Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From the Past - Carlton

It would of been great to have been around to watch guys like Doug Hawkins in their prime, KT kicking bags of goals, watching Beaser in the 80s but it's great to hear from woofers reminiscing about it all good and bad times.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    What about Bob's first game at Princes Park? We were rank underdogs with a host of injuries, and it was the upset of the season..until we played the undefeated Bombres the following week...mmm...how did that end up again??

Maybe you have to be a certain age to appreciate just how good it used to be to defeat Carlton. With their blue blood supporters and arrogance, always buying themselves premierships and a host of presidents who could have ended up in jail...I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!
    My favourite Home and Away game of all time. It felt even better than breaking Essendon's a fortnight later because we rained on the parade that was supposed to take place the week after between the unbeaten Essendon and Carlton who hadn't lost for fourteen weeks (just as soon as they'd knocked us over).
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Carlton goal to Arceri was a charity free . Great seeing that old crim Elliott in the Whitten stand watching caaaarlton get creamed
    Absolute charity. I was standing at the Geelong Rd end so had a very clear view. Freezing cold day, lots of icy rain and a driving wind from down south off the Ross Ice Shelf. I miss those days. You really felt alive in those conditions. It was sort of affirming to be experincing similar conditions to the players.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

What about Bob's first game at Princes Park? We were rank underdogs with a host of injuries, and it was the upset of the season..until we played the undefeated Bombres the following week...mmm...how did that end up again??

Maybe you have to be a certain age to appreciate just how good it used to be to defeat Carlton. With their blue blood supporters and arrogance, always buying themselves premierships and a host of presidents who could have ended up in jail...I'm getting fired up just thinking about it!
    Wallet used the super flood that day to win that one. It was a great day. I walked into work where most of the senior managers were Carlton supporters, and they were all still seething over the loss. They said we were cheats for flooding so much.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wallet used the super flood that day to win that one. It was a great day. I walked into work where most of the senior managers were Carlton supporters, and they were all still seething over the loss. They said we were cheats for flooding so much.
    Even better!!!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I have a photo of Bubba Smith and Trent Barlett walking off the ground after that game. Bubba is kissing the bulldog on his jumper and the Carlton supporters are going off tap at them. I love that picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Going strictly from memory here - but one of my favourites was, I think, Round 5, 1990, ANZAC Day at Princes Park. We were emerging as a decent team, after a disastrous 1989 and the near-merger. We had some hot young talent already debuted that year - including Leon Cameron and Chris Grant. I can't remember if Cameron played that day, but I can certainly recall Granty. I have vivid memories of the ball being bombed into our forward line, and the great man turning two Carlton defenders inside out before casually slotting a major. One of them was David Rhys-Jones, I think. I went ballistic and we all thought, "Yep, we've found ourselves a player here."
    Crumbs!

8. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post
    Going strictly from memory here - but one of my favourites was, I think, Round 5, 1990, ANZAC Day at Princes Park. We were emerging as a decent team, after a disastrous 1989 and the near-merger. We had some hot young talent already debuted that year - including Leon Cameron and Chris Grant. I can't remember if Cameron played that day, but I can certainly recall Granty. I have vivid memories of the ball being bombed into our forward line, and the great man turning two Carlton defenders inside out before casually slotting a major. One of them was David Rhys-Jones, I think. I went ballistic and we all thought, "Yep, we've found ourselves a player here."
    I remember that day very well, great day watching Grant.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I can recall a game at PP where a young Chris Grant was being roughed up by David Rhys-Jones. Glenn 'Galaxy' Coleman wasn't going to let that happen and kept coming closer to goal to make sure Rhys-Jones got shoved and bumped into.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    On a very cold and miserable day at the Western Oval, Carlton failed completely to adapt to the slippery conditions. With one minute to go, the Blues were on 0-10 (10) and a last-minute goal from a free kick, averted only the second goalless VFL/AFL score in seventy years.

That is my favourite CARTON game BAD. Freezing cold but it was worth it. Standing on the Douggie Hawkins wing. I still reckon that wasn't a free at the end against Super even though it was on the other side of the ground. God I still remember how cold those beers felt in my hand even today.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I can recall a game at PP where a young Chris Grant was being roughed up by David Rhys-Jones. Glenn 'Galaxy' Coleman wasn't going to let that happen and kept coming closer to goal to make sure Rhys-Jones got shoved and bumped into.
    I've heard a story along the lines that Rhys Jones attacked Granty at the first bounce, snarling threats and insults and promising broken bones and Chris just smiled is country boy smile and said: Yeah, they told me you'd say things like that to me - and was not ruffled at all.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't there on the day but a friend once told me she was so wasted that she rolled into a ball and fell asleep at the foot of the advertising hoardings at the Barkly St end at that game.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard a story along the lines that Rhys Jones attacked Granty at the first bounce, snarling threats and insults and promising broken bones and Chris just smiled is country boy smile and said: Yeah, they told me you'd say things like that to me - and was not ruffled at all.
    Chris could arc up. He wasn't all sweetness and light and soft edges. It took a bit but if you poked his bear he could be an angry man with a lot of sharp edges. I was watching a game once and my dad said "quick Chris Grant right elbow" and I just saw the impact. It wasn't an elbow (he would never be so crude) it was the point of the shoulder and it split its target right down the middle. Deposited him in the middle of next week, I can't remember who it was he hit but it was up in Sydney and whoever it was had hit one of our guys earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    That is my favourite CARTON game BAD. Freezing cold but it was worth it. Standing on the Douggie Hawkins wing. I still reckon that wasn't a free at the end against Super even though it was on the other side of the ground. God I still remember how cold those beers felt in my hand even today.
    I loved footy in those days. Some of the best contests ever were played in atrocious conditions. Remember how Libber launched his career after getting a run in the wet? He just loved the wet.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

17. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I loved footy in those days. Some of the best contests ever were played in atrocious conditions. Remember how Libber launched his career after getting a run in the wet? He just loved the wet.
    Yes he tells the story the more it rained on the day of the game the happier he would be.