Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From the Past - Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    8.9.57 to 1.10.16

Looking it up there was 16,000 odd at Western Oval that day on a Sunday afternoon.
    It was pouring rain, so not many there - I was there
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The old school style. Love it! So was there reserved seating in the Whitten Stand. A few weeks back at the VFL was great sitting up there and I was thinking it was a cold Saturday afternoon that's what it was like back then.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

One of the few games of the 70s/80s/90s era that I missed. I don't know where I was but I must have been in a ad state if I missed the footy especially a game at Whitten oval.

The old school style. Love it! So was there reserved seating in the Whitten Stand. A few weeks back at the VFL was great sitting up there and I was thinking it was a cold Saturday afternoon that's what it was like back then.
    There were two grandstands and a seating area that wasn't very big in front of one of them. It really was mostly standing room at Whitten oval. And the Can Bar.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    One of the few games of the 70s/80s/90s era that I missed. I don't know where I was but I must have been in a ad state if I missed the footy especially a game at Whitten oval.

There were two grandstands and a seating area that wasn't very big in front of one of them. It really was mostly standing room at Whitten oval. And the Can Bar.
    The John Gent Stand the other one I believe. Yeah the old suburban grounds a lot I think did mainly just have standing room.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The John Gent Stand the other one I believe. Yeah the old suburban grounds a lot I think did mainly just have standing room.
    There was the John Gent stand p, the EJ Whitten stand on one side of the ground and on the other side was the rather grandiosely named EJ Smith stand given that it wasn't a grandstand and you couldn't sit in it. Well you could of you wanted to but you wouldn't have seen much of the game.

8. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have had some good memories playing Carlton as well as some shockers.

Anyone remember this game. It ended up in a draw and got us in the top 5 for a finals birth.

What are some favourite clashes with Carlton.
    I was there. My first ever VFL game.What an exciting match it was with Quinlan on fire, Templeton, Dempsey, Stoneham et al
    That was a bloody good team in the making.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I was there. My first ever VFL game.What an exciting match it was with Quinlan on fire, Templeton, Dempsey, Stoneham et al
    That was a bloody good team in the making.
    It's a shame we never gave it the chance to get fully made, there was quality coming onto our list at a rate of knots but we couldn't get rid of it fast enough. All those future Brownlow medalists, all those past Brownlow medalists, all those future champions and B&Fs and grand finalists and premiership players big Vee wearers who all went to other clubs. What a crying shame.

Post Thanks / Like

In 1992 we did the Blues at the G, then went to Princess Park and they did us by 83 pts and there was a massive blue as well.

For Christmas that year I got the Diamond Dogs video, and my Bro got the Gathering Storm video. Because he was older I had to watch the latter way too many times!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We have had some good memories playing Carlton as well as some shockers.

Anyone remember this game. It ended up in a draw and got us in the top 5 for a finals birth.

What are some favourite clashes with Carlton.
    1976?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

8.9.57 to 1.10.16

Looking it up there was 16,000 odd at Western Oval that day on a Sunday afternoon.
    I don't there was that many. I think a lot of crowd numbers were just guessed.
    Poring rain, cold and a dreadful game I remember being looking to leave the game at 3 quarter time but I just had to stay to see if we could keep them goaless. For Arceri to be given a soft free kick given the conditions and then kick the heavy ball for a good goal all things considered it confirmed to me at the time that many wishes were not being answered.

The best part of it was the jam doughnut on the way to the car
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes Twodogs, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone remember the game against Carlton at Princess Park where Scott Wynd got injured early and Barry Standfield had to ruck for the balance of the game? Standfield was BOG and put in a very determined effort getting us home for a win.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does anyone remember the game against Carlton at Princess Park where Scott Wynd got injured early and Barry Standfield had to ruck for the balance of the game? Standfield was BOG and put in a very determined effort getting us home for a win.
    Sure do. Got there a bit late, missed the bounce and Scot Wynd is laying in the centre circle twitching from the contact. I will never forget it. I thought Scott was dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's a shame we never gave it the chance to get fully made, there was quality coming onto our list at a rate of knots but we couldn't get rid of it fast enough. All those future Brownlow medalists, all those past Brownlow medalists, all those future champions and B&Fs and grand finalists and premiership players big Vee wearers who all went to other clubs. What a crying shame.
    I reckon our line up for the 1976 final round game against Carlton would have looked something like this

B: Wheeler, Sandilands, Hampshire
    HB: Salmon, Welsh, Power
    C: Jennings, Stoneham, Abbey
    HF: Newland, Quinlan, Dunstan
    F: Morrison, Templeton, Low
    R: Dempsey, Featherby, Huppatz
    19th: Kelly
    20th: Blair

I'm quite hazy on a few of the positions. I distinctly remember Bluey Hampshire playing BP on the resting ruckman and continually and illegally impeding Mike Fitzpatrick when he was making a lead. Quinlan went berserk in the first half. Might have kicked 5 to half time from CHF. Templeton vs Southby, the young Kelvin kicked 3. He got 82 I think for the year. Featherby and Dunstan kicked 3 each.

We got out to a 33 point lead from memory deep into the 3rd. We had to draw to make the finals. Carlton were on top of the ladder. We got the draw in a crazy finish with the Blues peppering the goals late in the final 1/4 including 1 or 2 posters.

Missing that day were; Ted Whitten Jnr, Dennis Collins, Richard Murrie, Jeff Gieshen and Ross Gallagher, John Reid, Alby Smedts

I loved that side and hated our admin for clearing most of them. That team had the potential to get us back to the top. Quinlan & Templeton in the key forward positions and still young & Dempsey in the ruck FFS
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Likes jeemak, Eastdog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Bob's first game at Princes Park? We were rank underdogs with a host of injuries, and it was the upset of the season..until we played the undefeated Bombres the following week...mmm...how did that end up again??

Maybe you have to be a certain age to appreciate just how good it used to be to defeat Carlton. With their blue blood supporters and arrogance, always buying themselves premierships and a host of presidents who could have ended up in jail...I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

21. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres the team with some bonus match stats from AFL tables.

Footscray Match Statistics [Season][Game by Game]
    # Player KI MK HB DI GL BH HO TK RB IF CL CG FF FA BR CP UP CM MI 1% BO GA %P
    30 Abbey, Ross 10 4 3 13 2 1
    16 Blair, Dennis 1 1 1
    24 Dempsey, Gary 12 6 5 17 8 4 1
    32 Dunstan, Ian 19 9 8 27 3 2 2
    5 Featherby, Peter 22 5 6 28 3 2 3 1
    1 Hampshire, Ian 8 7 4 12 8 3 3
    7 Huppatz, Ray 22 7 1 23 1 3
    25 Jennings, Geoff 12 2 12 24 3
    11 Kelly, Mick 1 1
    28 Low, Ian 13 4 3 16 1 1 4
    8 Morrison, Ian 7 3 7 1 4 2 1
    6 Newland, Ken 5 2 4 9 1 1
    21 Power, Stephen 9 1 1 10 2
    2 Quinlan, Bernie 10 5 2 12 3 2 1 2 2
    18 Salmon, Ian 8 4 2 10 1 2 3
    9 Sandilands, Laurie 15 5 15 2
    3 Stoneham, Alan 19 3 12 31 1 1
    31 Templeton, Kelvin 5 2 5 3 1 1 1
    4 Welsh, Peter 10 6 6 16 2 1
    35 Wheeler, Terry 6 3 3 9 2 4
    Rushed 2
    You're correct it was a mighty team. It's like the three teams that came in finally caught a few breaks in the early to mid 70s with an influx of quality players coming to each club. North won a couple of flags and made 5 consecutive Grand Finals.

Hawthorn parlayed there bit of luck from a a few premierships into an empire into a Monolithic machine.

We pissed our chance against the wall. We made 2 Elimanation Finals. Wowee.