Thanks Thanks:  52
Likes Likes:  175
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs - Arthur Jones

I actually think Arty is really suffering from his debilitating shoulder injuries which hasn't allowed him to strengthen that upper body that small forwards need to stick tackles. I feel that if his body was able to mature and strengthen, we could really focus on him being that pressure forward with 5-6 tackles and 10 touches a game. We're trialling him as a HF / wing in the VFL to try and get the footy in his hands more, but I think he'd be best suited at that small crumbing / pressure role long term.

It's just yet to be seen if he can actually put that size on or not. I'm of the belief we'll probably let him go end of year, but I could easily see him being picked back up in 2 or 3 years time and be great for whoever does. The question is just whether we want to keep him around and try to put that development into him ourselves. He's always looked better at AFL level anyway.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countrydog5 View Post
    I actually think Arty is really suffering from his debilitating shoulder injuries which hasn't allowed him to strengthen that upper body that small forwards need to stick tackles. I feel that if his body was able to mature and strengthen, we could really focus on him being that pressure forward with 5-6 tackles and 10 touches a game. We're trialling him as a HF / wing in the VFL to try and get the footy in his hands more, but I think he'd be best suited at that small crumbing / pressure role long term.

It's just yet to be seen if he can actually put that size on or not. I'm of the belief we'll probably let him go end of year, but I could easily see him being picked back up in 2 or 3 years time and be great for whoever does. The question is just whether we want to keep him around and try to put that development into him ourselves. He's always looked better at AFL level anyway.
    He's safe for next season as he's contracted until the end of 2025. Don't ask me how I know.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought around Artie's VFL form in 2024 - he is playing in a team with Croft as the only tall generally then followed by Bedendo.

I wonder how much better he would be crumbing to Naughton, Darcy, JUH?
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

5. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Just a thought around Artie's VFL form in 2024 - he is playing in a team with Croft as the only tall generally then followed by Bedendo.

I wonder how much better he would be crumbing to Naughton, Darcy, JUH?
    What position has he been playing in the VFL?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-season interruptions haven’t helped his cause.

Hope he gets a game soon. He’s definitely the type of player who’ll “do better” in an AFL side, but whether he’ll “do enough” remains to be seen. He probably can’t do any less than some others who’ve had opportunities.

8. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm biased because I love what he brings, speed, tricks and that indefinable X factor. Clarke deserves to be rewarded for his form in the VFL with an AFL game but two small pressure forwards going out might make room for both Arty and Charlie.

10. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Still digging View Post
    I'm biased because I love what he brings, speed, tricks and that indefinable X factor. Clarke deserves to be rewarded for his form in the VFL with an AFL game but two small pressure forwards going out might make room for both Arty and Charlie.
    Would you play both this week?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What position has he been playing in the VFL?
    Half fwd and sometimes wing. I’m sure I seen him in a couple of centre bounces vs Academy, but think this was just experimental.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH he's more VDM than West/Flea right now. Covers a fair bit of ground and does a lot of selfless stuff.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Half fwd and sometimes wing. I’m sure I seen him in a couple of centre bounces vs Academy, but think this was just experimental.
    Therefore he should be playing that role if he gets promoted
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Losing West and Weightman he should be a chance along with Clarke.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Would you play both this week?
    Why not play both. They have speed to burn and both have a good football nous. Both would be better at AFL than VFL. They would be hard to match up on.