Daniel has his teeth knocked out by Toby Greene who shouldn't have been playing (where's the duty of care for the safety of players), McLean gets punched in the throat and so on.
    Six: Repeat.

Players aren't as safe as they should be. Frankly, like in Daniel's case, I'd like to see a legal action over breaching the duty of care owed to him (there's been some on the ground condition, I think Shaun Rehn was one). There's only real action if it involves the AFEL losing or making money, so that might get their attention about what kind of workplace & workplace safety they should be providing.
    Yep that throat thing is really dangerous. It used to be quite a common thing to grab someone by the throat then you pretty much had someone at your mercy (nose was popular too) but you don't see it so much anymore for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think Cunnington's punch was worth a week for sure.
    Pretty dangerous to be punching someone in the throat like that, and potentially much worse than a punch to certain areas of the head.
    I'd rather be punched in the cheek than in the throat.

I've had a broken cheekbone, I'd rather not be punched in either spot thanks.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Says alot:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just watched a particular point within the final quarter - the Jack Redpath "free" on Marley Williams.

What a *!*!*!*!ing joke that it could be as momentum defining as it was. I cannot believe the ball was turned over for that.

A neutral mate and I were talking about how Redpath was looking down the barrel of delistment if that was actually a free. That effort from the umpire changed the momentum of the game. Disgraceful.

As an addendum to my rant, why was Williams allowed to shepherd 40m away from the ball? Why was he allowed to lead head first into the contest?
    Last edited by jeemak; 27-06-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

No. You must be mistaken. It must be an acid flashback or something. The umpires' robbed North in a concerted effort to get us over the line. It was in the paper.

11. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Umpires should know better when players are staging. It's gotten to the points Ng of being farcical now. MArley is now the new free kick duck diver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    No. You must be mistaken. It must be an acid flashback or something. The umpires' robbed North in a concerted effort to get us over the line. It was in the paper.
    Acid flashback..............

I've decided I'm offended by this.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes chef, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm long enough ill health retired, but all through my time from recruit, to 6 monthly training, to then out - one thing was made very clear. You do not do anything to throat, no hitting in any respect, no grabbing, no choking, no anything. WD would know all that stuff inside and out. It'd be a weird thing if coppers in Victoria were not allowed to punch a violent attacking offender in the throat, yet footballers in Victoria could do it to an opponent for no reason and with no recourse...
    I can back this up, the throat is an absolute no-go zone.

Punches to the throat are downright dangerous. I'd argue more dangerous than a punch to the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I can back this up, the throat is an absolute no-go zone.

Punches to the throat are downright dangerous. I'd argue more dangerous than a punch to the head.
    For sure. If Cunnington landed it a little cleaner we could have been seeing Dr Zimmerman doing an emergency onfield tracheotomy, incidentally the first since Richard Osborne at the SCG. I'm surprised he got a 1 week offer, as players seem to be adapting to not throwing jumper punches to now throwing proper punches trying to land them at the top of the chest (or higher if they're inaccurate). So we are going to see more punches land into players necks/throats and thus more risk of really bad things happening. As usual, the AFEL will wait for something bad to happen until addressing it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Acid flashback..............

I've decided I'm offended by this.

Meh! You're so unhip it's a wonder your bum doesn't fall off.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post