Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  34
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: This Dog is the best ruck in the game

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    HTA Lycett 11, English 9

Clearances: WB: 47, Port 31

Hitouts mean stuff all unless it is to your teams adv.

Disposals, Tim 17, Lycett 11
    All due respect you didn’t see the game but you want to argue that English had a better game than Lycett based on stats alone and not take into account woof poster’s opinions? Reality is against certain types of rucks English will struggle. As GVGjr says, no shame in getting beaten by Lycett.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    All due respect you didn’t see the game but you want to argue that English had a better game than Lycett based on stats alone and not take into account woof poster’s opinions? Reality is against certain types of rucks English will struggle. As GVGjr says, no shame in getting beaten by Lycett.
    What Lycett did well was act as a pivot almost by positioning himself in the middle at times away from the contest. Port used him often as an outlet as we left him free and they were off to the races.
    Smart as you don’t want the dinosaur as part of your transition team. It was a gamble and it worked. Smart coaching, good play following instructions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Yes. They are compelling stats. But to my eyes at the game, at the stoppages Lycett gave them more than English did. He just appeared off. To be fair, last week he did play one of the best games a Ruckman can play in the modern game, so maybe I was judging him against a Diamond Standard and he didn't play at that standard tonight.
    I was watching off the ball and everytime Port had the chance they ran into English much the same they did to Gawn. I only ever saw Libber and Mcrae fly the flag. Not one umpire pulled them up on it. English would be a sore boy today.

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    My issue is that Tim didn't have any impact away from Lycett's strengths. He struggles against the big bodied ruckmen and I accept that, but his complete inability to work off Lycett and run him into the ground was infuriating.

He's a great athlete for a guy his size, way more mobile than those big rucks, so use that to get involved.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

They worked him over off the contest and Lycett very clearly was driving the knee in at every opportunity. We didn’t do enough to support Tim last night and he didn’t fight particularly hard through it, despite having an OK game.

Staggered that they paid the free against English for kneeing.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think he's in the best 3 ruckman in the comp and one or two performances where he gets beaten by another ruckman wont change that.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I still think he's in the best 3 ruckman in the comp and one or two performances where he gets beaten by another ruckman wont change that.
    Disagree. If other ruckmen get on top of you how can you be in the best 3?

You can be one of the best if you can overcome your shortcomings.

Post Thanks / Like

Lycett was omitted from this team for a number of weeks due to poor form. He is no Gawn or Simon Madden.

Last night was a reversion back to "passive, avoid body contact" Tim. He should be wiping the floor with a journeyman Clydesdale like Lycett, both at stoppage and especially around the ground. I can live with an elite tap ruckman like Witts beating Tim at stoppage, not Lycett. He was without question really poor last night in all facets.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Disagree. If other ruckmen get on top of you how can you be in the best 3?

You can be one of the best if you can overcome your shortcomings.
    It's a competitive spot and at times someone will beat you on the day, when looking at his overall season I think he is top 3 for sure.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Lycett was omitted from this team for a number of weeks due to poor form. He is no Gawn or Simon Madden.

Last night was a reversion back to "passive, avoid body contact" Tim. He should be wiping the floor with a journeyman Clydesdale like Lycett, both at stoppage and especially around the ground. I can live with an elite tap ruckman like Witts beating Tim at stoppage, not Lycett. He was without question really poor last night in all facets.
    Journeyman Clydesdale. Bravo.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a competitive spot and at times someone will beat you on the day, when looking at his overall season I think he is top 3 for sure.
    Not sure about top 3. I would place him below Draper, Gawn, Darcy and Witts.

Post Thanks / Like

To my eyes at the ground, I didn't notice a clear domination in the ruck contest. Certainly not the same level of domination in the ruck as he conceded to Pittonet and Witts. Thought Tim had some pretty clear wins, and while he was down on output around the ground still beat Lycett in this facet. The push forward to take a contested grab over Butters with Daniel's left foot assist in the last was poetry.

He can't do it every week but his performance against the Cats was very special, not something that many other players have done in my time watching football. He's had an incredible season and is the last player in our team that I'd scrutinise while trying to find reasons that we're losing.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

16. Likes lemmon, bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah.

He's a good footballer. He's a poor ruckman.

18. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    He's had an incredible season and is the last player in our team that I'd scrutinise while trying to find reasons that we're losing.
    Fair enough, but I don't think anyone is beyond scrutiny, particularly based on their previous body of work.

For mine he was poor and went away from using what his strengths are.

20. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    What Lycett did well was act as a pivot almost by positioning himself in the middle at times away from the contest. Port used him often as an outlet as we left him free and they were off to the races.
    Smart as you don’t want the dinosaur as part of your transition team. It was a gamble and it worked. Smart coaching, good play following instructions.
    Yes, we didn't respond to that well at all.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.