Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  48
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 7, 2018 - Western Bulldogs V Gold Coast Suns at Eureka Stadium, Ballarat

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Average Attributes
    Western Bulldogs Attribute Gold Coast
    186.9cm Height 188.3cm
    84.5kg Weight 85.2kg
    22yr 7mth Age 23yr 9mth
    53.3 Games

This is unbelievable
    Why does it matter? This is the team we are selecting. If we don't like the numbers we can select other players, Roberts over Young, Biggs instead of Richards etc. If we are picking the team that we thinks gives us the best chance of winning then we stand by that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day Round 7, 2018 - Western Bulldogs V Gold Coast Suns at Eureka Stadium, Ballarat

I dunno if @SgtButane is on here, but he tweeted that the side we fielded today (pre-Bont withdrawal) was the 10th least experience side selected by any side over the last 1500ish games, not including the expansion sides first few years.

That is absolutely massive. Regardless of Gold Coasts outs, amazing effort to win! Unfortunately I was playing footy today so didn't get to watch it, but I expected to lose based on our age profile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Why does it matter? This is the team we are selecting. If we don't like the numbers we can select other players, Roberts over Young, Biggs instead of Richards etc. If we are picking the team that we thinks gives us the best chance of winning then we stand by that.
    Matter? I just think it is interesting and a great performance from such a young team.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I dunno if @SgtButane is on here, but he tweeted that the side we fielded today (pre-Bont withdrawal) was the 10th least experience side selected by any side over the last 1500ish games, not including the expansion sides first few years.

That is absolutely massive. Regardless of Gold Coasts outs, amazing effort to win! Unfortunately I was playing footy today so didn't get to watch it, but I expected to lose based on our age profile.
    Makes the win even more significant
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bevo's comments in Friday's press conference were interesting around Trengove and Roberts, and starting with the latter, I get the genuine feeling the coaching panel is comfortable with what he can do at the level, but Young has been better in the VFL and gets his chance on merit coupled with future benefit. Fletcher is being challenged to be better at the lower level as a result, and is probably a fair chance to feature should he do so later in the year. Biggs is pretty much the same, he's going to give more than Richards for the most part, but he's not doing what's required at the lower level and for now is parked. He'll feature later in the year.

Trengove will definitely play in the next few weeks though, apparently Bev sees him as a forward ruck. It wouldn't surprise me to see English out this week and Trengove to go tandem with Boyd should he get through tonight's game.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you go today? Unscathed and a win?

7. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How did you go today? Unscathed and a win?
    Thanks for the query mate, icing up after a loss unfortunately! Was pretty happy to see the Dogs result in the rooms post match.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the query mate, icing up after a loss unfortunately! Was pretty happy to see the Dogs result in the rooms post match.
    Shame......I do remember that feeling, and it'll be all arms and concrete gumboots at the local discotheque this evening then, I assume........

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the Goober was the story to come out of the game today at Ballarat, if you watch Fox Footy's wrap up of the day.

Johnno has turned himself into a *!*!*!*!ing sycophant, Dermie wants to shag the Goobers mum.

Good TV all round.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think the issue with skills and decision making is that we see players who are experienced and have demonstrated they can be better than what they're displaying now, butcher the ball and make unnecessary errors. I can excuse a Naughton, Richards, Lipinski and Young making errors and not having the appropriate attention to detail, I really struggle with more experienced players who should be better more consistently struggling.

With respect to Jacko, I have been on board for a very long time and I do agree that he's in the elite bracket. Throughout his career to date he has had areas of his game that need working on each year, and each and every one of them has been enhanced - with goal kicking frequency being something that he's brought into his game these first few rounds. When I compare that to the bloke drafted one place before him, and the fact he has not improved in any basic area of the game since being drafted, I thank my lucky stars I get to cheer Jack on weekly. Tough as nails, skillful, and willing to stand up for us.
    I might be reading too much into it, but Macrae looked like he played today's game like he knew he was the best player out there that both sides had to offer.

He was already doing all of the hard stuff, but I think he's playing with a great deal more confidence.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Average Attributes
    Western Bulldogs Attribute Gold Coast
    186.9cm Height 188.3cm
    84.5kg Weight 85.2kg
    22yr 7mth Age 23yr 9mth
    53.3 Games

This is unbelievable
    These stats always make me think of our 1961 GF team - average age 22.1, average games 45 (Whitten the only 100+). Maybe not pertinent to the discussion at hand but still, amazing facts....

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I might be reading too much into it, but Macrae looked like he played today's game like he knew he was the best player out there that both sides had to offer.

He was already doing all of the hard stuff, but I think he's playing with a great deal more confidence.
    I am not sure why Jackson is not in the official leadership, but unofficially he’s exactly what you’d like our young guys to work towards. I love the fact that he keeps adding strings to his bow. Running down the wing bouncing the ball, taking contested marks up forward. You get the feeling he’d be the guy who when asked to review his own game, would always find areas to be critical. And for someone relatively low key, you can see he just HATES losing.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got in from a long transit, and glad to see we got another win. Also glad it appears I picked a good 3 weeks of matches to be away for...

On Macrae, agree - he must be in the elite category now and if we can get Bont firing consistently we're going to have a very capable midfield group for the balance of the season, when throwing in McLean (based on the stats his game looked OK?), Hunter, Wally and Dahl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Just got in from a long transit, and glad to see we got another win. Also glad it appears I picked a good 3 weeks of matches to be away for...

On Macrae, agree - he must be in the elite category now and if we can get Bont firing consistently we're going to have a very capable midfield group for the balance of the season, when throwing in McLean (based on the stats his game looked OK?), Hunter, Wally and Dahl.
    McLean was very very good, easily our [checks Marmo votes] second best behind Macrae.

Post Thanks / Like

Also forgot that he got ironed out by Brayden "Goober" "Hard Working Honest Footballer Young Gun Superstar" Crossley early which didn't look like it didn't hurt.

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae loves playing at Mars, had 41 disposals there last year as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post