Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we?

Post Thanks / Like

Are we?

The most reliable chokers in the competition. I don?t watch as much footy as I used to, but we seem to acquire good leads and give them back to lose pretty well and regularly? Honest question.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are we?

Honestly, if you are 5 goals down against us you genuinely have confidence you can get it back and believe it. Not just the coach talking shit, but that we can’t protect leads almost no matter the size on a regular basis.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Soft since 2021. Melbourne broke us

4. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every team is always a chance against us because they know any brain fades we have will have a barrage of 4-5 goals, keeping any team in the game.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We love to give teams a sniff thats for sure after dominating earlier in games.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    We love to give teams a sniff thats for sure after dominating earlier in games.
    GREAT point Eastie. We always leave the door open.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

If we dominate early in games and often build 4-5 goal leads - i.e., when we are fresh and running on top of the ground - I have serious concerns about our fitness regime. I think it was clear today. Notwithstanding being down one rotation, we looked absolutely rooted from halfway through the third quarter.

I hear the accusations of mental fragility and coaching ineptitude, but our fitness and conditioning, I feel, has been substandard for some time now. It has definitely played a part in how we seem unable to capitalise on good, early leads.
    Crumbs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The most reliable chokers in the competition. I don?t watch as much footy as I used to, but we seem to acquire good leads and give them back to lose pretty well and regularly? Honest question.
    There’s a significant body of evidence to show the boys wilt under pressure now.

The system is so inefficient, in that we expend so much effort for little reward, that any push back rings the alarm bells because we don’t have enough petrol in the tank to go again.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Soft since 2021. Melbourne broke us
    I hate reading comments that say Melbourne broke us.

No they didn?t. Things fell apart before that.

The last three games of 2021 were a disaster. We crashed from 1st to 5th on the back of crazy selection and game day decisions.

The players rallied for the most difficult finals run ever.

Melbourne was rested and fit, our guys were close to spent.

As long as influential people can hide behind the claim that Melbourne broke us expect repeats of 2021s final 3 home and away games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

The last three games of 2021 were a disaster. We crashed from 1st to 5th on the back of crazy selection and game day decisions.

As long as influential people can hide behind the claim that Melbourne broke us expect repeats of 2021s final 3 home and away games.
    There was some mitigating circumstances especially around the Hawks game.
    Think the Tasmanian government made it as hard as possible for us.
    SA did the same in the prelim.
    The port game well they just beat us..
    The Dons game was certainly a bad one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by W W Biscuit View Post
    If we dominate early in games and often build 4-5 goal leads - i.e., when we are fresh and running on top of the ground - I have serious concerns about our fitness regime. I think it was clear today. Notwithstanding being down one rotation, we looked absolutely rooted from halfway through the third quarter.

I hear the accusations of mental fragility and coaching ineptitude, but our fitness and conditioning, I feel, has been substandard for some time now. It has definitely played a part in how we seem unable to capitalise on good, early leads.
    our mids got 5 of our 10 goals.

JJ and Dale (backline) got 2. 1 from the sub.

We only needed 3 from Naughton, Weightman and JUH to win. They couldn?t combine, coordinate, link, team up, whatever in order to get it done.

And that?s in a game where 4 players had over 30 possessions and Bont and English also played excellent games as well.

Why couldn?t the team capitalise on a lot that went well?

Post Thanks / Like

We got the tactics wrong again. Asking English to ruck all day when you waste his chop out in the backline because you are too stubborn to mov the most obvious choice is beyond me.

15. Likes DOG GOD, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

Respectfully disagree Danjul. If you (rightly) criticize the last month of H&A in 2021, you have to equally give 100% credit for the outstanding performance in the first 3.5 finals of 2021, which have been (right alongside the 2016 finals series) the absolute peak of this team's performance in my 51 years alive. Comprehensive mauling of Essendon and limiting them to 4 goals, looking Brisbane in the eye and beating them on their fortress in a classic, destroying Port in enemy territory (1st half is the best football we've ever played IMO), and after a slow start, completely dominating in the GF kicking 8 of 9 goals and looking for all the world like premiers with 40 minutes left.

We had the week off before the GF and were well rested. We didn't look tired for the entire first 20 minutes of the 3rd qtr of the GF, which we were completely dominating and weren't giving our opponents even close to a sniff. We lost due to our inability to curtail opposition run-ons, our inability to respond to opposition tactical/personnel changes, and our inability to manage minutes and show in-game awareness. We lost due to 8 minutes of madness that were totally preventable, but our coaching group and on-field leaders had absolutely zero answers to responding against it. And that inability has been on show repeatedly since then - the 2022 EF was as stark an example as you could get. And though I didn't see the game yesterday, from all reports it looks as though our system broke down badly in a similar way, with a lack of ability to regain control either through coaching moves or on-field leadership.

This is why the talk about Sweet, West, Khamis, VDM, McNeil, TOB, Hannan, etc.. are worthy of analysis but are tinkering around the edges IMO - we have a clear problem that first aired in the 2021 GF and has consistently been a thorn in our side since then, and our senior core and our coaching group have not unlocked the secret of how to successfully deal with to these consistent opposition run-ons. We win because of our best players and, harsh as it may sound, we lose because of them as well.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

17. Likes hujsh, jeemak, bulldogtragic, Boots, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    There was some mitigating circumstances especially around the Hawks game.
    Think the Tasmanian government made it as hard as possible for us.
    SA did the same in the prelim.
    The port game well they just beat us..
    The Dons game was certainly a bad one.
    No they didn?t.

Port fell in by 2 points on the back of our crazy management decisions.

They were allowed to win the ruck 50-20. English accidentally had 1 hitout. I remember him running away from ruck contests. We used Hannan and Bont (who got 4) more than English.

Thats right, take your prime mover out of the game by putting him in ruck contests.

It is the anyone can do anything mentality.

And we saw it again yesterday. Lobb to the backline???

Post Thanks / Like

We are currently the anti-Collingwood. It is difficult to argue with the results.

- Lead GWS by 35 points in the third quarter only to lose by 5 points. Concede 9 of the last 12 goals. Concede two goals in the first half and then nine in the second!

- Hit the lead in the last quarter against the Swans and lose by 2 points

- Lead Geelong for almost the entire first half and half way through the third and get overrun and lose by 22 points

- Jump the Suns, get out to a 20 point lead. Fall 20 points behind. Come back in the last quarter. Close to one point. Lost by 7 points.

- Lead Port in the last quarter on their home deck, look to have relative control. They have kicked six goals for the game at that point. We concede four goals in the final quarter including 3 in six minutes to lose by 14 points.

20. Likes Boots liked this post