Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Player form lines

Our most out of form players according to me are;

1. JJ. We are losing so much drive off half back because he is not in the game. This is compounded by the fact that Murph is injured. We run the ball out of half back using a chain of midfielders and consequently get caught at the end of the handball chain with one too many. Desperately need JJ to find form and get Murphy back because we need movers through traffic and running bounce players to put opposition backs under the pump once more. This is especially so considering we are basically playing a makeshift forward line.

2. Dicko. As important to our forward line as JJ is to our backline. Approx.50 goals per season has been the return over the past two years which we have now effectively lost and our points for is suffering because of it. We have little structure moving the ball into F50 and rely on makeshift forwards too much. Dicko is really our one true medium forward and he needs to start getting on the end of them for us to secure a position in the lower part of the 8 leading into finals. Critical player with Cloke in limbo and Crameri out injured.

3. Libba. Perhaps the most important cog in the team. Libba's inside work and outside smarts are probably what we miss the most. Is so down in confidence that I have little to no expectations of him at the moment. He came back well last week but followed on from his previous month's form against North. He's awful at the moment really and if there are problems other than confidence levels (fitness) then that is very disappointing at his stage of the year.

Any others? What's going on with these guys why can't they get in the game?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player form lines

Pretty much nailed it 1ED.

These three were absolutely vital last year and they've had terrible seasons to date in comparison.

Dickson has escaped criticism until this week, but he really has been poor. Might be some silver lining in his past ie. he seems to take a while to get going after returning from injury, but he must be close to playing some VFL footy.

I'd add Picken to this list - had a great last quarter v Sydney, got knocked out v Freo and has largely been a passenger since. Thought he did play better v North which was encouraging, but Picko was our best finals player and his drop in form has hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ was a bit better against North, ultimately he's learning to deal with a tag and we need to keep playing other attacking defenders to step up if the opposition focuses in on him

Libba was better against Melbourne, not sure why he went backwards again

Dickson I have no idea
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    JJ was a bit better against North, ultimately he's learning to deal with a tag and we need to keep playing other attacking defenders to step up if the opposition focuses in on him

Libba was better against Melbourne, not sure why he went backwards again

Dickson I have no idea
    Wood has to stop whacking the opposition players when they hassle JJ. Two weeks in a row he has whacked a player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Our most out of form players according to me are;

1. JJ. We are losing so much drive off half back because he is not in the game. This is compounded by the fact that Murph is injured. We run the ball out of half back using a chain of midfielders and consequently get caught at the end of the handball chain with one too many. Desperately need JJ to find form and get Murphy back because we need movers through traffic and running bounce players to put opposition backs under the pump once more. This is especially so considering we are basically playing a makeshift forward line.

2. Dicko. As important to our forward line as JJ is to our backline. Approx.50 goals per season has been the return over the past two years which we have now effectively lost and our points for is suffering because of it. We have little structure moving the ball into F50 and rely on makeshift forwards too much. Dicko is really our one true medium forward and he needs to start getting on the end of them for us to secure a position in the lower part of the 8 leading into finals. Critical player with Cloke in limbo and Crameri out injured.

3. Libba. Perhaps the most important cog in the team. Libba's inside work and outside smarts are probably what we miss the most. Is so down in confidence that I have little to no expectations of him at the moment. He came back well last week but followed on from his previous month's form against North. He's awful at the moment really and if there are problems other than confidence levels (fitness) then that is very disappointing at his stage of the year.

Any others? What's going on with these guys why can't they get in the game?
    In the cases of Libba and Picken, you would have to question the decision to rush them straight back after head knocks. Picken and Tom Boyd have also had indifferent years, compared to 2016.Morris also missed many games through injury and the decision to drop Matthew Boyd, has further added to our woes this year. I wonder whether all the publicity surrounding JJ's contract hasn't played on his mind plus the added pressure and publicity following his Norm Smith Medal win. The tough nature of our attack on the ball last year may well have taken its toll on a team that is not overly physically endowed.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Pretty much nailed it 1ED.

These three were absolutely vital last year and they've had terrible seasons to date in comparison.

Dickson has escaped criticism until this week, but he really has been poor. Might be some silver lining in his past ie. he seems to take a while to get going after returning from injury, but he must be close to playing some VFL footy.

I'd add Picken to this list - had a great last quarter v Sydney, got knocked out v Freo and has largely been a passenger since. Thought he did play better v North which was encouraging, but Picko was our best finals player and his drop in form has hurt.
    Damn it.

NBP above raises interesting questions re. form lines following concussion. I'm starting to think it is the unseen injury.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wood has to stop whacking the opposition players when they hassle JJ. Two weeks in a row he has whacked a player.
    Yeah he needs to temper this a little but he and Cordy are probably the only defenders with any aggressive physical presence and I love it when they fly the flag. No criticism of Suckling and Biggs but they don't have the same effect.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Damn it.

NBP above raises interesting questions re. form lines following concussion. I'm starting to think it is the unseen injury.
    It's definitely a common theme for our players this season isn't it. You could probably put Matty Boyd into this category as well. He copped a pretty big hit in the NAB (can't remember the other name they called it this year) preseason game against the Suns where he had his ear split into two. All of Picken, Libba and M Boyd have struggled to find their best form since all getting big hits.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    In the cases of Libba and Picken, you would have to question the decision to rush them straight back after head knocks. Picken and Tom Boyd have also had indifferent years, compared to 2016.Morris also missed many games through injury and the decision to drop Matthew Boyd, has further added to our woes this year. I wonder whether all the publicity surrounding JJ's contract hasn't played on his mind plus the added pressure and publicity following his Norm Smith Medal win. The tough nature of our attack on the ball last year may well have taken its toll on a team that is not overly physically endowed.
    Can't agree. If anything he's been better than in 2016 particularly his work in the ruck.

It's not like he had a great 2016 aside from the last games