Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8, 2018 vs Brisbane Lions

Agree with the sentiment regarding English. He does look like he is screaming out for a rest. Trengove should be a direct replacement.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see Suckling sent forward to make Hodge defend, and JJ and Williams to play the rebound roles off half back. I'd much prefer Suckling to be playing VFL, but that's probably not going to happen this week.

Cordy, Young & Naughton to mind the tall Brisbane forwards and Crozier to zone off and use his closing speed to impact the aerial contests.

If Honeychurch makes way, Schache might be the option to stretch the Lions defense. This is where whoever plays on Hodge must draw him away from the ball and minimise both his direct and indirect impact on the game. By playing a supposed "genuine ball user" like Suckling on Hodge, we can use Suckers if Hodge decides to play off him to allow him to get to the next contest as the extra defender. If Suckers is "on", he can hurt them by foot.

So,
    In : Trengove, Schache
    Out:English, Honeychurch

If Bont is fit, Jongy makes way for him.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

2. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to bear in mind for those wanting to drop Jong is he has played a defensive role on Cripps and Martin the last 2 weeks. Collingwood was the first team in several weeks to not bother tagging Zorko and he had 34 touches and kicked 4 goals. We cant afford to make the same mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be shocked if English plays, especially after that particularly peculiar ruck set up being used in the last quarter. He needs a rest and I still have doubts about him (for right now at this moment in time) as a first-line ruck against the type-A physical big bodied rucks - of which Stef Martin definitely is.

I feel like I've been pretty clear about Trengove but he deserves a chance after his game on the weekend.

Schache's mobility around the ground has actually been pretty impressive whenever I've had the chance to see him this year and don't think we're necessarily too tall with him in. He's playing more like a flanker than a KPF at this stage, which can still be useful. Bring him in for Jong or HC, and drop the other one for Bont if he's right to go.

I want to rest Richards but my dude Biggs can't be played after his effort in the twos, and there isn't really anyone else to bring in.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    One thing to bear in mind for those wanting to drop Jong is he has played a defensive role on Cripps and Martin the last 2 weeks. Collingwood was the first team in several weeks to not bother tagging Zorko and he had 34 touches and kicked 4 goals. We cant afford to make the same mistake.

Jong got smashed by Cripps, and he has a tendency to get lost when playing on players who can spread from a contest and get into dangerous outside positions quickly (like Zorko).

Would feel more comfortable with Daniel or Dunkley playing this role.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Jong got smashed by Cripps, and he has a tendency to get lost when playing on players who can spread from a contest and get into dangerous outside positions quickly (like Zorko).

The only problem with that is Caleb is probably our best and most surest ball user aside from Macrae. If Caleb can hurt them on the spread, that'll work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Jong went onto Cripps after Cripps had a 12 disposal first quarter. Jong held him for two quarters, but Cripps got on top in the last quarter. I thought Jong also got on top of Martin in the end. I am not saying Jong is the man, but he has played a bit better over the last few weeks and I doubt he will be dropped.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post

Cordy, Young & Naughton to mind the tall Brisbane forwards and Crozier to zone off and use his closing speed to impact the aerial contests.
    He has closing speed? I thought he looked really slow on the weekend and will need to really improve his performances to maintain his spot in the team as we get some players back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He has closing speed? I thought he looked really slow on the weekend and will need to really improve his performances to maintain his spot in the team as we get some players back.
    I've never seen any evidence of it. He uses the ball well but he's no Usain Bolt
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Decision on The Bont - Thursday according to Bevo in press conference today

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How did Morris go in his first training session back today?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I've never seen any evidence of it. He uses the ball well but he's no Usain Bolt
    Probably more to do with his timing to get to the contest at the right time more than "closing speed".

Last week his efforts to spoil were interrupted by Matt Suckling trying to play the same role resulting in no one staying down and leaving us short in numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Probably more to do with his timing to get to the contest at the right time more than "closing speed".

Last week his efforts to spoil were interrupted by Matt Suckling trying to play the same role resulting in no one staying down and leaving us short in numbers.
    Bloody Suckling

15. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane to go with a tall forward and backline. I guess that means we stick with our 3 tall backs in Cordy, Naughton and Young. Not sure if it will alter our forward setup.

Link

Fagan said he was likely to stick with a taller outfit against the Bulldogs after being so competitive with Collingwood last Sunday.

Against the Magpies they used a three-pronged forward line that included Eric Hipwood, Dan McStay and Oscar McInerney, and three tall defenders in Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner and debutant Matt Eagles.

Suspended Nick Robertson will likely return to play the Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have anyone else to bring in, especially with the injury cloud over Suckling.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We don't have anyone else to bring in, especially with the injury cloud over Suckling.
    Schache against his old team might be an interesting choice.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023