Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Priority Picks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Priority Picks

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Gold Coast need to think very long and very hard about appointing Damien Hardwick. I can see him dismantling the list and putting them back in the bottom four and they will not be able to get out.
    I reckon Hardwick can buck the trend of premiership coaches failing at their next club. They don't want for much on their list and he is still young enough and hungry for the opportunity of more success. He also has a terrific record in finals and overall - he's both topped up with trades and done the rebuild. He is a quality coach still at or near the top of his game - if he's doing it for the right reasons, he should succeed.

Still, it is a bit of a dog act taking over from a close mate (unless Dew already knew his intentions before-hand, and his very quick trip to Manchester suggests it wasn't exactly a massive surprise).
    Last edited by Sedat; 24-07-2023 at 03:19 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I reckon Hardwick can buck the trend of premiership coaches failing at their next club. They don't want for much on their list and he is still young enough and hungry for the opportunity a more success. He also has a terrific record in finals and overall - he's both topped up with trades and done the rebuild. He is a quality coach still at or near the top of his game - if he's doing it for the right reasons, he should succeed.

Still, it is a bit of a dog act taking over from a close mate (unless Dew already knew his intentions before-hand, and his very quick trip to Manchester suggests it wasn't exactly a massive surprise).
    Out of curiosity who was the last reappointed senior coach to win a Premiership? Or reach a GF? Or a prelim? Aside from Rocket I'm struggling a bit to think of any that have worked out in a while.

I guess Malthouse but he was at Collingwood for a long long time and then instantly fell apart at Carlton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Out of curiosity who was the last reappointed senior coach to win a Premiership? Or reach a GF? Or a prelim? Aside from Rocket I'm struggling a bit to think of any that have worked out in a while.

I guess Malthouse but he was at Collingwood for a long long time and then instantly fell apart at Carlton
    Malthouse and Leigh Matthews - who had the help of the Lions players, draft concessions etc.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, was Mick at the filth 13 years ago.

Hardwick would have to defy very strong history but I think he has the capability (and emerging talented list) to do it. It won't be easy.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yep, was Mick at the filth 13 years ago.

Hardwick would have to defy very strong history but I think he has the capability (and emerging talented list) to do it. It won't be easy.
    Making finals would be a massive win.

Winning the flag is dream land stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 issues - bad teams, and unfair fixtures.

There are always going to be bad teams - that is why we have a draft so that the worst teams get to draft the best kids coming into the system. Priority picks? Just say no.

And that leaves the fixture. I don't like the idea of playing all teams once and then making a new fixture for the last 5 games. Too much uncertainty for everyone.

My idea is to use the previous season's fixtures to split teams into 3 groups of 6. Top 6 play each other twice, middle 6 play each other twice and bottom 6 ditto. Play the other 12 once. Gather Round then allows the AFL to make sure we still get the 2 WA teams, 2 SA teams, 2 Qld teams and 2 NSW teams play each other twice. If they don't finish in the same group of 6, schedule them as game 23

For example last years' groups of 6 would have been...

Geelong, Sydney Swans, Melbourne, Collingwood, Fremantle, Brisbane Lions.
    Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Carlton, St Kilda, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast Suns
    Hawthorn, Adelaide, Essendon, GWS, West Coast Eagles, North Melbourne

Game 23 - Geelong v Richmond, Sydney v GWS, Melbourne v Essendon, Collingwood v Carlton, Fremantle v West Coast, Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne, St Kilda v Hawthorn, Port Adelaide v Adelaide.

This would give the fixture a lot more transparency, and is probably as close to a fair fixture as you can get playing the season over 23 rounds. (Note that Essendon would still get to play North & WCE twice, but they were a stinking load of garbage last season too).
    Footscray member since 1980.

7. Thanks GVGjr, josie thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    There are 2 issues - bad teams, and unfair fixtures.

There are always going to be bad teams - that is why we have a draft so that the worst teams get to draft the best kids coming into the system. Priority picks? Just say no.

And that leaves the fixture. I don't like the idea of playing all teams once and then making a new fixture for the last 5 games. Too much uncertainty for everyone.

My idea is to use the previous season's fixtures to split teams into 3 groups of 6. Top 6 play each other twice, middle 6 play each other twice and bottom 6 ditto. Play the other 12 once. Gather Round then allows the AFL to make sure we still get the 2 WA teams, 2 SA teams, 2 Qld teams and 2 NSW teams play each other twice. If they don't finish in the same group of 6, schedule them as game 23

For example last years' groups of 6 would have been...

Geelong, Sydney Swans, Melbourne, Collingwood, Fremantle, Brisbane Lions.
    Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Carlton, St Kilda, Port Adelaide, Gold Coast Suns
    Hawthorn, Adelaide, Essendon, GWS, West Coast Eagles, North Melbourne

Game 23 - Geelong v Richmond, Sydney v GWS, Melbourne v Essendon, Collingwood v Carlton, Fremantle v West Coast, Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns, Western Bulldogs v North Melbourne, St Kilda v Hawthorn, Port Adelaide v Adelaide.

This would give the fixture a lot more transparency, and is probably as close to a fair fixture as you can get playing the season over 23 rounds. (Note that Essendon would still get to play North & WCE twice, but they were a stinking load of garbage last season too).
    Isn't that pretty much what we have now? I'm pretty sure the AFL does almost exactly what you've described and it creates the exact problem we have now of teams like Essendon getting lucky with 4 games against North and West Coast and it's potential impact on the ladder.

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that pretty much what we have now? I'm pretty sure the AFL does almost exactly what you've described and it creates the exact problem we have now of teams like Essendon getting lucky with 4 games against North and West Coast and it's potential impact on the ladder.
    Yeah thats what I thought. It sounds like a good idea but any decent team that finishes bottom 6 just eats up the trash in the following season.

Post Thanks / Like

The only fair way would be every one plays each other twice, but that is unrealistic as is every one plays each other once as the TV rights will be effected ie fewer games.

I have always said the best way would be every team plays each other once over the 17 games, then you play each other at least twice over the following years on a rolling basis, so that over 3/4 years (or whatever it works out), you play a team you haven't played before twice. Gather round can also be worked into it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

SEN are indicating that North will receive pick 3 for McKay regardless if the financial offer triggers that level of compensation and then they'll also be able to secure Riley Sanders as a pre-selection and then also get an end of 1st round priority pick as well. The AFL are determined to get them 4 first round picks this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

boooo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    SEN are indicating that North will receive pick 3 for McKay regardless if the financial offer triggers that level of compensation and then they'll also be able to secure Riley Sanders as a pre-selection and then also get an end of 1st round priority pick as well. The AFL are determined to get them 4 first round picks this year.
    With that end of First, Port’s First they should absolutely trade Thomas for a late first (say our Brisbane pick or the reported Collingwood First) and make a serious play for the GCS then Pick 6.

So then they hold Picks 2, 3 & 6 plus 9 (where Twomey had Sanders).

Four top 10 kids. If they can’t take that and turn it into something then send them anywhere or fold them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    they should absolutely trade Thomas for a late first (say our Brisbane pick )
    I would do it. He is a talented player

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would do it. He is a talented player
    If his life is now pulled together so would I. He’d be a dead set gun in our side.

Edit: Just read VicPol actually just dropped the more serious charges and offered him diversion (slap on the wrist) after the evidence was examined heading into a court hearing. Clearly, the prosecution was not prepared to walk into court with the allegations as originally made by police.

But in any event, if his got it together a fresh start with a group of exciting players and a strong indigenous presence now might be just what he needs to grow into the player he should become.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If his life is now pulled together so would I. He’d be a dead set gun in our side.
    He has sorted thing with his girlfriend as the charges of distributing photos has been dropped.

He is still only 23 years old.

20. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post