Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  29
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 8, 2018 vs Brisbane Lions

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    Ive given up on our MC, I mean I know they are certified genius(tm) level selectors, but gosh they make it hard to understand what on earth is going on.....

No ruckman.... No worries?
    Tom Boyd. Richmond play with one ruck
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Tom Boyd. Richmond play with one ruck
    But it's not Jack Riewoldt. They play a ruckman AND Jack Riewoldt.

We play Boyd and no one else.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Exactly. This is what shits me. Boyd will be semi-serviceable in the ruck... He's over 200cm and 100kg. He will never develop into a gun KPP because he's never given enough time to develop into a gun KPP. If we don't have any patience to developed a pick one (by a country mile), some called once in a generation forward, then we will never ever develop one. I started a now locked thread about the last thing you want the dogs coach to say now we drafted Boyd (at the time). I said something like, 'we've found our new full back'. I was close to my fear.
    I'm going to call the Hyperbole Police onto you if you keep this up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I reckon the 2 players that need to be watched closely are Zorko and Rich. I like Wallis predominantly HFF on Rich, with Dunkley changing, while we'll probably rotate on Zorko, a bit HC, a bit Dunkley, a bit Dahlhaus?
    Rich is the type of player who could get completely off the chain and punish a young team trying to put together a team defence, like ourselves.

I think we need to put a number of players through the middle and through the blokes you've mentioned.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He took Harbrow last week so perhaps negate Rich's rebound as a defensive forward?
    Potentially, but Rich is a pretty strongly built player so might be able to push off HC.

Then Wallis plays a run with role on Zorko and Macrae goes head to head with Beams. Leaves McLean as the 'free' midfielder and he's in career best form.
    Not sure Wallis has the ability to spread with Zorko... Would also think Robinson will go to Macrae.

They're tall in the front half so we will really want Crozier, Williams and Richards to run off at every opportunity and tall in the back half so the chaos ball might get a work out this round.
    Long bombs inside 50 won't be what we will be after this week so hopefully we are able to create some space and separation and then lower our eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm going to call the Hyperbole Police onto you if you keep this up.
    Your threats don't scare me. Neither does the end of the world, which is close by the way.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

How's this for a stark difference;

Brisbane 5 tallest players; McInerney 204, Hipwood 203, Andrews 201, Eagles 200, Martin 199.

Dogs 5 tallest players; Boyd 200, Young 197, Naughton 195, Cordy 193, Bontempelli 193.

Their 5th tallest in Martin, ours is the Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Long bombs inside 50 won't be what we will be after this week so hopefully we are able to create some space and separation and then lower our eyes.
    We are number 1 in the league for marks inside 50 so lowering our eyes and hitting up a target is one of the few things we have been doing well this year. Their tall backline may just play into our hands if can continue this trend. If only we could convert all those chances...

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why did we recruit so many giants, but yet continue to pick a midget team?

Our recruiting and our match planning are absolute polar opposites and I know I've banged on about it enough but I just can't understand where the breakdown is coming from.

We clearly have no intention to develop Boyd as a key forward. We don't value rucks. We don't even value key forwards. But we've heavily recruited personnel for both positions and we play them all VFL and/or out of position.

WHY!?

The 'Bevo has a plan' line infuriates me no end. Maybe he does - he wants to run taller sides off their feet. Fine. So why did we recruit Trengove and Schache, plus keep Campbell/Roughy and to a lesser extent re-sign Roberts/Collins? We drafted Naughton too, who obviously has done well to date.

Campbell is fit enough to play and so is Trengove, so injury isn't an excuse. If we really wanted a tall forward present we'd play Schache with Boyd.

Just can't understand our recruiting v match day planning.

12. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Our recruiting and our match planning are absolute polar opposites and I know I've banged on about it enough but I just can't understand where the breakdown is coming from.

We clearly have no intention to develop Boyd as a key forward. We don't value rucks. We don't even value key forwards. But we've heavily recruited personnel for both positions and we play them all VFL and/or out of position.

WHY!?

The 'Bevo has a plan' line infuriates me no end. Maybe he does - he wants to run taller sides off their feet. Fine. So why did we recruit Trengove and Schache, plus keep Campbell/Roughy and to a lesser extent re-sign Roberts/Collins? We drafted Naughton too, who obviously has done well to date.

Campbell is fit enough to play and so is Trengove, so injury isn't an excuse. If we really wanted a tall forward present we'd play Schache with Boyd.

Our inability to recruit quality midfielders at the expense of an over indulgence of taller ruck/ key position players is both confusing and worrying. Clubs like Richmond Sydney and Hawthorn have been far more adept in targeting small to medium size players. If you play Schache to play as a key forward then why not play Tom Boyd in the ruck where he was a strong factor in our 2016 Premiership. If you recruit Naughton and Young as key defenders and retain Morris, do we need Collins and Adams plus Trengrove whose best position with PA was as a key defender. It would appear that Campbell and Roberts are now out of favour with Bevo going forward. Roughead’s best position has been as a second string ruckman which now appears superfluous to the way the game is now being played with the stronger Clubs getting by with one key ruckman. We have one quality midfielder in Bont now with Liberatore out injured. It isn’t good enough. A good centre line of Hunter Maclean and Macrae has been some compensation. Without Picken and the struggling Dickson we lack quality goalkickers at ground level. Lipinski and Gowers are emerging talent as goalkickers. Bevo lacks off field support. Whether Sam Power is the answer remains to be seen. Clubs like Richmond and Hawthorn have lured outstanding football people in Neil Balme and Graham Wright, Head of Recruitment at Hawthorn who has put an outstanding reputation.
    Last edited by Nuggety Back Pocket; 11-05-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Now out of favour, instead of now in favour. Liberatore our injured instead of our.

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis on Zorko isn’t an option - Wallis would need a motorised scooter to go with the Zork - and I like Wal.

Picking zero tall forwards/just Boyd as a ruck is irresponsible. Yeah, maybe we’ll win, but not at the selection table where they are just being smart arses. It is no way to build the side going forward where we will surely need Boyd PLUS one other tall - whether as a ruck or a forward. We can’t just pick what we think is a clever selection for that weekend and hope it works out - at some point we need to back in a sustainable line up. If anyone thinks that Dunkley/Bont as 2 ruck/tall forward is sustainable, then let’s revisit down the track and see how we are going.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Wallis on Zorko isn’t an option - Wallis would need a motorised scooter to go with the Zork - and I like Wal.

Picking zero tall forwards/just Boyd as a ruck is irresponsible. Yeah, maybe we’ll win, but not at the selection table where they are just being smart arses. It is no way to build the side going forward where we will surely need Boyd PLUS one other tall - whether as a ruck or a forward. We can’t just pick what we think is a clever selection for that weekend and hope it works out - at some point we need to back in a sustainable line up. If anyone thinks that Dunkley/Bont as 2 ruck/tall forward is sustainable, then let’s revisit down the track and see how we are going.
    At the moment we are manufacturing a team from those available. The MC hasn't had alot of options due to the injuries we have had. Our delivery into the forward line has been the best it has been for along time with many marks taken inside 50, something we haven't done well in the past. The issue has been conversion to goal, not a lack of a key forward. Schache will get his go when he starts performing consistently. If he can put in a good performance this week I think he may be ready for seniors.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

WHY!?

Campbell is still our best tap ruck man and would be our best option to match Martin who is in terrific form. Hard to understand that you would recruit a 150 game plus player in Trengrove and leave him languishing in the VFL. Honeychurch did very well as a tag on the Bombers Merrett and just might be the best suited to play on Zorko.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    At the moment we are manufacturing a team from those available. The MC hasn't had alot of options due to the injuries we have had. Our delivery into the forward line has been the best it has been for along time with many marks taken inside 50, something we haven't done well in the past. The issue has been conversion to goal, not a lack of a key forward. Schache will get his go when he starts performing consistently. If he can put in a good performance this week I think he may be ready for seniors.
    We have 2-3 rucks available yet I don't see any in the team

Post Thanks / Like

Be interesting to see if all 4 emergencies play against Port. today.