Thanks Thanks:  368
Likes Likes:  1,912

Thread: Sharp Axes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sharp Axes

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Presser tomorrow is just the standard media appearance. Sigh. Back to hoping we evolve into a better version of ourselves this week.

My love of football is seriously waning at the moment, I've got tickets sorted for at least 7 of our next games but the motivation to go and watch isn't there anymore.
    Thursday night and it’s all over, we’ll get off the hamster wheel and things will start looking different. It won’t necessarily be better immediately, but there’ll be space for some hope to re-emerge.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo speaking a lot clearer and making more sense in this mornings presser, it?s always harder post match after a bad loss to be fair.

He has handled the questions much better so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t listen in but good to hear AP

Post Thanks / Like

He has given a good summary of why there has been changes. How the recent draft history of grabbing talls in Marra, Darcy and Buss impacted our inside mid depth especially with Baz injured and Dunkley and Lippa leaving.

Searching for players to play different roles.

Post Thanks / Like

Listened to the Bevo presser on the plane, so missed a bit when the wifi dropped out. Will listen back again when I get the chance.

But I think he had rational arguments for the decisions and provided a decent summary of where we are at.

You may not agree. Many won?t. He did mention he gets the conjecture, but he explained his and clubs position reasonably well in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

He did say that the accusations of disharmony are total fiction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    There is no reason to suggest otherwise. The media thrive on the speculation and their first position after a poor performance and selection table decisions is that there is disharmony. This is even more so with Bevo as he has a prickly relationship with the media. It is good to hear his position is clearer as quite frankly it is hard to determine where we are currently at - are we in the window or are we in a mini rebuild. Where we were in the preseason (ie. Talk of being a top 4 chance) maybe unrealistic compared to where we actually are after a few games - to me it looks like we have rejigged our style and will take awhile to buy into especially with a few personnel changes. In saying that I feel Bevo has had many chances to change the way we play, but it is to early on in the season to sack the coach - ride out until round 15/16 to see where we are at. If there is no change then it will be time to move him on.

8. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, last night Caro said the messaging would change. He would be instructed.

Well the message was exactly the same as Friday night. He just spoke to it better, made more sense and was a lot more composed.

He basically said you can?t rebuild in the modern era with the rules in place. He also said that every club turns players over a span of 10 years regardless whether they are successful or not.

So basically you are always rejuvenating in one way or the other.

10. Likes Bullies, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    McRae came in after pretty much the same team finished 17th, they became a unified group all singing from the same hymn book and the rest is history. There is this Daicos guy too
    They also have players in the right roles. We have a gun CHB trying his hand as a forward & the best ruck/forward in the game masquerading as a primary ruck. Change those two things and suddenly the structural issues are much improved.

12. Likes 1eyedog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything looked amazingly harmonious on Friday ! I don't expect him to say anything other than that to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Everything looked amazingly harmonious on Friday ! I don't expect him to say anything other than that to be honest.
    C'mon GG, I'm not sure that's a fair argument.
    To think that friction won't occur and be visible, especially when what is happening must be so frustrating to the players and coaching teams alike. Even in successful teams, moments of visible and audible frustration and disagreement can occur. I don't think it's fair to then make a leap that this counters or invalidates Bevo's response to reports of disharmony in the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    C'mon GG, I'm not sure that's a fair argument.
    To think that friction won't occur and be visible, especially when what is happening must be so frustrating to the players and coaching teams alike. Even in successful teams, moments of visible and audible frustration and disagreement can occur. I don't think it's fair to then make a leap that this counters or invalidates Bevo's response to reports of disharmony in the media.
    It was a bit tongue in cheek.

I think I've got Bevo fatigue. I just get the Charlie Brown teacher voice in my head every time he speaks now.

I think I've parted with him in my heart. I can't see him staying much longer.

16. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has given a good summary of why there has been changes. How the recent draft history of grabbing talls in Marra, Darcy and Buss impacted our inside mid depth especially with Baz injured and Dunkley and Lippa leaving.

Searching for players to play different roles.
    The lack of mids coming through to replace Baz and Dunkley , makes sense. From the 2020 draft onwards, we have not had one young mid that has cemented their spot in the team.
    Would love a Braedon Campbell, McCreery or Errol type in our type. Its crazy that Sydn picked up Errol at pick 32 in 2020 draft. Her e is summary of 2020 players (15 players) , played more than 40 games :

Pick Drafted By Player Games Since
    32 Sydney Errol Gulden A 72
    9 Essendon Archie Perkins 66
    44 Collingwood Beau McCreery 65
    20 Geelong Max Holmes 56
    5 Sydney Braeden Campbell A 53
    12 GWS Tanner Bruhn 53
    17 Collingwood Oliver Henry 52
    1 Western Bulldogs Jamarra Ugle-Hagan A 50
    13 North Melbourne Tom Powell 50
    4 Sydney Logan McDonald 49
    50 Fremantle Brandon Walker A 49
    21 Melbourne Jake Bowey 48
    2 Adelaide Riley Thilthorpe 46
    28 Adelaide Sam Berry 43
    16 Port Adelaide Lachlan Jones A 40

North Melbourne, Hawks and WC are in a world of pain as some of these kids have not come through. With Tom Powell only player , who has played more than 40 games. They will most likely be in bottom 4 for a couple more years.

2021 draft , 16 players, played >30 games :
    Pick Drafted By Player Games Since:
    4 Collingwood Nick Daicos F 52
    11 St Kilda Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera 46
    26 Hawthorn Connor MacDonald 46
    1 North Melbourne Jason Horne-Francis 44 (now at Port)
    36 Adelaide Jake Soligo 42
    35 North Melbourne Paul Curtis 41
    47 St Kilda Marcus Windhager A 41
    6 Adelaide Josh Rachele 39
    13 Essendon Ben Hobbs 39
    7 Hawthorn Josh Ward 35
    31 West Coast Brady Hough 35
    33 St Kilda Mitchito Owens A 35
    16 Brisbane Darcy Wilmot 34
    27 Carlton Jesse Motlop 33
    3 GWS Finn Callaghan 30
    8 Fremantle Jye Amiss 30

Post Thanks / Like

I think we chase Finn Callaghan, Melbourne boy and his dad is married into the Beveridge family .. come on Luke get into Brett’s ear.
    Seriously though it makes sense about having a hole in the midfield, fact is it’s easier to get mids than it is great talls , we have been gifted in that area and taken full advantage, losing Dunkley who is now in his prime and Smith who no one knew would be out for the year has been a blow but we did get Sanders but he will take a year or two , he seems to float across the ground and his delivery is good but I don’t see the hard, urgency and want for the ball in his game yet.
    Losing Libba this week is a huge chance for Garcia and could take a lot of headaches away from Luke if he puts in a 25+ game.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think we chase Finn Callaghan, Melbourne boy and his dad is married into the Beveridge family .. come on Luke get into Brett’s ear.
    Seriously though it makes sense about having a hole in the midfield, fact is it’s easier to get mids than it is great talls , we have been gifted in that area and taken full advantage, losing Dunkley who is now in his prime and Smith who no one knew would be out for the year has been a blow but we did get Sanders but he will take a year or two , he seems to float across the ground and his delivery is good but I don’t see the hard, urgency and want for the ball in his game yet.
    Losing Libba this week is a huge chance for Garcia and could take a lot of headaches away from Luke if he puts in a 25+ game.
    He would cost ALOT. Absolute Gun.