Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  30
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Oval Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I remember one senior lady (Mrs Hobbs, from memory) who would sneak her two chihuahuas into the games in her knitting bag. The dogs were named EJ and Dougie. When a Bulldog goal was scored she would say, "Goal EJ, goal", which caused the dog to leap about and bark madly for a moment or two.

PS, She was a gentle old soul, which is more than I can say about some of the older women who had their regular spots on the seating around the fence in those days. Their language may have been questionable, but their hearts were big, and all Bulldog.
    They could give you a mean brolly tap too.
    I think the wire wrap around the race was to protect the umpires from the old ladies more than anyone else.
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes muzzyahoy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I remember one senior lady (Mrs Hobbs, from memory) who would sneak her two chihuahuas into the games in her knitting bag. The dogs were named EJ and Dougie. When a Bulldog goal was scored she would say, "Goal EJ, goal", which caused the dog to leap about and bark madly for a moment or two.

PS, She was a gentle old soul, which is more than I can say about some of the older women who had their regular spots on the seating around the fence in those days. Their language may have been questionable, but their hearts were big, and all Bulldog.
    Was she the lady that had the dogs in a shopping trolley (Jeep) and walk to the ground?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes muzzyahoy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    They could give you a mean brolly tap too.
    I think the wire wrap around the race was to protect the umpires from the old ladies more than anyone else.
    Not nearly as bad as the ladies....if you could call them that....at Vic Park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Not nearly as bad as the ladies....if you could call them that....at Vic Park.
    It’ was quite popular at skinner reserve back in the 70s and 80s. You thought the sunshine players were hard, the mums were tougher. You touch the son you got attacked by the women mafia of braybrook.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Good to see the Whitten oval now.
    Can bar now near the old army reserve building .
    To be honest it looks like the replica of the old one under the scoreboard, which brings me to a thought , should have put it under the new scoreboard :-)
    The steps and grass at the Geelong road end are just perfect.
    Can?t wait to see the stand finished , will it still be the EJ Whitten stand ? I will be surprised if it is considering the ground is now named after him.
    You're thinking of a different (and a different kind of) can bar. This one was houses at the back of the John Gent stand. You needed to flash your social club membership to get access. It was in a cabin that was attached to the underside roof of the stand with a bar at the back where you could buy cans. The view of the ground was perfect and uninterrupted. It's the best place I've ever watched football from.

The bar you're thinking of (underneath the scoreboard) didn't have an elevated viewing platform like the can bar did.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You're thinking of a different (and a different kind of) can bar. This one was houses at the back of the John Gent stand. You needed to flash your social club membership to get access. It was in a cabin that was attached to the underside roof of the stand with a bar at the back where you could buy cans. The view of the ground was perfect and uninterrupted. It's the best place I've ever watched football from.

The bar you're thinking of (underneath the scoreboard) didn't have an elevated viewing platform like the can bar did.
    I did the one your talking about quite often as I used to get their early to watch the players I lived with in the reserves and my cousin was a stats man who used to do the under 19s reserves and seniors. We used to go together. I was also engaged to Bull Masons ( the trainer ) daughter at the time. He practically lived there or at the Powell hotel, trainers back in the 80s were huge drinkers.

I was just saying the one they have now near the old army reserve shed reminds me of the one under the scoreboard.
    Bring back the biff

10. Likes jeemak liked this post