Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  232
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL Aints

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LOL Aints

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    They have made so many symbolic gestures over the years and Lethlean was hailed as a big news story when it happened but like many other appointments and decision it hasnt amounted to anything for them.
    City Hall operates exactly like a mediocre, bloated, inefficient government beurocracy, and is the breeding ground for talentless people who would not last one day in real private enterprise. It should be no surprise whatsoever that Lethers is just the latest in the long line of talentless grifters that made their initial name at AFL HQ.

A simple rule of thumb for our HR dept is to never hire anyone with AFL HQ experience.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    City Hall operates like a mediocre, bloated, inefficient government beurocracy that it is, and develops similarly talentless people who would not last one day in the real private sector. It should be no surprise whatsoever that Lethers is just the latest in the long line of talentless grifters that made their name at AFL HQ.
    laughs in private sector bloat

4. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    laughs in private sector bloat
    Agree 100% with regard to (notionally) private global corporations, they are absolutely no better and are as bloated as any govt organisation. Small/medium businesses and entrepreneurs are the real private sector I'm referring to.

6. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    You can't blame Thomo for trying to get him across but with Lyon as good as in place now that isn't happening anytime soon.
    You're right. You can't blame them for conjuring up tenuous links to talented people in order to try and get them onboard. They have no real background of their own success to fall back on.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

City Hall operates exactly like a mediocre, bloated, inefficient government beurocracy, and is the breeding ground for talentless people who would not last one day in real private enterprise. It should be no surprise whatsoever that Lethers is just the latest in the long line of talentless grifters that made their initial name at AFL HQ.

A simple rule of thumb for our HR dept is to never hire anyone with AFL HQ experience.
    Who hurt you Sedat? Give me their name...

I've only got a Subaru but I'm happy to sit out the front of their house and rev my engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

I've only got a Subaru but I'm happy to sit out the front of their house and rev my engine.
    Drop them off at the Yarraville nets and we'll get the crew together.

10. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Hehe - it is simply the benefit of my age observing, and knowing and understanding how the world really operates, and just how many grifters with minimal talent there are in positions of enormous power and influence. That is why I tune out of all that stuff and much prefer to dedicate my time and effort into family/friends/hobbies/passions.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe - it is simply the benefit of my age observing, and knowing and understanding how the world really operates, and just how many grifters with minimal talent there are in positions of enormous power and influence. That is why I tune out of all that stuff and much prefer to dedicate my time and effort into family/friends/hobbies/passions.
    Ah yes fair enough.

I see my wonderful nieces and nephews in their teens loving life and want to protect them from what you've just described.
    I choose the blue pill!

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do find it ironic that Andrew Bassat founded SEEK but the Saints have the worst recruitment and people management in the league.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

15. Likes jeemak, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I do find it ironic that Andrew Bassat founded SEEK but the Saints have the worst recruitment and people management in the league.
    That's Alanis Morissette levels of ironic.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% with regard to (notionally) private global corporations, they are absolutely no better and are as bloated as any govt organisation. Small/medium businesses and entrepreneurs are the real private sector I'm referring to.
    ah, emphasis on the 'real' I suppose

Post Thanks / Like

TBH I'm not even sure if that's ironic or actually just appropriate

Post Thanks / Like

I know you didn't mean it this way but I'm going to use it for my own ends.

A number of good people have been sucked in/spat out by the Saints (and by Essendon for that matter) in the last few years. You can add Gold Coast to the list if you like, Melbourne in the early 2010's etc.

The challenge - as always - is that one person is never enough to 'shift' an organisation (unless apparently that person is Peter Gordon). It's pretty hard for a coach like Richardson to get anywhere when there are leaks all over the rest of the ship. I am convinced that given the rigour of 'MOST' AFL coaching searches (set aside things like David Teague, Rhys Shaw and that sort of ridiculousness) they select the right person for the job...the problem is that the job they appoint them too isn't the job they think it is - it is far bigger and the available support in place is far less...

Add to that, the coach will bring in their 'own people' who have no knowledge of how to negotiate their way around the ins and outs of the club (unless they are political animals like Brad Scott of course) so they can't help either...you end up with a whole group of people who are trying to hold onto one another, but all of the struggling is dragging them deeper (and deeper) into the quicksand. Footy clubs are (mostly) groups of pretty well-meaning people who want success for the club...but unless there is synchronicity in where everyone is heading...

I'm no doubt talking way out of turn here, but the reputations of so many coaches - hard won reputations by the way - gets torn apart in an instant if they take a job at the wrong club at the wrong time.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I know you didn't mean it this way but I'm going to use it for my own ends.

A number of good people have been sucked in/spat out by the Saints (and by Essendon for that matter) in the last few years. You can add Gold Coast to the list if you like, Melbourne in the early 2010's etc.

The challenge - as always - is that one person is never enough to 'shift' an organisation (unless apparently that person is Peter Gordon). It's pretty hard for a coach like Richardson to get anywhere when there are leaks all over the rest of the ship. I am convinced that given the rigour of 'MOST' AFL coaching searches (set aside things like David Teague, Rhys Shaw and that sort of ridiculousness) they select the right person for the job...the problem is that the job they appoint them too isn't the job they think it is - it is far bigger and the available support in place is far less...

Add to that, the coach will bring in their 'own people' who have no knowledge of how to negotiate their way around the ins and outs of the club (unless they are political animals like Brad Scott of course) so they can't help either...you end up with a whole group of people who are trying to hold onto one another, but all of the struggling is dragging them deeper (and deeper) into the quicksand. Footy clubs are (mostly) groups of pretty well-meaning people who want success for the club...but unless there is synchronicity in where everyone is heading...

I'm no doubt talking way out of turn here, but the reputations of so many coaches - hard won reputations by the way - gets torn apart in an instant if they take a job at the wrong club at the wrong time.
    And what do you make of situations where a coach pulls a big turnaround in a short amount of time ala Bevo after McCartney?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    And what do you make of situations where a coach pulls a big turnaround in a short amount of time ala Bevo after McCartney?
    The structure was already there under Macca, it just that he wasn't a senior coach.

You may have noticed we didn't really change the assistant coaches in the first few years of Bevo. We lost Montgomery because he was too political, but most of the old Geelong boys stayed as did some of the others. The administration was also good, lead by Peter. So Bevo waltzed in and pulled the footy department together to create his team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes macca liked this post