Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

#Freekickoppositionteams

In light of the competitions collective conscious being turned on to this notion that we get an unfair armchair ride with the umpires, does anyone else hear the drums of doom that we are about to cop a terrible run with the umpires as they adjust based on the noise?

We have already been on the end of some very ordinary decisions in close games (see Geelong, WC, GWS). Will all this noise end up costing us and giving our opposition a big advantage in the games in the run home?

I for one would be happy to launch a fundraising page where we can all contribute to pay Al's Highlights a salary to put together a compilation of free kicks we get and the ones we don't get, and those that the opposition do and don't get. Empty vessels can and have made the most sound and now unfortunately the one bad free kick we get is used each week as "proof" that we get unfair treatment. It'd be nice to post a weekly video and pour water on the momentum this fire is gathering.

2. Likes 1eyedog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: #Freekickoppositionteams

I will donate to the cause. I have always been a fair sport when it comes to free kicks I know when we have gotten away with one and call it out against us. I find this absolutely ridiculous all the clubs going to the afl for explanations on the rules. You know the rules you clowns. I am impressed by Bevo being the bigger man and not stooping to this level. The carry on by Longmire and the rules after we beat them made him look like a spoilt brat that didn't get his own way. This will hurt us for sure. I didn't like Goddard very much in the past but coming out and defending the Bulldogs and basically saying what we all know. The AFL got rid off the third man up and somehow changed their perception of what is actually a hanball to slow our progress. Everyone is carrying on about how bad we are playing but fail to take into account how much we have lost from our arsenal with the rule gone. The Bont is quieter without jumping third. It has halted Blicavs career it seems. All our onballers used to benefit from this tactic. Massive loss to our game. This was another reason Bevo didn't stress about a ruckman to much. Now it's gone and we don't have a ruckman in top 15 in the league. I would love to know the date the rule change was announced if anyone knows.

Post Thanks / Like

It's already happened this year. The swans game the main example. But it's been happening all year, particularly early with the whole "throwing" claims. But yes, i see that it will get worse after this week. You watch. Luckily though we are playing an interstate team at home so the effect shouldnt be as bad. But the following week against Adelaide we'll get pantsed by the umps. Especially after the mother of all sook from the crows the last time we played them. Bookmark it.

Post Thanks / Like

DO DOGS GET A DREAM RUN?
    Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy has rejected suggestions his club receives favourable treatment from the umpires.

But he says coach Luke Beveridge has emphasised playing in a way that impacts the free kick count in his time as coach.

The Bulldogs won the count 26-14 against North Melbourne after at one stage leading 15-2. They have received 263 frees this season (second-most behind Brisbane) and given away 216 (third-fewest behind West Coast and Collingwood).

"Where does it say that it has to be 7-7?," Murphy said on SEN.

"When Luke started at the Bulldogs he talked about those things - you play in front, you don't give away free kicks because free kicks kill you, especially in the middle of the ground.

"It's not something we train or talk about mainly but it's part of the team discipline."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    DO DOGS GET A DREAM RUN?
    Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy has rejected suggestions his club receives favourable treatment from the umpires.

But he says coach Luke Beveridge has emphasised playing in a way that impacts the free kick count in his time as coach.

The Bulldogs won the count 26-14 against North Melbourne after at one stage leading 15-2. They have received 263 frees this season (second-most behind Brisbane) and given away 216 (third-fewest behind West Coast and Collingwood).

"Where does it say that it has to be 7-7?," Murphy said on SEN.

"When Luke started at the Bulldogs he talked about those things - you play in front, you don't give away free kicks because free kicks kill you, especially in the middle of the ground.

"It's not something we train or talk about mainly but it's part of the team discipline."
    What a novel approach.

Could perhaps the clubs having a whinge simply be advised of the sense of that.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    What a novel approach.

So other clubs think so lowly of us that whenever we implement something innovative, we must be cheating or getting preferential treatment. Handball club we were throwing. Working on not giving away free kicks means the umps are favouring us.

I never realised how deep our perception of being minnows was in the eyes of other clubs. They're having a hard time accepting change aren't they?

8. Likes aker39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    What a novel approach.

Bevo mentions that exact fact (we always play in front, perhaps other clubs could look at what they are doing instead of us, we are a disciplined team are all answers he's given to the free kick question this season.) every time he's asked about umpiring.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So other clubs think so lowly of us that whenever we implement something innovative, we must be cheating or getting preferential treatment. Handball club we were throwing. Working on not giving away free kicks means the umps are favouring us.

I never realised how deep our perception of being minnows was in the eyes of other clubs. They're having a hard time accepting change aren't they?
    Not even necessarily that. Nothing innovative about playing in front, going for the ball and not doing stupid shit. It's how you're meant to play the game (though some AFL coaches might disagree)

Post Thanks / Like

As bevo says, have an independent reviewer or panel go through the games and mark all the frees that should have been given in each of these games and come out with a definitive list over time. The numbers by themselves are meaningless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Not even necessarily that. Nothing innovative about playing in front, going for the ball and not doing stupid shit. It's how you're meant to play the game (though some AFL coaches might disagree)
    I've seen people try and argue the minor Premiership is the greater achievement and that our lucky run has exposed that fact. Ridiculous the lengths people are prepared to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I've seen people try and argue the minor Premiership is the greater achievement and that our lucky run has exposed that fact. Ridiculous the lengths people are prepared to go.
    Until their club wins a premiership (if they manage to do so)

Post Thanks / Like

The one question I continually ask people when they make the unfounded accusation that we are the AFLs & their umpires pets is...why?

The AFL have tried multple times to kill us off, they make up new rules just to keep us down - why would an organisation that worships the mighty dollar deliberately favour one of the minnows of the competition who are followed by one of the poorest demographics...it makes no sense.

If the AFL were going to instruct the umpires to favour anyone, it would be a super rich team with wealthy followers - they have more disposable income to give to the AFL.

If it was some wierd attempt to copy the fairytale that occurred in the EPL with Leicester City winning the league, that may pass the sniff test last year - but that is done and dusted now - it's 2017 - the thinking at AFL HQ would be time to put the Dogs back in the pound, where they belong.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

I like it. 'They' have been pushing hard to get the attention of the AFEL umpires. But it will only take another little nudge and then 'they' will alienate the umpires to the point of no return. 'They' have intimated that the umpires aren't being fair, but it's becoming a slanderous smear that the umpires are cheating or collouding. This will end up being a positive. I used to umpire once upon a time as well as my former career, I will tell you this... when you make it 'us against them' (where we are not in the 'them' group), (a) you're determined to be impartial and not swayed, and (b) there's nothing personally sweeter than being in a position to make a straight up strong point to people calling into to question your honesty or integrity.

These media leaking sooks have succeeded in ruffling feathers and maybe generating second guessing. But I hope it continues, louder, longer, more aggressive, more ruder and more disgusting than it already is. When it tips over the edge, Luke Beveridge will be there again standing up for umpires just like always does, and like he did with Troy Panell last year. When he was the only voice in entire footy industry saying he actually made all the right calls, it was just he had runs of play. Bevo's not doing it to cheat, he's being honest and using his profile to fight against claims of corruption in our umpire ranks. More should use their profile for this too, but let them attack umpires to AFEL House and then leak it to journos. Says a lot about them and that they're not 100% focussed on their affairs.

You catch more frees with honey, than vinegar.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Thanks SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    As bevo says, have an independent reviewer or panel go through the games and mark all the frees that should have been given in each of these games and come out with a definitive list over time. The numbers by themselves are meaningless.
    I like this a lot. I'd also like them to have a free kick category called: "Free kick that was inconsequential because recipients had already taken the mark or played on." We would lead the league in these. Quite often it is a tactic to slow teams like us down (when you know they are off so you commit the professional foul hoping to slow them down). I think we were up to about 4 or 5 of these in the opening 10 minutes of the GF.
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 29-06-2017 at 12:13 AM.

18. Likes N/A, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While we're on the topic, out-of-bounds on the full really needs to be separated from free kick counts. Because it's misleading when people start complaining about free kick counts. What if on saturday north kicked the ball on the full 7 times?

20. Likes N/A, boydogs, The Adelaide Connection liked this post