Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What if history repeats?

Purely hypothetical?

Like Dunkley & Essendon, and Dunkley unhappy with his role, Bailey Smith requests a trade despite being under contract.

Essendon offered a top 10 pick (Pick 8 from memory). We said no. Dunkley leaves anyway and not under contract we get second rounder pick 21 (Clarke) & late first rounder pick 15-18 (and some fringe later trading). - So Pick 8 lost - for - Picks 21 & 15-18.

What do YOU want Sam Power to do:

- Shut it down altogether. No discussion whatsoever, he contracted for next year and he?s staying.
    - Promise Smith he will get to play midfield next year onward.
    - Be open to a trade, but demand ?overs? or no trade like Dunkley to Essendon. Try to turn him around next year.
    - Take the best offer (assuming a top 10 pick) for fear when he?s uncontracted next year we lose our whip hand and end up with much less like Dunkley.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What if history repeats?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Purely hypothetical?

Like Dunkley & Essendon, and Dunkley unhappy with his role, Bailey Smith requests a trade despite being under contract.

Essendon offered a top 10 pick (Pick 8 from memory). We said no. Dunkley leaves anyway and not under contract we get second rounder pick 21 (Clarke) & late first rounder pick 15-18 (and some fringe later trading). - So Pick 8 lost - for - Picks 21 & 15-18.

- Shut it down altogether. No discussion whatsoever, he contracted for next year and he?s staying.
    - Be open to a trade, but demand ?overs? or no trade like Dunkley to Essendon. Try to turn him around next year.
    - Take the best offer (assuming a top 10 pick) for fear when he?s uncontracted next year we lose our whip hand and end up with much less like Dunkley.
    The first thing I want to know is why.

If we know why he wants to move we have something to look at.

If we can't change that something we get the best trade.
    If it is viable to change we keep the player and improve.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Purely hypothetical?

I'd have prefered the Dons deal. So I'd be take it, although wouldn't want to trade either.

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I'd have prefered the Dons deal. So I'd be take it, although wouldn't want to trade either.
    Catch 22 for sure. Not easy if it were to eventuate, hence the thread to see where views are. The Essendon Pick 8 looks a lot better in hindsight than it did at the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch 22 for sure. Not easy if it were to eventuate, hence the thread to see where views are. The Essendon Pick 8 looks a lot better in hindsight than it did at the time.
    Archie Perkins would've been very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion we were always going to knock it back because of poor timing. Jamarra was going to go number 1 and any pick we acquired from the Dunkley trade would have been absorbed in Adelaide nominating for Jamarra at number 1. If it had been any other year (aside from the following when Darcy was picked) I would have been up for the trade.

10. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Grantysghost, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Funke disco View Post
    In my opinion we were always going to knock it back because of poor timing. Jamarra was going to go number 1 and any pick we acquired from the Dunkley trade would have been absorbed in Adelaide nominating for Jamarra at number 1. If it had been any other year (aside from the following when Darcy was picked) I would have been up for the trade.
    If Smith asks this year?

Post Thanks / Like

I would take the top ten pick. We could load up with three first round mids. Realistically our window is 2025-2027 (prime Darcy, JUH), if Bont , Mccrae can hang around that long it’s a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    totally disagree GG

WE made a stand, to not trade, and it was the correct one. We almost won a premiership consequently. Also sends a message to other contracted players.

Looks great in hindsight.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

14. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    totally disagree GG

WE made a stand, to not trade, and it was the correct one. We almost won a premiership consequently. Also sends a message to other contracted players.

Looks great in hindsight.
    Yep fair point.

Post Thanks / Like

I for one would be guttered if we are going down this track once again. To me to sounds like we have a major issue in the footy department. Go back to Stringer, Dalhouse, Biggs, Roughead, Hunter, Dunkley. How could one club invest and loose so much quality. If it’s a Bevo thong of not settling standards or having the ability to manage a group of young men who are living their dream then he goes. If it’s the program (like the Indigenous people) not seeing us a LW a destination. Then let’s get to work and address that. (For JUH sake)

Let’s just go back to basics play him on the wing and tell him to run his guts out. I would rather him playing wing than Poulter. Anyway we are all not aware what’s going on and I truely hope it’s a nagging injury as he is part of the future and I hope he knows this. We have far too much talk about players not wanting to stay and with and we have three big fish in Naughton, English and Smith with plenty of noise around futures at the Bulldogs and I don’t like it one bit. .
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

17. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor Bevo, we blame his chompers then we blame his footwear (at least I hope that’s the kind of thong BB speaks of). Personally I hate thongs, although some folks have a thing for thongs, there’s a thong in my heart…, thing a thong if thixpence, why does Marsha always get what she wanth-it’th juth noth fair.

Sorry woofers, I had a strong coffee this arvo and after sweeping the home I’m still way too hypo.

Do teams strategically use coffee? If they don’t they should. Perhaps in 2nd or 3rd quarters for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I for one would be guttered if we are going down this track once again. To me to sounds like we have a major issue in the footy department. Go back to Stringer, Dalhouse, Biggs, Roughead, Hunter, Dunkley. How could one club invest and loose so much quality. If it’s a Bevo thong of not settling standards or having the ability to manage a group of young men who are living their dream then he goes. If it’s the program (like the Indigenous people) not seeing us a LW a destination. Then let’s get to work and address that. (For JUH sake)

Let’s just go back to basics play him on the wing and tell him to run his guts out. I would rather him playing wing than Poulter. Anyway we are all not aware what’s going on and I truely hope it’s a nagging injury as he is part of the future and I hope he knows this. We have far too much talk about players not wanting to stay and with and we have three big fish in Naughton, English and Smith with plenty of noise around futures at the Bulldogs and I don’t like it one bit. .
    Bailey Smith leaving would gut me too and make me question Bevo’s celebrated people management skills. Actually I already do question them, as to why we couldn’t sell and create the dream of more premiership success together. Why we’ve so quickly lapsed into a club that doesn’t attract A- graders and can’t manage footballers that are different beasts. Anyway I really can’t stomach the idea of losing our only young midfield gun and as someone mentioned earlier would prefer to be putting effort into understanding why he wanted to leave and addressing that.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

20. Likes bulldogtragic, josie, 1eyedog, anfo27, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Poor Bevo, we blame his chompers then we blame his footwear (at least I hope that’s the kind of thong BB speaks of). Personally I hate thongs, although some folks have a thing for thongs, there’s a thong in my heart…, thing a thong if thixpence, why does Marsha always get what she wanth-it’th juth noth fair.

Sorry woofers, I had a strong coffee this arvo and after sweeping the home I’m still way too hypo.

Do teams strategically use coffee? If they don’t they should. Perhaps in 2nd or 3rd quarters for us.
    It's a good point. I'd forgotten about the chompers. Cursed faux piano keys. Rip 'em out I say.
    "It's over. It's all over."

22. Likes josie, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Bailey Smith leaving would gut me too and make me question Bevo’s celebrated people management skills. Actually I already do question them, as to why we couldn’t sell and create the dream of more premiership success together. Why we’ve so quickly lapsed into a club that doesn’t attract A- graders and can’t manage footballers that are different beasts. Anyway I really can’t stomach the idea of losing our only young midfield gun and as someone mentioned earlier would prefer to be putting effort into understanding why he wanted to leave and addressing that.
    I don't think we can doubt Bevo has genuine love for his players but I think we can question if he is a great developer of players that allows them to flourish at our club.
    We can't lose someone like Bailey Smith and it would be a massive loss.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

24. Likes EasternWest, 1eyedog, josie liked this post