Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  85
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd to take leave of absence

Great to hear and some more positive news on top of JJ re-signing yesterday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Training today

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for photo BAD. Great to see the big fella back. Go Tom!!

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This Tom Boyd depression episode has been a real eye opener for me. I grew up with it being drummed into me that people need to be "tough" etc. As a result, I've always (and I'm not proud to say this - just being honest) kind of lost a bit of respect for those who declare that they have depression. I hear my dad's voice ringing in my ears - "lacks resilience. No good in the trenches." Etc.

As time goes on, I guess we're all changing and becoming more empathetic towards our friends, colleagues, associates and community at large. So the Tom Boyd thing has, maybe for the first time, made me feel a genuinely unfamiliar pang of "I actually respect him more, now."

From afar, Boyd always struck me as slightly aloof, self assured, emotionless, even arrogant. If I'm honest, I'd say my (admittedly shallow and presumptuous) impression was that he was the typical, two-dimensional, high school movie brooding frat boy, jock who's had it easy, is obviously rich, gets all the attention etc. etc. Even when he blitzed the GF, his post match interviews seemed to lack emotion and he seemed strangely "too cool for school." Typical brooding star!

We always warm to the "battler done good" who makes it against the odds. The Libba (Snr) or Picko types. Their vulnerability is visible and endearing. Guys like Boyd are gifted with everything, "born on third base" and have always been dealt an inside rail. Or so we think. How wrong we were!

When someone like Tom comes out and says "I'm depressed" you feel an instantaneous "Oh, that's what it is! That makes complete sense, actually. In fact it just about explains everything! Holy crap, he's not a bulletproof, emotionless, expressionless superstar who probably thinks he's a cut above everyone else. In fact, he's a vulnerable every-man just like us! Seems his apparent aloofness was probably just shyness. He's obviously (now) just a slightly insecure young bloke who's got his hand up to let everyone know that he's just that.

Now rather than thinking he's bulletproof, I actually now feel that I'd take a bullet for the kid. Suddenly I get it. This whole thing makes sense. If people like me suddenly get it, I think a lot of people must. Therefore I think things will turn for the guy from
    This point. Suddenly I understand what this "put your hand up and things will change" actually means.

I almost feel the relief for the kid, because I know how much pressure I've personally taken off him - just from my little seat in the crowd.

Jeff Kennett's banged away on this for years and years. Credit to him for persistence. People like me take a while to get some of this stuff. Point I'm making is that I always listened to the dialogue on this subject, but I never really ever truly felt it. I think this Tom Boyd situation has really helped me to feel it and get where they're all coming from.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Webby. Think many of us have had some similar thoughts. All Dogs supporters will be cheering for Tom when he returns to play in vfl/afl. Hopefully this season.

Post Thanks / Like

It amazes me how many people mistake shyness for arrogance. It's usually the exact opposite - a lack of confidence to put yourself out there
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

8. Likes AndrewP6, bulldogsthru&thru, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post Webby. Appreciate the honesty. Let's all get behind the young fella.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    How good is that, all the best Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    It's great.

May the ill informed AFL media journos out there show some grace, and learn what the cause, and particularly in this case, effects of depression are before drawing more blood with their pens.
    Very good news and a great step forward for Tom and the club.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Training today

Have to stare at that jumper for a while before I could convince myself ir was blue.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    This Tom Boyd depression episode has been a real eye opener for me. I grew up with it being drummed into me that people need to be "tough" etc. As a result, I've always (and I'm not proud to say this - just being honest) kind of lost a bit of respect for those who declare that they have depression. I hear my dad's voice ringing in my ears - "lacks resilience. No good in the trenches." Etc.

As time goes on, I guess we're all changing and becoming more empathetic towards our friends, colleagues, associates and community at large. So the Tom Boyd thing has, maybe for the first time, made me feel a genuinely unfamiliar pang of "I actually respect him more, now."

From afar, Boyd always struck me as slightly aloof, self assured, emotionless, even arrogant. If I'm honest, I'd say my (admittedly shallow and presumptuous) impression was that he was the typical, two-dimensional, high school movie brooding frat boy, jock who's had it easy, is obviously rich, gets all the attention etc. etc. Even when he blitzed the GF, his post match interviews seemed to lack emotion and he seemed strangely "too cool for school." Typical brooding star!

We always warm to the "battler done good" who makes it against the odds. The Libba (Snr) or Picko types. Their vulnerability is visible and endearing. Guys like Boyd are gifted with everything, "born on third base" and have always been dealt an inside rail. Or so we think. How wrong we were!

When someone like Tom comes out and says "I'm depressed" you feel an instantaneous "Oh, that's what it is! That makes complete sense, actually. In fact it just about explains everything! Holy crap, he's not a bulletproof, emotionless, expressionless superstar who probably thinks he's a cut above everyone else. In fact, he's a vulnerable every-man just like us! Seems his apparent aloofness was probably just shyness. He's obviously (now) just a slightly insecure young bloke who's got his hand up to let everyone know that he's just that.

Now rather than thinking he's bulletproof, I actually now feel that I'd take a bullet for the kid. Suddenly I get it. This whole thing makes sense. If people like me suddenly get it, I think a lot of people must. Therefore I think things will turn for the guy from
    This point. Suddenly I understand what this "put your hand up and things will change" actually means.

I almost feel the relief for the kid, because I know how much pressure I've personally taken off him - just from my little seat in the crowd.

Jeff Kennett's banged away on this for years and years. Credit to him for persistence. People like me take a while to get some of this stuff. Point I'm making is that I always listened to the dialogue on this subject, but I never really ever truly felt it. I think this Tom Boyd situation has really helped me to feel it and get where they're all coming from.
    A very humble and forthright comments Webby. Has probably suffered from coming from a non- Aussie Rules background with his father from South Africa and mother with a Danish background. It is fair to say that without his Herculean efforts in the pre-lim and GF we may not have celebrated our famous second flag. Was an outstanding junior footballer and a standout as No. 1 recruit. Given his height and age there is obviously still a lot of improvement to come. I sense his demeanour comes from a degree of shyness given the enormous publicity that has surrounded his still brief League career.

Les Abbott Cheer Squad Guest

It was sad to hear that he needed to take this leave of absence.

All these players seem super human and it makes it hard to believe that they suffer from the same ailments that effect the rest of us. Incredibly brave of Tom to seek the assistance he needs and I wish him all the very best in the difficult fight he finds himself in.

13. Likes GVGjr, Topdog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Bevo, Tom will line up in the VFL next weekend. Let's hope he finds form quickly.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes bulldogtragic, The Doctor, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Bevo, Tom will line up in the VFL next weekend. Let's hope he finds form quickly.
    I hope so but I doubt we will see him in the one's again this year.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Just hope he enjoys playing footy again. I think if he just has fun and enjoys playing football then his performances will take care of themselves and he will play good footy.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Eastdog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Further to Ratsmac and BAD above, I seem to recollect Bevo also saying or inferring that with Tom's time out he'd need more to get back to sufficient fitness. I too would be surprised to see his return this year; hopefully I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insufficient Intent View Post
    Further to Ratsmac and BAD above, I seem to recollect Bevo also saying or inferring that with Tom's time out he'd need more to get back to sufficient fitness. I too would be surprised to see his return this year; hopefully I'm wrong.
    Yes he did say that. No chance he'll play ones this year, IMO.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]