Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors - Round 18 vs Gold Coast Suns

This is the round 18, 2017 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Gold Coast is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Optional: New addition to the Bankers and Anchors Banchors 3 players we thought who were in the middle in how they went in the game neither a Banker or Anchor.

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Rroun 18 vs Gold Coast Suns

B

Picko - 6 goals. Wow!
    Young - Showed that last week wasn't a fluke.
    Marks inside 50

A

Suckling - making really poor decisions almost every week
    Bob - Looked a long way off the pace.
    Injuries - *!*!*!*! off already.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Rroun 18 vs Gold Coast Suns

4 percent increase is a big banker for the finals chances.
    Also great to see Dahl kick a couple of goals. He needs to do that to offset his field kicking
    Oh and Redpath getting involved around the ground even when he wasn't hitting the scoreboard was a very good sign. Hopefully not at risk of a suspension with the jumper punch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 18 vs Gold Coast Suns

Bankers:
    JJ showing signs of getting back to his hard running best.
    Reckon we underrate the importance of Biggs to our side. Defends well and provides plenty of run.
    Bailey Dale is our new Tory Dickson when it comes to conversion.

Banchors:
    Wallis has replaced Libba as the bloke providing silver service to our outside runners...unfortunately Libba is not what he was.
    Dahlhaus' disposal vastly improved this week...although the GC pressure was poor.
    Liked Redpath's physical game but he will be a little nervous after his jumper punch on Lynch. Great to see our blokes flying the flag though.

Anchors:
    Murph started the game well hitting targets but gee he fell away. The end coming quickly despite Alistair Lynch declaring he had played a pretty good game.
    Suckling in the first half. Continually goes for 50/50 kicks in dangerous places where an error almost certainly costs a goal.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Suckling in the first half. Continually goes for 50/50 kicks in dangerous places where an error almost certainly costs a goal.
    Suckling needs to learn that it's not about kicking the best possible (looking) kick in every situation, it's about kicking the ball in a way that gives your team mate the best chance to mark it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Suckling needs to learn that it's not about kicking the best possible (looking) kick in every situation, it's about kicking the ball in a way that gives your team mate the best chance to mark it.

He was really poor today I thought. He made mistake after mistake and didn't learn from any of them.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

Picken - Great game kicking half a dozen

Daniel - Such a great mover and user of the ball

Bailey Dale - Kicked a couple and is a huge improver this year.

Anchors:

Morris injury

2nd quarter wasn't the best

Some poor defending early on in the game in that 1st quarter
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I know we are only allowed 3 bankers but thought JJ was worthy of banker status today. Looks like his slowly getting back some form and today was another big step. Some of his run was exciting again like last week.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He was really poor today I thought. He made mistake after mistake and didn't learn from any of them.
    Can't agree with this. Did it once in the first quarter, otherwise he played well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankit
    Picken kickin 6 with a couple more chances.
    Caleb so consistently gets us out of a tough situation with a turn and precise ball movement. Gem.
    Wallis since his return has been immense. He has the hunger Libba needs to find again.

Anka
    I was bullish on suckers for a long time but he has become painful to watch, seems inversely proportionate to the bulldog way
    Goals to the suns out the back are a bad look
    We make some silly mistakes and we got away with a lot today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't agree with this. Did it once in the first quarter, otherwise he played well.
    He did some good and some bad things but it's a regular problem with his kicking that he tries to pull off an unnecessarily hard kick when there's no reason to do so and where it only makes it harder for his team mate to receive the ball. Having it kicked to your feet or speared in at 100 miles an hour only makes it harder on everyone else.

And he's been doing it in bad positions to turn the ball over as others have noted.

He wasn't awful on the whole today but there was certainly more than one poor kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Forward 50 delivery - made the right calls today on when to chip it around and when to go quickly. Got some over the back goals, contested marks and marks on the lead
    Fitness - ran out the game well a man down and in warmer conditions than they are used to
    Liam Picken - strong in the air, quick on the ground, great finishing

Anchors

Starts - You shouldn't concede the first 3 goals to a side that you are good enough to beat 16 goals to 5 after that
    Morris injury - poor bugger doesn't deserve what he has had to endure, from leg, to back, and now arm
    Murphy - sloppy ball handling and poor awareness
    Last edited by boydogs; 23-07-2017 at 10:45 AM.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Suckling is interesting. Today was a typical game by him where he makes you increasingly nervous with some unrealistic passes but then throws in some exquisite passes that have you wanting more. His turnover in the first quarter has become a regular feature of his game where he tries to nail a low percentage pass in a dangerous position. His pass to McLean in the last quarter however was a thing of beauty.

His best passes are those he weights nicely whilst the worst are the ones he tries to kick the shit out of. I would love to see more of the former as there are way too many of the latter IMO. At the moment he does enough to hold his place but he sails close to the edge. I think he's been lucky with our injuries and the fact we do not have a lot of leg speed so moving the ball quickly by foot has obvious appeal.

14. Likes boydogs, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Suckling is interesting. Today was a typical game by him where he makes you increasingly nervous with some unrealistic passes but then throws in some exquisite passes that have you wanting more. His turnover in the first quarter has become a regular feature of his game where he tries to nail a low percentage pass in a dangerous position. His pass to McLean in the last quarter however was a thing of beauty.

His best passes are those he weights nicely whilst the worst are the ones he tries to kick the shit out of. I would love to see more of the former as there are way too many of the latter IMO. At the moment he does enough to hold his place but he sails close to the edge. I think he's been lucky with our injuries and the fact we do not have a lot of leg speed so moving the ball quickly by foot has obvious appeal.
    The one you refer to in the first quarter was not one where he tried to 'kick the shit out of'. It was a dinky little chip kick that resulted in a costly turnover. It was lacking appropriate composure and smarts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    The one you refer to in the first quarter was not one where he tried to 'kick the shit out of'. It was a dinky little chip kick that resulted in a costly turnover. It was lacking appropriate composure and smarts.
    Agree....I was talking more generally. That one in the first quarter was fine....if it had been to a contest on the flank rather than the top of the centre square.