Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Things I've learned round 15 vs the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I might be missing something here but didn't we draft Young as a key defender?

And did Adams ever actually "request a trade"?
    Young was a key forward and has played mainly there at Footscray since he arrived with a few stints in the backline.
    Adams who was under contract, said he would like a trade back home but he would also fulfill his contract. He has of course extended his contract with us this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Perhaps we were interested in playing Hurley forward. Or playing him back giving us the opportunity to play Adams more forward.
    You never know, we are very inventive. Perhaps he didn't want to play forward or on a wing with us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Hurley got out marked by Rohan a few weeks ago in the dying stage of swans vs dons on the goal line .Real question marks over his passion. Maybe it was a good thing we missed out on him? Salary cap free and all allows us to make a FA play this year
    It was Gleeson who was out-marked on the goal line.. Hurley was Essendon's best player that night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Realistically though, what other experienced useful options were available?
    We were right into Schade a couple of years ago, I don't think we even bother asking the question last year though? Now at Collingwood, looked good early in the year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Hurley got out marked by Rohan a few weeks ago in the dying stage of swans vs dons on the goal line .Real question marks over his passion. Maybe it was a good thing we missed out on him? Salary cap free and all allows us to make a FA play this year
    I would have loved Hurley in the backline, he is a gun. You maybe right about the passion as he only decided to stay at Essendon due to the money.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    1. We are not currently good enough to execute the defensive game plan. It relies on absolute commitment to not having any weak links in the chain - and we too often have gaping holes in it.

2. We're too stubborn to tag - so we just let key midfielders kill us week in week out.

3. With an average of 7.5 marks and over 2 goals per game - Redpath is our best avenue to goal at the moment.

Spot on with the first two points. Its like we have the worst of two worlds at the moment.. We don't have the passion and buy in for the team defence and refuse to fall back on obvious answers like tagging opposition guns.

Yeah, as soon as it turned into an auction and it became apparent that his motivation was pretty much money above everything else I was happy to see him stay there.

Hes a gun and I would have loved to see him in the tricouleur but not at any cost. I'm glad we can go into this trade period with more options than we would have had if Hurley was on the list soaking up 1m+ a year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

We're ranked 7th lowest for points conceded, our defense is not the problem
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    We're ranked 7th lowest for points conceded, our defense is not the problem
    It is when your game plan relies on defence being both a springboard for attack and the last line against scoring. Why do you think we have so many opposition players (particularly on long grounds) taking marks around our half forward area? Of course, it's because we've crowded our defencive area to stop scoring.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It is when your game plan relies on defence being both a springboard for attack and the last line against scoring. Why do you think we have so many opposition players (particularly on long grounds) taking marks around our half forward area? Of course, it's because we've crowded our defencive area to stop scoring.
    That's probably more to do with a lack of good marking options, and kicking long to an outnumbered contest instead of kicking short or handballing. But perhaps I should have said defending is not the problem, not defense is not the problem
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff