Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Operation: Re-Sign Bailey Dale

The kid has been a bright light in an otherwise mediocre year to date. With a decent run at this year, 7 games so far, his averages per game are (rounded):

Disposals: 18
    Marks: 3
    Clearances: 2
    Inside 50's: 3
    Goal Assists: 1
    Shots: 1 (3.4 should be the other way around with the goal paid as behind that should've been reviewed in Perth)
    Tackles: 2.5

Those are good numbers for a kid whose game tally stood at 14 at the begining of the year, and as an outside player. Last night I noticed just how excellent his hands are in controlling the ball in tight. First for his goals, but in Sucklings snap goal in the last where he was able to grab the ball backhanded at full pace, control it well enough to collect it and dish for the goal assist was not something I've seen too much of.

With more experience and strength he's going to keep improving, and we need his attributes. I know I'm a big fan of the kid, but for me I'd like to see him signed up very quickly. The CBA is done, and he's shown he's worth a spot on the list. Not to mention he's being mentioned by media folks as a very talented kid. Get it done JMac.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes azabob, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation: Re-Sign Bailey Dale

He's a jet. There was a piece of ball handling on the wing and his clever little crumb and goal that make me think he might be in the most talented few players on the list.

I was pretty firm in thinking Webb would still be the best of that draft crop at the start of the year...I might have been wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

He has always been clean and very light on his feet. He is now starting to get more of the footy so it's now more obvious. His goals have always had a touch of class about them.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

The Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. One of those players that seems to glide across the turf. One of my faves from the younger brigade.

Post Thanks / Like

My knock on him had always been that he didn't get enough of the ball. When he was getting it, he was using it well and looked a smooth mover.

Now that he's racking up big numbers there's not much standing in his way.

He's a player all right.

Post Thanks / Like

He's not even 21 years old yet.

Let's apply the average output of anyone who's played two and a half season ever, and think about how it applies to Dale.

If we're doing over players this early we'll be forever rebuilding.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure we would be working on a contract at the moment. He has certainly shown enough to be given another couple of years at least.

He has come along nicely especially considering how light he was when he arrived. He seriously looked like he was 14 years old. He is still quite skinny but you can see he has put on muscle. I have noticed that he is quite strong around the hips and can twist out of tackles. He knows where the goals are too. Yep, sign him up.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs youngster Bailey Dale wants to stay at Whitten Oval

Promising Bulldogs youngster Bailey Dale says he wants to remain at the club beyond this season, with the out-of-contract forward motivated to emulate the premiership success he witnessed on the sidelines last year.

The 20-year-old was one of the Bulldogs' best in their thrilling one-point win over North Melbourne on Saturday night, racking up 18 disposals and kicking two goals.

In a season where coach Luke Beveridge admits the reigning premiers have "stagnated", Dale has been one of the few Dogs to show obvious improvement.

He has played in six of the Dogs' last seven matches, including a breakout game against St Kilda in round 10, when he kicked a goal and had 27 disposals.

Dale struggled for opportunity last season, missing out on the Bulldogs' historic premiership and playing only four senior games.

But even though he could seek greater opportunities at another club, like Nathan Hrovat and Koby Stevens did at the end of last year, Dale said he wants to stay at Whitten Oval.

"Yeah that's the plan, definitely," he said after Saturday night's win.

"I'm not too sure [about contract negotiations], my manager's sorting that out, but hopefully something gets done soon and I can continue playing good footy."

The agile forward said he was pleased to finally get an extended run in the senior team and prove himself at AFL level.

"It's been good to get that continuity and to play consistent footy, which I haven't been able to do in my last two years," he said.

"But now I'm playing a few more games and getting that confidence to really grow my game in the seniors and earn my spot."

Dale said seeing his teammates experience premiership success last September, acted as a driving force for his rapid improvement.

"It certainly does [motivate you]. Obviously everyone wants to play in an AFL premiership and unfortunately I wasn't in the team at the right time to play last year," he said.

"But hopefully we can do it again this year and I can be [in the team] when it happens."

There were fears that Tom Boyd's hefty $6 million contract would make it difficult for the Bulldogs to keep their talented young list together, but so far this has not been the case.

All-Australian pair Jake Stringer and Marcus Bontempelli are locked away until the end of 2018 and 2019 respectively, while this year has seen premiership heroes Fletcher Roberts and Clay Smith recommit to the club.

Besides Dale, the other two noteworthy youngsters yet to re-sign at the Bulldogs are Lukas Webb and Mitch Honeychurch.

Both have struggled to cement their spot in Beveridge's side and could attract offers from rival clubs.

But with the salary cap set to leap 20 per cent this year through the AFL's new pay deal, the Bulldogs will have more money to entice the talented duo to stay put at the kennel.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, Remi Moses, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on a conversation I had on Saturday I believe negotiations are close. It wouldn't surpise me to hear this gets done in the next 2 weeks. There is definitely a spot for him if he continues to develop.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Based on a conversation I had on Saturday I believe negotiations are close. It wouldn't surpise me to hear this gets done in the next 2 weeks. There is definitely a spot for him if he continues to develop.
    So you're saying rack another one up for BT? High five!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So you're saying rack another one up for BT? High five!
    Yep
    I was told another club or two might have got into his managers ear but that we should be confident.
    The one thing about our success last year is it will make a few players impatient if they think they can get a more regular game elsewhere. Dale needs to just have a look at how Jong's concerns on getting regular game were answered this year. Until his injury he had racked up a pretty good season. No reason why Bailey Dale shouldn't back himself to command a regular spot with us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Three words when I think of Bailey.......keeps his feet.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Great poise and skill
    Getting more ball now as well . Need to re-sign

Post Thanks / Like

Improving rapidly, and is a type we need
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff