Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Intra club-8/2/08

A great traditional wet day at the footy ground.

Teams were evenly matched with only a few missing due to injury-Williams, Skipper and Guido. No Ward due to school commitments.

-Cooney and Griffin started on each. Cooney was outstanding for the whole game, Griffin got moved off him fairly quickly and it was hard to tell who manned him up after that. Didnt really matter though because Cooney was in the zone and dominated.

-Aker was brilliant. He is such a smart player, didnt waste a touch.

-Eagleton played the quarterback role that Jordy has done the last couple of years.

-Ray showed composure and guts backing into the unknown to take marks a couple of time. Still has the same problems kicking though.

-Hudson dominated in the ruck until halftime. His palming to his teammates is going to be huge for Cooney, Eagleton and the midfieders this year. Went off at halftime to give Minson and Street more time on the ball.

-Cam White played more in the middle and played well. His decision making is improving

-Dale Morris is looking a bit like Hulk Hogan without the hair and the beard.

-Matty Boyd improved as the game wore on and ended up in the best

-Harbrow looked bigger and did some nice things.

-Brennan Stack looks very assured with the ball in his hands. I've got a feeling about this guy.

-Johnno was in the guts for most of the game and was, well, Johnno. Sensational!

The gamestyle has a more defensive aspect to it. The players are making more space and sharing the ball in defence until an option appears and then they run forward. Going forward was a bit of a problem because we stuffed about a bit with the ball instead of shooting for goal. There were also many times when opponents were made to 'earn' their marks and a few spotfires flared up around the ground. The ones that I remember were Eagelton and Johnno throwing a few punches, Minson and Higgins having and altercation at a centre bounce and Westy giving DFA a punch in the guts, but I didnt see what DFA did in the first place.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intra club-8/2/08

How did McDougall, Callan, Wight and Everitt go?

Where did Higgins play?

Did Lake get through a full game?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    How did McDougall,

Good, looks reamarkbly like Jordy in #23 from a distance.

Callan,

Outclassed by his opponent(Johnno)

Wight

Promising, Played mainly around the middle and got a bit of it. Might have a niggling injury though.

Everitt

Superb. The guy has footy smarts, knows where to run and is a beautiful kick. I will be suprised if he doesnt come on in leaps and bounds.
    Where did Higgins play?

Wing nominally but he worked hard between the 50 metre arcs. Gee he's got a loud voice.

Did Lake get through a full game?

Didnt notice him leave the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 2Dogs..

Just a quick one for you, say your at the pub talking footy and Higgins name comes up in conversation will you cut them off and say something like, 'Did you know he has a loud voice'.... I think we get the picture.... Shaun Higgins has a LOUD voice!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Where did Everitt play?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Intra-club

Good that the club already has a report up on its website.

I heard that several clubs refused to let us have it on their grounds, which along with the cricket and drought conditions put paid to having it elsewhere.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/De...2&newsId=55087

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Thanks 2Dogs..

Just a quick one for you, say your at the pub talking footy and Higgins name comes up in conversation will you cut them off and say something like, 'Did you know he has a loud voice'.... I think we get the picture.... Shaun Higgins has a LOUD voice!!!
    It keeps getting louder though.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post. Very analytical. I dug it....

Higgins. I want to see that guy snap 30 or 40 goals this year, a (likeable) Phil Matera type of player.

Good news about the Eagle. Hasn't received his due for us, so a big 2008 would be what he deserves. And Cam Wight, the forgotten player. Good to hear he is still putting his name forward.

How did we ever come up with DFA as a nickname? Dylan is so ripe with possibilities but we came up with DFA......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Where did Everitt play?

At full back on Grant. It was a good battle-Grant should be well pleased with himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Shorty View Post
    Great post. Very analytical. I dug it....

Higgins. I want to see that guy snap 30 or 40 goals this year, a (likeable) Phil Matera type of player.

Good news about the Eagle. Hasn't received his due for us, so a big 2008 would be what he deserves. And Cam Wight, the forgotten player. Good to hear he is still putting his name forward.

How did we ever come up with DFA as a nickname? Dylan is so ripe with possibilities but we came up with DFA......

Higgins is every chance of doing that, he's so good around the goals.

DFA is short for Dylan ****ing Addison. It's from Johnno's speech prior to Dylan's first game when he was receiving his jumper. The speech was littered with the 'F' word0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    At full back on Grant. It was a good battle-Grant should be well pleased with himself.
    I still see Grant and think Chris. Going to take me longer to adjust....

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of things from my notes.

Intra club matches are strange beasts - you're really excited to be there, but also worried something bad might happen. You want the players to show a bit of aggression and toughness, but also want them to be careful not to injure their opponents. Every time Griffen was the subject of a big tackle I held my breath until he got up ok.

For those not in Melbourne, the rain really pelted down for much of the first half and it must have been bitterly cold at times out on the ground. The ground seemed in good nick though, and there was no mud for those nostalgic about the good old days at WO.

The game was tough and hard, a bit fiery at times even, though another strange aspect is the semi-regular swapping of players from one team to another. Eagle and Johnno did kiss and make up five minutes or so after their tangle, but it was great to see a bit of passion on the field. In another example Cross screamed blue murder when a free was paid against him in front of goal (I'm sure Sockeye would've agreed that it was a clearly incorrect decision). Cross was also winded late in the game after tackling Lake, while he shook up Higgins with a very big tackle (and what looked an accidental poke in the face), and Cooney and Griffen laid some very big tackles on each other.

Just before getting to the match-ups and performances, intra-clubs are really hard to review completely accurately because you're interested in all 36 players out on the ground, rather than just 18, and it's impossible to follow everyone at the same time. Some of my comments and observations then, might be a bit different to other watchers.

Cooney V Griffen was one of the feature match-ups. I don't think Griff was disgraced and he actually did quite well at some stoppages and in the defensive half of the ground, but Cooney was on fire and really impressed with his work-rate and composure. Unlike sometimes last year he didn't panic when no option was immediately available, instead he wiggled his way clear and found someone free. They were rested at the same time and it was a fierce battle.

Everitt V Grant was another good match-up. Everitt looks much bigger than last year and played better the longer the game went (he did concede a goal to a bad hand-pass early). Grant was impressive on the lead but a bit unsure with the ball, and fumbled a few marks and hand-ball receives that you'd think he would normally gobble. His mum said that he's still getting used to the footy side of things after a fairly long lay-off. My sense was that he was played mainly as a CHF, with Everitt at CHB. In the last quarter Everitt changed sides, and McDougall took Grant.

McDougall spent most of the game on Wight, with both having fairly impressive games. The conditions didn't suit high-marking, and McDougall brought the ball to ground when he was in the contest. Wight was good at leading long into space though, and took a fair few sliding marks. His disposal was poor early but improved and I can see why Eade was fairly happy with his game. Dougs did look v like McMahon at times, and has good hands and desperation when the ball is there to be won. Ran forward a bit though was rarely used.

Higgins tore the game apart in the first quarter in the middle and moving forward but was then shaken up by the tackle of Cross (which I think did poke him around the eye). He played well thereafter but didn't dominate. Lots of class and it was good to see him winning the contested ball early - looks very hungry.

Aker was great. In everything and lots of important knock-ons, Michael Long style. Seems more composed and set up a fair few goals, as well as dobbing one himself.

Hill was one of the surprises to me. Played mainly in defense and beat Lynch and Stack convincingly (though Stack had a better game than Lynch). Was really good in one-on-one contests and then provided great run. His kicking did seem to lack penetration at one point though.

Stephen Tiller was another who impressed in defense. He played on Aker a bit, adn was in everything for awhile, and looked sure of himself as well. Was moved forward late and didn't have as much impact.

Ray was also steady and seemed like he belonged more. Took some great marks backing back, but his kicking is still a concern (Gotch indicated he might want to change his ball drop a bit).

I liked the look of Reid as well. Strong body already and was prepared to mix it up with the likes of Hahn. Hahn was a bit disappointing for mine, but he did have Morris on him for most of the game.

I'll write more later, got to finish some work by 5pm first though.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's only an intra club game, but from all reports Cooney was on fire.

I'm glad I took the 100-1 on him for the Brownlow back in December.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks 2D & RT. great reports. Notice Welsh at all? Did he play up fwd? What would you say about our fwd line structure given it sounds like johnno played a bit in the middle? Was it any different last year having someone taller like Minson or Wight up fwd?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reports guys, it's good to hear that there were no real injuries and they all performed well.