Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Send off rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Send off rule.

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    And if that next game happens to be the GF
    Different issue and it makes my earlier idea way harder to implement, but I think grand finals should count double - not just for suspension incurred during them as they do now - but also for suspensions currently being served.

If you get 4 weeks then the grand final should count for double - you would miss the grand final and 2 other games.

If you give someone a Barry Hall (v Matt Maguire not v Brent Staker) style love tap and get 1 week it shouldn't put you out of a grand final (and the AFL wouldn't have to have dodgied it for the Swans).

Post Thanks / Like

Don't agree with the miss the game against them idea.

The thing is if a team really wanted to get an advantage by clocking someone they would just play a fringe player and tell them to "knock out whoever is on Johnno"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Don't agree with the miss the game against them idea.

The thing is if a team really wanted to get an advantage by clocking someone they would just play a fringe player and tell them to "knock out whoever is on Johnno"?
    http://cms.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_...tball_2008.pdf

I think that everyone that is so opposed to a send-off rule should read law number 20:Order Off Law and tell me exactly what it is they disagree with about this law.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the AFL once more have a knee jerk reaction to the Webster hit and bring in a send off rule?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will the AFL once more have a knee jerk reaction to the Webster hit and bring in a send off rule?
    Would that be a bad thing? I don't think he should remain on the field personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Would that be a bad thing? I don't think he should remain on the field personally.
    On the one hand I say ok, but on the other, I would not give power to umpires

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If the AFL follow through themselves and apply the rules consistently and not worry about the status of the player or if finals are involved and also hand out a substantial suspensions when needed there shouldn't be a need for umpires to do anything else but umpire the game.
    I'm not really in favor of an umpire having to make that decision in the heat of a game.
    Umpires report players, they don't determine what the suspension should be. That needs to happen by a separate panel.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes bornadog, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If the AFL follow through themselves and apply the rules consistently and not worry about the status of the player or if finals are involved and also hand out a substantial suspensions when needed there shouldn't be a need for umpires to do anything else but umpire the game.
    I'm not really in favor of an umpire having to make that decision in the heat of a game.
    Umpires report players, they don't determine what the suspension should be. That needs to happen by a separate panel.
    I am not advocating for a send off rule, but, what they could do is have the third umpire review the video (like VAR), and then make a decision.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not advocating for a send off rule, but, what they could do is have the third umpire review the video (like VAR), and then make a decision.
    I get that but to me more umpires isn't the answer. Make the penalties a strong deterrent, apply them evenly and that should work it's way through the competition very quickly. Before we get to a send off rule lets get the basics right.

11. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I get that but to me more umpires isn't the answer. Make the penalties a strong deterrent, apply them evenly and that should work it's way through the competition very quickly. Before we get to a send off rule lets get the basics right.
    I totally agree, but I am predicting what the AFL are thinking

13. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Other sports can do it ok? Why cant the AFL?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Other sports can do it ok? Why cant the AFL?
    History would say we will need a few iterations before we get it close to being right.
    I was all for a send off rule when there were players throwing haymakers etc but that has stopped.
    If we get the penalties right it might not been a huge priority.

16. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Again look to Rugby Union, the player gets a yellow card and the matter is referred to the Video Ref. It is then assessed and upgraded to a red if warranted based on a 10 min assessment of the video information against a set of clear parameters.

Post Thanks / Like

With the proposed send off rule that would mean a team being down to 17 or are we saying a tactical sub could be activated meaning that the side is just one player down on the IC bench or are they one player down on the field?

Post Thanks / Like

With the proposed send off rule that would mean a team being down to 17 or are we saying a tactical sub could be activated meaning that the side is just one player down on the IC bench or are they one player down on the field?
    For me, it's one player down on the bench. Definitely not the field.