Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From the Past - Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    * The half time fight in 2000

* The drawn match, I think 2002 when Lloyd had a shot on the siren to win, from 20 metres out and kicked a point to draw the match.

* The mark that dirty little bugger took standing on Johnno's head

* Drawn match 1979, KT 6 goals

* Scotty West debut year, kicked 6 against Essendon in his 5th game, at WO, and they won the flag that year
    That was the game that Kretiuk kept punching him in the hand during. I reckon Lloyd was still worrying about it when he took his shot.

The game in 1987 at windy hill. We were falling further behind during the first half until Angelo Petraglia (from the prototype 1980s Liberatore/Petraglia wog squad) had a snap at goal turn at silly angles and bounce through, then Beasley got 2 silly free kicks that he kicked goals from and all of a sudden we were back in town. We won pretty easily in the end.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Essedon has always been our natural enemy and one of my most hated clubs. We have had some good battles with them.

What are your favourite games?

I will kick off with the famous victory in round 21, 2000.

That game is on my 'Damn, I wish I was there' list, along with last year's prelim.

Post Thanks / Like

1. The 2000 win
    2. Any win at windy hill

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to bring the mood down, but I was present for our worst ever loss and it was against the Drug Cheats at the western oval. It was 1982 and we lost by over 140 points.

The next year we had our 3rd worst ever loss. Windy hill, 132 points. My abiding memory is of the relentless humiliation of their awful fans, one of them constantly calling for the gates to be locked so no Bulldogs fan could escape. Did I mention I was standing, packed in among them in the terraces?

My god our club has endured some hard times.

Ok, are we all psyched up for the Bombres now?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Not to bring the mood down, but I was present for our worst ever loss and it was against the Drug Cheats at the western oval. It was 1982 and we lost by over 140 points.

The next year we had our 3rd worst ever loss. Windy hill, 132 points. My abiding memory is of the relentless humiliation of their awful fans, one of them constantly calling for the gates to be locked so no Bulldogs fan could escape. Did I mention I was standing, packed in among them in the terraces?

Jim Sewell swore during an interview on the Winners after that game. "Probably shouldn't have said that" says Jim. Doug Heywood doesn't miss a beat " that's alright. You just lost by 22 goals, you can swear"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And we are still the reigning Champions of Victoria thanks to a win we had over Essendon in 1924.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1924...ip_of_Victoria

That makes us the Champs going on for 91 years and we don't look like being knocked off our perch many time soon.
    If they reintroduced this concept this year, it'd be WB v Footscray and our club would be guaranteed o retain the title.

9. Likes Eastdog, boydogs, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    That game is on my 'Damn, I wish I was there' list, along with last year's prelim.
    Yeah those 2 games also I didn't attend but would of loved to have been to them.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah those 2 games also I didn't attend but would of loved to have been to them.
    Those games are gone now guys enjoy them for what they are. I would have liked to be at spotless but I wasn't. But I still got to watch it with knackers and danced with strangers afterwards. I don't feel like I missed out much.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those games are gone now guys enjoy them for what they are. I would have liked to be at spotless but I wasn't. But I still got to watch it with knackers and danced with strangers afterwards. I don't feel like I missed out much.
    Yes will never forget prelim final night 2016 with us getting to a GF the last time being 55 years ago. Was pretty much in tears that night and the family who aren't Doggies fans were very happy for me and the fact we made it and knocked out Greater Waste of Space. Was at the Semi Final and GF which both were great games.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yes will never forget prelim final night 2016 with us getting to a GF the last time being 55 years ago. Was pretty much in tears that night and the family who aren't Doggies fans were very happy for me and the fact we made it and knocked out Greater Waste of Space. Was at the Semi Final and GF which both were great games.

I ended up dancing with my non English speaking neighbors.

15. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim Sewell swore during an interview on the Winners after that game. "Probably shouldn't have said that" says Jim. Doug Heywood doesn't miss a beat " that's alright. You just lost by 22 goals, you can swear"
    Reckon Jim Sewell started in 83,two. I reckon we lead at quarter time in that game also. Didn't go to that game ( thank Christ)
    Great thing was they were pumped up to go deep in the finals, yet they went out in week 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

Urgggghhhh round 5 1983 i think it was. We had won 3 of the first 4 from memory and were coming off the Anzac day win over the Tiges. To say i was on cloud nine as i entered Windy hill that day would have been an understatement. One of the most soul destroying days at the footy i've experienced. As i walked out, a bomber supporter grabbed my scarf to 'wipe the tears off my face'. Sigh...

Post Thanks / Like

This is how you pack it out at a suburban ground. Over 33,000 jam packed in.

This was a bloody ripper BAD! Big build up all week. Biggest crowd i'd ever experienced at the Western Oval. After this win i thought anything was possible. Not a star-studded line up but Mick had them playing like a real team.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Reckon Jim Sewell started in 83,two. I reckon we lead at quarter time in that game also. Didn't go to that game ( thank Christ)
    Great thing was they were pumped up to go deep in the finals, yet they went out in week 1.
    1983 is correct. We bought a heap of really useful players like Hansen, Williams, Sewell and Kellett and a few genuine stars like Purser, Royal, Wallis McLean and Foster into the team in 1983. 1983 is when the club changed around.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Urgggghhhh round 5 1983 i think it was. We had won 3 of the first 4 from memory and were coming off the Anzac day win over the Tiges. To say i was on cloud nine as i entered Windy hill that day would have been an understatement. One of the most soul destroying days at the footy i've experienced. As i walked out, a bomber supporter grabbed my scarf to 'wipe the tears off my face'. Sigh...
    Being assaulted by boozed up lunatics.
    They were great days weren't they?

Post Thanks / Like

1983 is correct. We bought a heap of really useful players like Hansen, Williams, Sewell and Kellett and a few genuine stars like Purser, Royal, Wallis McLean and Foster into the team in 1983. 1983 is when the club changed around.
    Yeah after a dismal '82 it was like the board (i think tony capes was president) decided the club had to take a stand. We had been raided by other clubs for past decade. Still our best recruiting drive ever.