Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When posters say "Plan B" - What do they mean??

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Footy has not been progressed/enhanced by disallowing runners.
    Disagree.

Coach during the week. Play on match day. About the only rule changes I DO like are the interchange limit and the minimisation of runners...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Disagree.

Coach during the week. Play on match day. About the only rule changes I DO like are the interchange limit and the minimisation of runners...
    I know we both disagree on this one. I also can't see the point of interchange limits

Why don't you like it?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I used the term 'Plan B' incorrectly in a post after the game...
    So I think instead of 'Plan B' what everyone means ('cos this is what I have seen from the responses) is just an improved 'what-if' strategy assessment - and one that is pretty well understood by the players (particularly the leaders in each line).

'What if...' we lose a key defender?
    'What if...' we lose another key defender?
    'What if...' midfielder 'x' is limited by the oppo?
    'What if...' we can't generate any run from the backline?
    'What if...' oppo forward 'x' kicks 3 or more in a quarter? In a half? In WHATEVER period of time? And in what circumstances???
    (eg. Do relayed free kicks count? Do 'Joe the Goose' goals count?? Is is a raw number or is there a 'key'??)

You get the idea...I guess there are two sides to the equation:

1/. What makes their game 'GO'? And if it's going, what steps do we take to stop it??
    2/. What makes OUR game 'GO'? And if they stop it, what are our plans to do something about it??

See - when I listen to Bevo post game he pretty clinically identifies where things went right and wrong - no trouble. But I guess I would love to know who is running the 'war room' (I hate that term but you know what I mean) to challenge the coaches and work out what the STEP BY STEP plans are for the day.

eg. English goes down. Lobb rucks. Simple right?
    - But what if Lobb has already kicked 4 goals and is our best forward? THEN who rucks? Maybe the answer is still Lobb? Maybe the answer is "Lobb rucks - but we take a look at things on the day and Gardner (for example) is option 2"...

I don't know. I'm 100% sure the MC does this but I don't know who runs it...and it did seem on the weekend that whatever the plans were, we didn't really execute them effectively. Then again - as I have said - at 3/4 time we were still in front and maybe the decision was to simply ride it out, let our best players play and they would get us over the line...

If that was the plan I'm actually fine with it...we lost so it isn't optimal (for that game) but it does send a pretty clear "Hey - we are going to back you guys in to dig us out of this hole/get us going again" message which is a long-term positive...the last thing you want when the pressure comes on is the players looking around for some kind of coaching master-stroke...what you want them to do is say "This is our issue...let's dig in" and then if changes happen around them, they CONTINUE to dig in...

Hoping all of this makes sense.

Plan B is a myth.

4. Thanks lemmon, Sedat, Boots thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I want them to hold up a sign with a picture of the West Gate Bridge so they know to...
    Go. Slow.

Traffic joke.

6. Likes bornadog, EasternWest, josie, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I want them to hold up a sign with a picture of the West Gate Bridge so they know to...
    Go. Slow.

Traffic joke.
    I prefer the following:

Sydney Harbor Bridge.
    Not as Long
    Or as Tall
    As the West Gate Bridge.
    Fact.

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This should be Plan A.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This should be Plan A.
    I was going to add if this was Plan B, I'm hoping the MC quickly make it plan A!

Post Thanks / Like

Plan A Long bombs to Caleb then plan B long bombs from Caleb

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

when i think of plan B, i dont think of a whole new gameplan - rather tweaks to it inside 4 quarters. Agree there needs to be an element of predictability and players need to maintain an element of flow. So rather than a Plan B - i always refer to the change im after as a pivot.

For example:

- tag a midfielder who is tearing us apart. Happens all the time! Either English is dominated or we just cant get first hands on the ball and their spread is too good. Regardless - target the playmaker and clamp them down for 10 minutes.
    - when defenders are injured and our key forward is being dominated by the opposition key back - put our best defender not playing as a defender in defense rather than an uncoordinated giraffe
    - move one of our forwards up the ground when they havent touched it half way through the second quarter. to be fair, this has happened recently with jamarra and naughts - felt like it took too long

Im sure there are plenty of examples people here can give of where we have pivoted in games. Honestly, i dont see many of them, just a stubbornness around our skill and gameplan
    The dam wall has busted!

15. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post