Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So.

Post Thanks / Like

So.

My son's birthday is coming up and a while ago he said he wanted to go to the Adelaide game for his present. Come Tuesday we still hadn't actually organised anything like tickets or transport or anything so I aid to him "mate I'm sorry but I can't see how we are going to the footy in Friday night. We haven't got tickets to get into the ground for one thing" but he said he didn't care he still wanted to go to Adelaide. Even if we just stood outside the ground watching on the big screen he just wanted to go. So we booked tickets to Adelaide on the overnight bus on Wednesday night.

We rock up to the ground (it's a great venue, easily the best in the AFL) have a couple of laps around the ground and then head over to Hungry Jacks before we went to find a pub close to the ground to watch. While we were sitting in HJ's ( in our bulldog gear) an Adelaide supporter comes over and asks if we were right for tickets. We said we weren't so he handed us two crows memberships and took us into the ground with him.

I may have said some harsh things about Adelaide in the past but i have totally changed my opinion. And Adelaide Oval is almost perfect for watching the game. Even standing on the hill behind the goals you can see what's happening in the goal square at the other end of the ground. That's amazing because I've never been to a ground where you can do that.

Anyway, Adelaide us a great place. Friendly locals and a terrific footy ground.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So.

Great to hear you had a good experience. Completely at odds with every experience I've had there, but anyhoo....
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Great to hear you had a good experience. Completely at odds with every experience I've had there, but anyhoo....

Me too Andrew. Footy Park was an awful, awful place to watch football at. But this trip has been so positive (except for the result) that I wanted to mention it.

4. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry the team put in a worrying effort, glad you had an opportunity to have a great time with your son Carl.

Best story to come out of the night so far.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Me too Andrew. Footy Park was an awful, awful place to watch football at. But this trip has been so positive (except for the result) that I wanted to mention it.
    Maybe its a football park thing, and Adelaide Oval has an air of dignity to it.

Or maybe Adelaide supporters have grown up.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday to mini-Twodogs (does that make him Onedogs??)
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Commitment is super impressive off the back of the abysmal West Coast performance. I still have the sads from that week's showing.
    I tip my hat to both of you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Definitely the former.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Adelaide really does get a harsh wrap. I worked at AAMI for several years and am a regular at AO and there is nothing I have seen from the crowd (in terms of type or frequency) that you don't see from every other ground in Australia. Glad you had a great experience (aside the result).

Just as aside, if you ever find yourself on a bus to Adelaide without tickets to a sold out game hit me up. Perhaps we need a weekly who has spare/needs extra tickets thread akin the GF one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Definitely the former.
    Footy Park just wasn't a good place to watch footy. It reminded me a lit of Waverly Park with the concrete and seating bays and atmosphere whereas AO is a great venue-they have certainly learned from the mistakes that Etihad made and have given it a more homely feel with the hill. Definitely a case of boiled lollies to chocolates.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Happy Birthday to mini-Twodogs (does that make him Onedogs??)
    He's busily trying to earn the nickname if that helps. He seems pretty committed to that goal at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Commitment is super impressive off the back of the abysmal West Coast performance. I still have the sads from that week's showing.
    I tip my hat to both of you.
    You just never know. We might have seen something special from the boys and if we'd missed I wouldn't have been popular.

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Adelaide really does get a harsh wrap. I worked at AAMI for several years and am a regular at AO and there is nothing I have seen from the crowd (in terms of type or frequency) that you don't see from every other ground in Australia. Glad you had a great experience (aside the result).

Just as aside, if you ever find yourself on a bus to Adelaide without tickets to a sold out game hit me up. Perhaps we need a weekly who has spare/needs extra tickets thread akin the GF one.

Cheers mate.

How's this? We bought a serve of chips at a seafood place called Pauls seafood (I think) and sit out the front to eat them and just as we are finishing the chef comes out with another serve and pours it in the container! " enjoy boys" he says.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the Footy TD, sounds like you had a good trip with your son.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Other than the Footy TD, sounds like you had a good trip with your son.
    Great time. We were supposed to go back yesterday but we've booked the departure date back twice already. ATM we are booked in for the Monday night trip back but who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Adelaide I have a few relations there and the beaches are so clean, its a bit of a time warp of about 10 years but very friendly and scenic place.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Travelled with the whole family to see us play The Power last year. No issues with their supporters and reckon it's the best ground to watch football in the AFL.

Went to the Cairns match the previous year and we're travelling to Brisbane in August this year hoping to keep our winning record intact.......although I'm not confident the way this year is turning out.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I like Adelaide I have a few relations there and the beaches are so clean, its a bit of a time warp of about 10 years but very friendly and scenic place.

It's a lot like Melbourne used to be before we managed to *!*!*!*! the place up knocking down or building on top of all the heritage buildings and making it look like a monstrosity.