Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  29
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8, 2018 vs Brisbane Lions

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Bont has had a very gentle week on the track to nurse his hip. If he rucks against Martin, we have seriously lost the plot.
    Exactly I suspect he'll be eased back in by playing predominately forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Hope this is just taking the piss out of us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Maybe the MC are aware that Bont won't be a starter and Trengove will replace him. Just keeping Brisbane in the dark for a while longer. Maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Bevo last week said in the post match that we were exposed in the Ruck and our strategies needed to be addressed. To drop English and replace him with a midfielder just doesn't add up. Surely Trengove is a late in.
    Yep I think Bont out and Trengove will come in. When you've got a player like Marcus you might as well make the opposition plan for him so hopefully they will have to neglect some other aspects of their preperation.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Boyd is the only player who's looked likely when left forward for any length of time yet we are making him ruck most of the game. Over it.
    Boggles the mind...

I can see Brisbane punishing us.

Even if they don’t I just wish we’d commit to developing a bloody key forward without turning them into something else.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Boggles the mind...

I can see Brisbane punishing us.

Even if they don’t I just wish we’d commit to developing a bloody key forward without turning them into something else.

It just looks like we are being too clever by half. I'm preparing to watch us pull our own trousers down this week. God I hope I'm wrong.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Another frustrating Thursday selection.

You'd hope Trengrove is a late in, otherwise, Martin would be mad not to have his knee pointed firmly at Boyd's ribs from the first bounce.

Post Thanks / Like

Have we been told they plan to open the roof?

Trengove *has* to be a late in - I like Boyd playing extended ruck minutes, but not 80% +
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Have we been told they plan to open the roof?

Trengove *has* to be a late in - I like Boyd playing extended ruck minutes, but not 80% +
    I thought he did very well in the end rucking most of the game against GC. He may not have been dominant in the hitouts, but around the ground I thought he was the best big man.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Maybe Bevo sees Boyd as a ruckman not a KPF?
    With Campbell not really up to it, Roughead injured and just coming back this week, English needing a rest and Trengove also coming back from an injury, perhaps we don't have a choice. Would have been nice to get Schache in there to stay up forward, but I don't think he is ready.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I thought he did very well in the end rucking most of the game against GC. He may not have been dominant in the hitouts, but around the ground I thought he was the best big man.
    That's true but English still gave him handy minutes off the ball. With no proper support for Boyd, we do look horribly exposed. It's also a huge ask on Boyd given he has had his issues and is really just finding his feet again as a player.

On the other hand, Brisbane's side is insanely tall (they have named 4 200cm+ players, 10 at 190 cm+), so maybe our plan is to concede the height and just run them off their feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    With Campbell not really up to it, Roughead injured and just coming back this week, English needing a rest and Trengove also coming back from an injury, perhaps we don't have a choice. Would have been nice to get Schache in there to stay up forward, but I don't think he is ready.
    Trengove has had 2 games back now (and a bye in the middle) after a 2-3 week lay-off... if he isn't ready now he will never be. He also had about 25 disposals and 20 HO's in his latest game so seems to be in reasonable form. This makes his acquistion absolutely stupid if we can't slot him in when we are clearly struggling for big man stocks in the ruck & front half of the ground.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, hujsh, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boyd's not that good a ruckman that we couldn't find someone else to do about as good a job reasonably cheaply. He should be playing forward but we just refuse to do so even when he looked pretty decent there his 1st 2 games back. Infuriating.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Boyd's not that good a ruckman that we couldn't find someone else to do about as good a job reasonably cheaply. He should be playing forward but we just refuse to do so even when he looked pretty decent there his 1st 2 games back. Infuriating.
    Exactly. This is what shits me. Boyd will be semi-serviceable in the ruck... He's over 200cm and 100kg. He will never develop into a gun KPP because he's never given enough time to develop into a gun KPP. If we don't have any patience to developed a pick one (by a country mile), some called once in a generation forward, then we will never ever develop one. I started a now locked thread about the last thing you want the dogs coach to say now we drafted Boyd (at the time). I said something like, 'we've found our new full back'. I was close to my fear.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Trengove has had 2 games back now (and a bye in the middle) after a 2-3 week lay-off... if he isn't ready now he will never be. He also had about 25 disposals and 20 HO's in his latest game so seems to be in reasonable form. This makes his acquistion absolutely stupid if we can't slot him in when we are clearly struggling for big man stocks in the ruck & front half of the ground.
    Yep

Really hope Jackson is a late in, or his recruitment ATM is looking pointless

I'll repeat - I like Boyd in the ruck, he's pretty decent finding an option in traffic. Just don't think 80% + is ideal.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I agree he should be in, I was giving the alternative thoughts and trying to work out why he isn't in.

I would not have Webb in and preferred if Trengove was in.

Obviously Bevo has a plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the obvious ruck issue, who goes to Zorko with Jong out? Or do we just let him do as he pleases?