Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs Trades Out to St Kilda - A quick snap shot

I got to thinking about some of the not so great players St Kilda have taken from us directly, so dug around out of curiosity. Not a great track record of St Kilda taking our players off us directly it appears, with the headline names/trades:

Luke Beveridge: 45 mediocre games (we got 118 games from 'the gloved one', Tony Campbell)
    Luke Penny: 45 mediocre games (we blew the pick on Cam Faulkner)
    Shane Birss: 20 mediocre games (we blew the pick on MacDougall)
    Farren Ray: 130 'solid' games (we got premiership player Jordan Roughead though, before trading him out for nothing)
    Koby Stevens: 17 mediocre games before injury retired (we used the pick on Lew Young, before trading him out)
    Zaine Cordy: TBA games (free agent, we got nothing, just cut to the chase of history I guess)

Ours coming into us from St Kilda includes Josh Bruce, and indirectly Nicky Winmar via the draft.

Not quite the a great record all round. At least off field, we are up Luke Beveridge, Ameet Bains & Brendan Lade in recent times.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs Trades Out to St Kilda - A quick snap shot

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I got to thinking about some of the not so great players St Kilda have taken from us directly, so dug around out of curiosity. Not a great track record of St Kilda taking our players off us directly it appears, with the headline names/trades:

Luke Beveridge: 45 mediocre games (we got 118 games from 'the gloved one', Tony Campbell)
    Luke Penny: 45 mediocre games (we blew the pick on Cam Faulkner)
    Shane Birss: 20 mediocre games (we blew the pick on MacDougall)
    Farren Ray: 130 'solid' games (we got premiership player Jordan Roughead though, before trading him out for nothing)
    Koby Stevens: 17 mediocre games before injury retired (we used the pick on Lew Young, before trading him out)
    Zaine Cordy: TBA games (free agent, we got nothing, just cut to the chase of history I guess)

Ours coming into us from St Kilda includes Josh Bruce, and indirectly Nicky Winmar via the draft.

Not quite the a great record all round. At least off field, we are up Luke Beveridge, Ameet Bains & Brendan Lade in recent times.
    Bruce Duperouzel was a good get for us from the Saints in 83 and 84? Con Gorozides not so much!

I think we gave them Michael Ford too.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Frost looked a promising player for us in 92/93 and played in a couple of finals. Went to St Kilda in 94, played 11 games and was never seen again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bruce Duperouzel was a good get for us from the Saints in 83 and 84? Con Gorozides not so much!

I think we gave them Michael Ford too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Michael Frost looked a promising player for us in 92/93 and played in a couple of finals. Went to St Kilda in 94, played 11 games and was never seen again.
    Nearly the AFEL ‘Bermuda Triangle’ between the two clubs…
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

They used a high pick on him to.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They used a high pick on him to.
    Do you remember what happened there? There was no trade, they drafted him with pick 8 in the 1993 national draft. Why wouldn't we have traded him for that pick instead of ending up with nothing?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you remember what happened there? There was no trade, they drafted him with pick 8 in the 1993 national draft. Why wouldn't we have traded him for that pick instead of ending up with nothing?
    I can remember everyone shaking their head with the selection as they could have gotten him much later. Back then it was mainly player for player trades and I think we delisted him. From memory the Saints panicked due to an injury to one of their players and thought they really needed him.

I think I talked to Twodogs once about him and if anyone is going to remember the story behind it I'd back Twodogs.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't we poach Bevo five minutes after he was appointed head of their footy department?

Thread needs moar Mark Kellett.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Didn't we poach Bevo five minutes after he was appointed head of their footy department?

Thread needs moar Mark Kellett.
    Bevo was appointed Football Manager in July 2014, but was going to start in 2015.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.