Thread: North Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

Re: North Melbourne

North have sacked Thomas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I haven't heard the details of this but I wonder if they will still continue to provide a level of support ie counseling etc?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Crikey.

I don't see a great future for this guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I haven't heard the details of this but I wonder if they will still continue to provide a level of support ie counseling etc?
    I'd doubt it, surely that opens up some legal issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'm not so sure, I'd say they should continue providing it. Most companies when they retrench people will give them a 3 month support period albeit outsourced to someone else to manage.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

North sacks Thomas after he cops huge AFL ban

NORTH Melbourne has sacked Tarryn Thomas after he was suspended by the AFL for 18 matches after it found him guilty of inappropriate behaviour towards a woman.

He will be unable to participate in football matches at any level while he serves the suspension, which was handed down by the AFL on Thursday afternoon.

Subsequently, the Kangaroos informed Thomas he would no longer be a North Melbourne player.

Roos' CEO Jennifer Watt said the decision was made based on the recent finding and Thomas' prior indiscretions.

"The club has provided Tarryn with significant time, resources and support but we?ve now arrived at a point where the individual?s needs don?t match those of the club," Watt said.

"We know Tarryn needs help ? for himself and for the women in his life ? but it?s clear the path we?ve taken over the past 12 months hasn?t had the desired impact.

"To that end, we have made the decision to end Tarryn?s time at North Melbourne.

"This decision doesn?t come lightly or easily. We brought Tarryn to the club as a teenager and we acknowledge that he has faced complex and challenging circumstances over his life.

"We hope Tarryn will find the support that is right for him and that he does the work required to be the best version of himself.?

AFL general counsel Stephen Meade said Thomas' decision to send the offending messages while undertaking behavioural education program was a factor in the sanction.

"Tarryn?s conduct does not represent behaviours acceptable to anyone in our game or our community and his actions were not of a standard that the game or the public expect," Meade said.

"While we understand and are empathetic to the challenges Tarryn was facing in his personal life, there is no excuse for the behaviour or the hurt he caused a young woman, this is never okay.

"The fact that Tarryn chose to engage in behaviour over direct messages that was, and is, clearly inappropriate, even while he was undertaking education and being counselled for previous breaches contributed to the length of suspension imposed."

The 23-year-old had been training away from the footy club since the latest allegations came to hand.

Thomas was interviewed by the League's Integrity Unit last month following the allegation, and was previously stood down twice by the Kangaroos in 2023 amid concerns about his behaviour towards women.

Thomas escaped criminal conviction last July for threatening to distribute intimate videos of his former partner. He was initially charged with threatening to distribute an intimate image of another person, but this was downgraded by prosecutors to using a carriage service to harass someone.

He was granted a diversion, which meant he escaped a criminal conviction, and was ordered to pay $1000 to charity.

He was put through a respect and responsibility education program and spent three weeks in the VFL last year before later earning a senior recall in round 12, ultimately playing 12 AFL games.

The midfielder, drafted at pick No.8 in the 2018 AFL Draft, played 69 games and kicked 56 goals in a career interrupted by injuries and off-field issues since his 2019 debut.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So you're ok in principal for an organisation the has questionable decision making (AFLx says hello) being judge, jury and executioner with out actually knowing anything about the case?

I get the emotional leanings here, I too am disgusted by this type of behaviour. However, god help us if the AFL is the decision maker on someone's reputation.
    The AFL is more likely to try to sweep it under the carpet with a slap on the wrist than apply an appropriate sanction, but yes, this is a 'bringing the game into disrepute' case not a legal case, so I'm ok with the AFL meting out the punishment. As I mentioned earlier, if they are handing out an 18 week suspension (which they have now done), there won't be any doubt regarding his guilt.

Edit: I've just caught up on the fact he has now been sacked by North. Hopefully for him and others in his life, particularly women, there is some support structure in place and he takes advantage of it.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

8. Likes bulldogtragic, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure, I'd say they should continue providing it. Most companies when they retrench people will give them a 3 month support period albeit outsourced to someone else to manage.
    We dont do that when it's a violation of code of conduct.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    The AFL is more likely to try to sweep it under the carpet with a slap on the wrist than apply an appropriate sanction, but yes, this is a 'bringing the game into disrepute' case not a legal case, so I'm ok with the AFL meting out the punishment. As I mentioned earlier, if they are handing out an 18 week suspension (which they have now done), there won't be any doubt regarding his guilt.

Edit: I've just caught up on the fact he has now been sacked by North. Hopefully for him and others in his life, particularly women, there is some support structure in place and he takes advantage of it.
    He will struggle and this on the surface of what i've seen feels over the top. These kids are thrust into the limelight and some don't handle it so well.

On the other hand, how many chances do you get? Were North's systems good enough to support him?

It just grates me that Clarkson is the guy in charge there. His behaviour is pretty average.

We've jettisoned Tarryn, I doubt he will leave the system in a better position than he entered it.

Post Thanks / Like

They had Todd Viney on SEN just then and he said they'll be helping him over the next few months

Post Thanks / Like

This WW2 thread has gone way off track.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes chef, hujsh, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Less North Melbourne, more North African campaign.

16. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Less North Melbourne, more North African campaign.
    Where do I start?

Rats of Tobruk, Monty, Rommel, wowee what a theatre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShibbyUp View Post
    They had Todd Viney on SEN just then and he said they'll be helping him over the next few months
    What if he's still struggling after a few months? Seeya. This is a terrible idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    18,373 posts prior, and this is your best.