Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Things I've learned round 15 vs the Eagles

It's over. Unless there is a stunning turnaround and upset win against Adelaide 2017 is done and dusted. The writing was on the wall a few weeks ago.

For 2018 to be a success we need to be active this trade/FA period. Very active. We need a big fish or two. Preferably some players with skill and decent foot skills. J. Kelly please. True grit and determination won us a flag last year but without that we're pretty average

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We are not currently good enough to execute the defensive game plan. It relies on absolute commitment to not having any weak links in the chain - and we too often have gaping holes in it.

2. We're too stubborn to tag - so we just let key midfielders kill us week in week out.

3. With an average of 7.5 marks and over 2 goals per game - Redpath is our best avenue to goal at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Changing the line coaches hasn't worked, not one line has improved its performance.

2. Zaine Cordy will be a player.

3. Mitch Wallis should be the next captain of our football club, i'm in awe of his application to a)get back to playing and b)perform at the level he is.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

1. We need to go back to basics to rebuild our team and let it settle. Two key backmen Roberts`& Cordy..maybe Collins and Cordy third back.

2. Two key forwards Red and T. Boyd with Boydy rucking 20% of the game and Red not rucking at all.

3. One ruckman rucking 80% of the game and a tagger...maybe Picken. Keep it simple instead of being too clever by playing a side continually too small.

6. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    1. Changing the line coaches hasn't worked, not one line has improved its performance.
    This really needs to be questioned in greater detail.

I wasn't a fan of it at the time and it's proven to be a ridiculous change.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The coaching staff ignored Andrew Gaff, he is number 3 guys, he had a lazy 42 touches, most uncontested.
    The season is all but over and there is an attitudinal malaise at our club at the moment, it seemed to begin when JJ's contract issues arose.
    We need to recruit two tall key defenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    The coaching staff ignored Andrew Gaff, he is number 3 guys, he had a lazy 42 touches, most uncontested.
    The season is all but over and there is an attitudinal malaise at our club at the moment, it seemed to begin when JJ's contract issues arose.
    To add to the 4 running around for Footscray + the one who is injured?

hlnbidoffer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why did we resign Roberts for two years if we are going to play him in the VFL?

Just play him.. God we miss Hamling, he was such a beast for us late last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. With Zaine coming on this isn't the primary need at the moment. Zaine has effectively replaced Hamling. Adams and Zaine are first choice with Roberts and Collins in the wings. We actually really miss Adams. Morris out of form does not help.

We desperately need a decent outsider who uses the ball well. The kitchen sink at Kelly for me.

1. So many players are playing out of position it's like the chess pieces have all fallen over and we are trying to remember where they all went.

2. Our high defence is a liability. We cannot pressurize the opposition well enough in F50 for this strategy to be effective. We need to change our approach.

3. I'm an optimist, we are Hawthorn 2009.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roberts would need to improve rapidly imo, Adams is a good forward prospect and Collins is unproven atm. We should have gone after the likes of McStay before he resigned.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Exactly. With Zaine coming on this isn't the primary need at the moment. Zaine has effectively replaced Hamling. Adams and Zaine are first choice with Roberts and Collins in the wings. We actually really miss Adams. Morris out of form does not help.

We desperately need a decent outsider who uses the ball well. The kitchen sink at Kelly for me.

1. So many players are playing out of position it's like the chess pieces have all fallen over and we are trying to remember where they all went.

2. Our high defence is a liability. We cannot pressurize the opposition well enough in F50 for this strategy to be effective. We need to change our approach.

3. I'm an optimist, we are Hawthorn 2009.
    I couldn't agree more on Kelly - but doubt we'd have the capacity ($$$'s) to get him.

hlnbidoffer Guest

Things I learned:

1. We stink
    2. We really stink
    3. The lack of effort from the playing group is truly astounding. How did the level of skill execution become so poor. What do they actually do at training? So fed up with these half hearted efforts week after week. The forward line is a complete rabble but they aren't helped by the shocking delivery inside 50. Amazing, how we get smashed at clearances as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hlnbidoffer View Post
    Things I learned:

1. We stink
    2. We really stink
    3. The lack of effort from the playing group is truly astounding. How did the level of skill execution become so poor. What do they actually do at training? So fed up with these half hearted efforts week after week. The forward line is a complete rabble but they aren't helped by the shocking delivery inside 50. Amazing, how we get smashed at clearances as well.
    Do you really think it's a lack of effort? Sure there a couple who's effort levels fluctuate, but generally we are having a dip.. its just that our skill execution is horrible and we are lacking personnel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I see Zaine as the replacement for Morris, ie a third defender.

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Agree because

may not be good enough.

I can see what Macca was trying to do, ie have a 200cm bloke at full back, but Roughy is just not a defender. We need some tall defenders that can take on Buddy, Tom Lynch, Jonathan Patton types. These young kids of today are getting taller and taller and it dosn't cut is to he 193cm defenders like Adams, Cordy on these big full forwards.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

may not be good enough.

I can see what Macca was trying to do, ie have a 200cm bloke at full back, but Roughy is just not a defender. We need some tall defenders that can take on Buddy, Tom Lynch, Jonathan Patton types. These young kids of today are getting taller and taller and it dosn't cut is to he 193cm defenders like Adams, Cordy on these big full forwards.
    Roberts is 196cm, just re-signed for 2 more years.. The men in charge clearly see hm as being good enough.

We also have Collins (194), Young (197) and NMM (196) who are all developing their craft at Footscray.

No doubt a gun key defender would be extremely handy, which is why it was reported we were right into Hurley, but we have a number already contracted so unless we get rid of a few of these we need to continue to develeop them.

20. Likes Dry Rot liked this post