Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  29
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8, 2018 vs Brisbane Lions

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Probably more to do with his timing to get to the contest at the right time more than "closing speed".

Last week his efforts to spoil were interrupted by Matt Suckling trying to play the same role resulting in no one staying down and leaving us short in numbers.
    A knowledge of where the ball is likely to go next can be as handy as leg speed. Last year in the game against Collingwood when it was pretty tight I watched Matt Suckling leave his man at halfback and run off halfback to a spot 20 metres on the non goal side of the contest.

I tapped my son on the shoulder and said "what's he doing?" And my son said "oh I've seen him do this before, just watch" Suckling stood there for a good ten seconds and then bugger me sideways the ball squirted out of the pack and rolled straight to him. He bent over and collected it and then kicked it straight back over the contest for a goal. I can remember all the players in the pack watching it disappear over their heads like ten soccer goalkeepers. Which is ironic because Suckers kicks the ball just like a soccer goalie
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    A knowledge of where the ball is likely to go next can be as handy as leg speed. Last year in the game against Collingwood when it was pretty tight I watched Matt Suckling leave his man at halfback and run off halfback to a spot 20 metres on the non goal side of the contest.

I tapped my son on the shoulder and said "what's he doing?" And my son said "oh I've seen him do this before, just watch" Suckling stood there for a good ten seconds and then bugger me sideways the ball squirted out of the pack and rolled straight to him. He bent over and collected it and then kicked it straight back over the contest for a goal.
    The best player we ever had for that IMO was Brad Hardie. He'd waddle of his man in the back pocket, seemingly away from the play 2 or 3 times a quarter and the ball would always seem to find it's way to him, sometimes 100 metres and 20 seconds later and not always from a teammate. His ability to read the play well in advance was uncanny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We don't have anyone else to bring in, especially with the injury cloud over Suckling.
    Is Suckling a likely out? That's awkward team balance wise as there is no obvious replacememnt unless we go to the Webb or Biggs well again. Also might mean Richards holds his spot when a rest is better long term. Hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

I tapped my son on the shoulder and said "what's he doing?" And my son said "oh I've seen him do this before, just watch" Suckling stood there for a good ten seconds and then bugger me sideways the ball squirted out of the pack and rolled straight to him. He bent over and collected it and then kicked it straight back over the contest for a goal. I can remember all the players in the pack watching it disappear over their heads like ten soccer goalkeepers. Which is ironic because Suckers kicks the ball just like a soccer goalie
    TBH I'm impressed at your young bloke's insight.

Post Thanks / Like

In Bont, Webb
    out jong and English

no ruck in
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Boyd will ruck with Dunks

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looks like Boyd will ruck with Dunks
    Hmmm.

Makes for an interesting day if Boyd (knock on wood) hurts himself early.

Post Thanks / Like

Flabbergasted.. again!

#inbevowetrust

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering if we'll see a late change. Bont out for Trengove.
    Make them plan for Bont and then have him as a late out and force them to adjust their plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't understand why Webb comes in and Trengove doesn't

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Wondering if we'll see a late change. Bont out for Trengove.
    Make them plan for Bont and then have him as a late out and force them to adjust their plan.
    If we're playing games like this at the selection table then we've lost the actual already.

Anyway baffling selections?

Post Thanks / Like

Webb! Really? Sigh.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Bevo sees Boyd as a ruckman not a KPF?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd is the only player who's looked likely when left forward for any length of time yet we are making him ruck most of the game. Over it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

16. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Maybe Bevo sees Boyd as a ruckman not a KPF?
    Bevo on Marngrook last night, in referring to Boyd playing in ruck, said he enjoys it. I took that as somewhat of a self-justification.
    Footscray Football Republic.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post