Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you've learned-round 16 v Adelaide.

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Also this isn't the Bankers and Anchors thread.

Or the Marmo/James medal thread.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for getting it wrong , doing this from my iphone so get disoriented at times on which thread is which . Doggies losing like that really must have made me upset to lose orientation

Pardon my ignorance what is Marmo/ james medal thread ? If there is a wiki or something funny on YouTube would be great to referemce

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Sorry for getting it wrong , doing this from my iphone so get disoriented at times on which thread is which . Doggies losing like that really must have made me upset to lose orientation

Pardon my ignorance what is Marmo/ james medal thread ? If there is a wiki or something funny on YouTube would be great to referemce
    The WOOF Player awards aka the Joe Marmo Award and the Ron James award

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    1. Can't see us winning another game this year.

2. The standard of AFL football this year is at an all time low, and it is boring to watch. I tried to watch the GWS v Geelong "match of the round" last week, and was laughing at how pathetic the skills of many players are these days.

3. As bad as the standard of the game is, it is miles ahead of the standard of umpiring. Embarrassing.
    Wow. Apart from any of our games this year..even our wins I've been impressed by the footy played. Maybe more influenced by the even state of the comp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Wow. Apart from any of our games this year..even our wins I've been impressed by the footy played. Maybe more influenced by the even state of the comp.
    I think there are too many players around the ball. Its usually only late in a game where it opens up a bit.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think there are too many players around the ball. Its usually only late in a game where it opens up a bit.
    Yep, almost al 36 players spread around the ball in a huge pack gets a little boring.

I hope to god they don't bring zones in though.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL seem set on 4 on the bench so I'm not adverse to drawing a line across CHF and CHB and making it mandatory to have at least 4 players there the whole game.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL seem set on 4 on the bench so I'm not adverse to drawing a line across CHF and CHB and making it mandatory to have at least 4 players there the whole game.

I'd rather poke myself to death with a knitting needle. To see a player get a fee kick against him because he's gone in a forbidden part of the ground would destroy footy for me.

I know the problem is congestion and that's the simplest solution but I don't like simple solutions. They tend to cause even more complicated problems for whatever it is you were trying to fix in the first place.

10. Likes hujsh, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing wrong with footy this year is we are playing shithouse.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

12. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't need to be so drastic to fix up the congestion mess. Only need to do two things:

1. Get rid of prior opportunity. If you're in possession and are tackled legitimately, get rid of it or you're gone. Black and white, no grey area.
    2. Max 10 interchange rotations a quarter and only after a stop play situation.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Doesn't need to be so drastic to fix up the congestion mess. Only need to do two things:

1. Get rid of prior opportunity. If you're in possession and are tackled legitimately, get rid of it or you're gone. Black and white, no grey area.
    Not a fan. Reckon we will se an increase in blokes letting their opponent win the ball first so they can lay a tackle. Why be first to the ball?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

16. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Not a fan. Reckon we will se an increase in blokes letting their opponent win the ball first so they can lay a tackle. Why be first to the ball?
    Exactly. Why try to win the ball and probably get pinged when you can sit back and get clear possession with a gang tackle?

Post Thanks / Like

Prior opportunity is a myth that never existed until 20 years ago. It is the main reason we have players now hatching it in a tackle, which quickly turns 1-2 players into 20 players and endless rolling mauls.

Player smarts have gone out the window - in the past if you were about to take possession and knew you were about to get tackled, you would tap on and not take possession. Now because there is no fear of being penalised players simply take possession and go to sleep. I hate it.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes 1eyedog, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Prior opportunity is a myth that never existed until 20 years ago. It is the main reason we have players now hatching it in a tackle, which quickly turns 1-2 players into 20 players and endless rolling mauls.

Player smarts have gone out the window - in the past if you were about to take possession and knew you were about to get tackled, you would tap on and not take possession. Now because there is no fear of being penalised players simply take possession and go to sleep. I hate it.
    Good assessment. Especially about prior opportunity being a myth, I never heard if it before the mid '90s.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep another rule, that changed the game for the worse.

I have said it many times change a rule or interpretation and the consequences are always dramatic. (not talking about rules that protect players from injury)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.