Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2017 National Carnival

There's been some comments that this years draft pool isn't a great one but while it might be light of for the genuine top end talent (ie a consensus #1 pick) I think there a number of exciting prospects and it's a draft I hope we can be strongly positioned in.

The National Carnival is in full swing and today there is a game pitting Vic Country vs Vic Metro at the Punt Road ground.
    It sort of clashes a bit with our Footscray side game today but if you get a chance it should be well worth a watch.

For those who can't attend, I think AFL.com.au are streaming the game starting at 12pm.

Some of the exciting prospects playing today for Metro include:
    Cameron Ranyer - a powerful mid sized forward/midfielder and potential #1 pick
    Will Sutherland - Son of CA boss James who is a key position player who needs to decide between football and cricket
    Jack Higgins - a small forward or midfielder who kicks goals
    Ben and Max King - KP twins who are not eligible to be drafted this year but loom as top choices next year
    Jaidyn Stephenson - tremendous talent and play as a forward on as a mid.
    Joel Garner and Nick Coffield who are half back flanker/midfielders

For Country:
    Oscar Clavarino - a KP defender who generally shuts down his opponents.
    Hunter Clark and Matthew Ling who will join Clavarino across the half back line. Both are attacking defenders/midfielders
    Lochie O'Brien - a midfielder who is a great kick
    Tom DeKoning - who's father player for us many years ago. He's a key forward or ruckman
    Luke Davies-Uniacke - a potential #1 pick who is a strong midfielder who gets a lot of the ball
    Cassidy Parish who's the brother of Darcy
    Paddy Dow - an athletic mid sized forward or midfielder

I'd be interested to hear some other views if you get the chance to watch it.
    Great. I need one more thing. Soda. Yeah, I don't want my guys paying for soda. I want you to stock my machine for three years. I'm serious.

"Lets roll and hey...lets do it to them before they do it to us"

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 National Carnival

Rayner is from my neck of the woods my old cricket clubs footy team Sydenham, he is the first to make it , the club started in 1999. Talking to one of the players during the week they have many more coming through at the western jets or Calder , I'm not quite sure.
    They have a huge amount juniors and the club is starting to get strong in senior football also.
    They aren't big on getting big name players , they had a couple a few years back (Hargrave, Kouta for a game) but mostly pick their own.
    Good club,first president was Mitch Johnsons dad the spinner who played at Essendon.
    A lot of new clubs in that area , Burnside , Caroline springs, Taylor's lakes is also in the same area . Sydenham
    And Taylor's have built a big rivalry.
    I expect a lot more players to come through those clubs in the near future. A young and growing area of children.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember rightly Dekoning was a big blonde guy, didn't play Many games at all and struggled to cement a place in the seniors.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    If I remember rightly Dekoning was a big blonde guy, didn't play Many games at all and struggled to cement a place in the seniors.

That's right. Mainly a defender. Tom is a key forward that also plays a bit in the ruck
    Great. I need one more thing. Soda. Yeah, I don't want my guys paying for soda. I want you to stock my machine for three years. I'm serious.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry dekoning was awful

Post Thanks / Like

Some stats from today's game:

For Country:

* James Worpel - 25 disp, 10 tackles 1 goal.
    * Gryan Miers (24, 2 gl) & Lochie O'Brien good 2nd half

Metro:

* Cam Rayner 21 disp, 3 goals
    * Charlie Constable (31 disp),
    * Joel Garner (24 disp) ,
    * Lachie Fogarty (24, 12 tk, 2 gl)
    * Patrick Naish , Richmond father-son had 24 disp, two goals.
    Premierships: SENIORS - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, 2014, 2016 . AFL 1954, 2016. RESERVES - 1938, 1945, 1962, 1988, 1994, 1998. UNDER 19S - 1954. Other Premierships - Championship of Victoria 1924. VFL Night Series 1963-64, 1967, 1970. Preseason Cup, 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Managed to catch a bit of the game today, tight contest - Country seemed well poised to win in the last but couldn't get value for the efforts in the forward half and VM were able to capitalise with a couple of goals, including a snap which might've come from Cerra?

Couple of players who caught my eye:-
    James Worpel - he's a fairly solid unit already but looks to have some tools
    Hunter Clark and Oscar Clavarino showed a bit at times
    Brett Daniels was another I noted down from Country

King (I think Ben stood out slightly more for me), Stephenson, Cerra, Moore along with Constable and Higgins were players I noticed from VM.

Agree with your comments Gary, the draft looks like it'll bat pretty deep with AFL options.
    #bemorebulldog

Men of Mayhem

Post Thanks / Like

would love to get Rayner, what a player he could be. Also like Clavarino & Higgins. Both would fill current needs of CHB & small forward.
    The Dynasty has begun

Post Thanks / Like

would love to get Rayner, what a player he could be. Also like Clavarino & Higgins. Both would fill current needs of CHB & small forward.
    The Dynasty has begun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Managed to catch a bit of the game today, tight contest - Country seemed well poised to win in the last but couldn't get value for the efforts in the forward half and VM were able to capitalise with a couple of goals, including a snap which might've come from Cerra?

Couple of players who caught my eye:-
    James Worpel - he's a fairly solid unit already but looks to have some tools
    Hunter Clark and Oscar Clavarino showed a bit at times
    Brett Daniels was another I noted down from Country

King (I think Ben stood out slightly more for me), Stephenson, Cerra, Moore along with Constable and Higgins were players I noticed from VM.

Agree with your comments Gary, the draft looks like it'll bat pretty deep with AFL options.
    I think there is a good blend of tall forwards, defenders and midfielders. If you have some decent picks you coukd balance things nicely.

I wonder where Sutherland might be picked? Plenty of potential there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Higgins should go early and Clavarino from around 15 to 20.

Rayner will go early

Doc, anyone else impress you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Higgins should go early and Clavarino from around 15 to 20.

Rayner will go early

Doc, anyone else impress you?
    Garner & Hayes appeal. Also liked Dow from Country. There was quite a lot to like about this game and the talent on show.
    The Dynasty has begun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Garner & Hayes appeal. Also liked Dow from Country. There was quite a lot to like about this game and the talent on show.
    Could you imagine pairing him with Tim English? We would have a ruck/forward combo for the next 10 years

Dow's an explosive type and Garner is a very composed defender

Post Thanks / Like

Squads for this weeks games:

Premierships: SENIORS - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, 2014, 2016 . AFL 1954, 2016. RESERVES - 1938, 1945, 1962, 1988, 1994, 1998. UNDER 19S - 1954. Other Premierships - Championship of Victoria 1924. VFL Night Series 1963-64, 1967, 1970. Preseason Cup, 2010.

Post Thanks / Like