Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  34
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What makes a good footballer?

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Because they want state level footy to be a 'players game' and not a coaches game. Things like the 3+2 anti-density rule, no run withs, no players behind the contest etc are all designed to create 1-v-1 footy where the PLAYERS dictate the game vs the coaches.

Things were getting a bit out of control tactically back in the late 2000's and particularly in the champs circa 2010-2012 (sad to say I was part of this) and in 2013 the anti-density stuff was trialled and the no tags/no-one behind the ball was instituted.

Anti-density went live in 2014 and has been used in VIC and WA since. SA still don't play it but have too in the champs.

I have some stories to tell about all this...if I get time later this week I might start typing.
    This ^^^ plus rule changes at AFL level just tells me the AFL is trying to make the game look like the 1980s, because those dictating these rules are all ex 1980s players.

You can never ever change the game to look like what you think it should look like with rules. Aussie rules just doesn't work like that. Aussie rules is not like soccer or Rugby where players basically have two halves of the field.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can never ever change the game to look like what you think it should look like with rules. Aussie rules just doesn't work like that. Aussie rules is not like soccer or Rugby where players basically have two halves of the field.
    Disagree. You could easily change the aesthetic of the game so that it is more one-on-one contest based like it was in the 1980's/1990's.

1. Get rid of prior opportunity completely - you get the ball and if you don't dispose of the ball legally on your bike son. It is rubbish to suggest players should be rewarded simply for getting to the ball first ball but choosing not to do anything with it - prior opp only came in around the late 90's and the likes of Paul Roos then destroyed the game taking cynical advantage of this crap rule. If you get the ball and are tackled straight away, ball up - it's not hard.
    2. Umps throw the ball up at stoppages straight away instead of piss-farting around waiting for nominations - move the game quickly and watch the congestion melt away.
    3. Umps call ball-up straight away instead of waiting an eternity for someone to be tackled correctly or dispose of the ball correctly - see point 2
    4. Reduce interchange to 10 per qtr maximum (I'd personally like 8 on the bench and all of them substitutes (no interchange at all)

Congestion is the mortal enemy of free-flowing football. Remove the congestion around the ground/drastically reduce the number of stoppages and the time taken to re-start the game after a stoppage and watch the coaches structure up with players in proper positions, as well as move the ball much quicker with all the space available in F50.

All fixed and I don't need a million $$ a year salary to be part of the office of the AFEL executive.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes macca, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To answer the OP: they make the team better. The end.

Everything else is secondary.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Disagree. You could easily change the aesthetic of the game so that it is more one-on-one contest based like it was in the 1980's/1990's.

1. Get rid of prior opportunity completely - you get the ball and if you don't dispose of the ball legally on your bike son. It is rubbish to suggest players should be rewarded simply for getting to the ball first ball but choosing not to do anything with it - prior opp only came in around the late 90's and the likes of Paul Roos then destroyed the game taking cynical advantage of this crap rule. If you get the ball and are tackled straight away, ball up - it's not hard.
    2. Umps throw the ball up at stoppages straight away instead of piss-farting around waiting for nominations - move the game quickly and watch the congestion melt away.
    3. Umps call ball-up straight away instead of waiting an eternity for someone to be tackled correctly or dispose of the ball correctly - see point 2
    4. Reduce interchange to 10 per qtr maximum (I'd personally like 8 on the bench and all of them substitutes (no interchange at all)

Congestion is the mortal enemy of free-flowing football. Remove the congestion around the ground/drastically reduce the number of stoppages and the time taken to re-start the game after a stoppage and watch the coaches structure up with players in proper positions, as well as move the ball much quicker with all the space available in F50.

All fixed and I don't need a million $$ a year salary to be part of the office of the AFEL executive.
    I agree with doing all of the above but, because coaches are smart and humans are getting stronger, taller and faster, the game will always be evolving and changing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

I like to nominate you to the rules committee Sedat. Great posts!

Honestly, I am finding the game harder to watch because of all these stupid rules.

Prior opportunity rule: has made the game faster by forcing players to panic and dump the ball. No-one wants to dive first for the ball. Players are all standing up and bending over ( with great strain to their hammies) as they don't want to be pinged with prior. Has it made the game more watchable ? In my opinion not. You don't see the skillful players under packs, digging the ball out with a deft handball. ITs all players in motion trying to grab the ball in full flight, and if they miss it its another turnover and supporters go nuts.

this year, I have watched less games of footy, with opposition teams, and also less games we have played ( maybe due to a spasmodic form)

I don't like the "on the fly intepretation" of rules plaguing the game now.

We should extend the interchange bench to 6 players so give everyone a go on the list and reduce player fatigue.

7. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all who have shared their insights and experiences. My interest in this stems from the child whose family has lived with us since he first opened his eyes.

He has just turned five. He loves playing footy and has been practising his skills for three years. He's been training with the U/9s this year and will play next year. So he has a very good base to build on.

In addition he has serious pace, balance, agility, strength and stamina in spades. When he was just four he went on a 12km bike ride with his Dad and then played kick to kick for half an hour and did this as if it was a walk in the park.
    Earlier this year he attended a footy clinic. He was the youngest kid there. On the second day they played a Lightning Premiership - 5 teams.
    He copped a ball in the face and got a cut lip. A few tears when he saw the blood but as soon as he was cleaned up he was straight back out there. When it finished after five and a half hours he looked up at me and asked, "Why aren't we playing anymore?"

In addition to the above he just loves to compete and is very determined. Whenever he sees kids playing footy he will join in. He's always the smallest but the bigger kids soon realise that he's not your normal 5 year old as he will chase and tackle anyone. I've seen him wrestle an 8 year old on the ground for half a minute and end up with the ball.
    On Saturday we went to a local game. Some bigger kids were playing on the sidelines so he joined in as he always does. At some point in the afternoon some random kid, about 8 years old (not one of the group he was playing with) decided it would be a good idea to pull his hair as he walked past him and run off laughing. Bad mistake. The little bloke immediately took off after him. The big kid, being faster, thought it was all good fun. He didn't think it was so funny when two minutes later the little bloke caught up with him, gave him a shove and yelled at him" "Don't touch me again!" Hopefully the bully has learnt his lesson.

When we left at the end of the game and passed out the gate, adjacent to where the kids had been playing, the attendant said to me, "That kid can really play football. How old is he?" When I told him he turned 5 two weeks ago he said, "Bloody hell. That'samazing!"

So, it's not just me who sees his potential. His coach can't wait to see him play next year too. He is really attentive at training and loves all the drills and warm up exercises. You can't teach that enthusiasm and determination - that WILL!

And off course he barracks for the Dogs and wears a white head band!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

9. Thanks westbulldog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, GVGjr, macca, josie, 1eyedog, Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Thanks to all who have shared their insights and experiences. My interest in this stems from the child whose family has lived with us since he first opened his eyes.

He has just turned five. He loves playing footy and has been practising his skills for three years. He's been training with the U/9s this year and will play next year. So he has a very good base to build on.

In addition he has serious pace, balance, agility, strength and stamina in spades. When he was just four he went on a 12km bike ride with his Dad and then played kick to kick for half an hour and did this as if it was a walk in the park.
    Earlier this year he attended a footy clinic. He was the youngest kid there. On the second day they played a Lightning Premiership - 5 teams.
    He copped a ball in the face and got a cut lip. A few tears when he saw the blood but as soon as he was cleaned up he was straight back out there. When it finished after five and a half hours he looked up at me and asked, "Why aren't we playing anymore?"

In addition to the above he just loves to compete and is very determined. Whenever he sees kids playing footy he will join in. He's always the smallest but the bigger kids soon realise that he's not your normal 5 year old as he will chase and tackle anyone. I've seen him wrestle an 8 year old on the ground for half a minute and end up with the ball.
    On Saturday we went to a local game. Some bigger kids were playing on the sidelines so he joined in as he always does. At some point in the afternoon some random kid, about 8 years old (not one of the group he was playing with) decided it would be a good idea to pull his hair as he walked past him and run off laughing. Bad mistake. The little bloke immediately took off after him. The big kid, being faster, thought it was all good fun. He didn't think it was so funny when two minutes later the little bloke caught up with him, gave him a shove and yelled at him" "Don't touch me again!" Hopefully the bully has learnt his lesson.

When we left at the end of the game and passed out the gate, adjacent to where the kids had been playing, the attendant said to me, "That kid can really play football. How old is he?" When I told him he turned 5 two weeks ago he said, "Bloody hell. That'samazing!"

So, it's not just me who sees his potential. His coach can't wait to see him play next year too. He is really attentive at training and loves all the drills and warm up exercises. You can't teach that enthusiasm and determination - that WILL!

Can we quietly tuck your child under an early pups recruitment program?

11. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a little of this boy and in 13/14 years time he will be a serious athlete and AFL footballer (for the Dogs )
    In the meantime he may be banned from Auskick for ......... being too good !

13. Likes merantau, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks Merantau for sharing these thoughts on Woof.
    It reminds me of our own outstanding players like Ted Whitten Doug Hawkins George Bisset and now Marcus Bontempelli. John Schultz was another who was plucked from obscurity at Boort in Country Victoria and went on to become a Brownlow Medallist and 5 times
    Charles Sutton B and F.

15. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    It reminds me of our own outstanding players like Ted Whitten Doug Hawkins George Bisset and now Marcus Bontempelli. John Schultz was another who was plucked from obscurity at Boort in Country Victoria and went on to become a Brownlow Medallist and 5 times
    Charles Sutton B and F.
    Those champions you name were all blessed with incredible will and determination to win the ball. It has been my privilege to witness their careers.
    The other day my daughter presented me with a boxed set - Bulldog Team of the Century coffee mug and stubbie holder. Of the 26 players featured it has been my absolute privilege to see 21 of them play - a treasure trove of priceless memories. I am indebted to those champions who gave their all for the cause.

17. Thanks josie, macca, Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to add a couple more of what I consider to be unteachables. First, genuine pace over the first few metres. Some people have faster reflexes and have fast twitch muscles which add to explosiveness.

Then there is the ability to read the play and the ability to read the flight of the ball. That is something that comes more from experience than anything else.
    And thirdly I'll single out awareness. Knowing where everyone is in your immediate area.

Post Thanks / Like

Forward- ability to create just enough seperation in critical moments.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

20. Thanks merantau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to add a couple more of what I consider to be unteachables. First, genuine pace over the first few metres. Some people have faster reflexes and have fast twitch muscles which add to explosiveness.

Then there is the ability to read the play and the ability to read the flight of the ball. That is something that comes more from experience than anything else.
    And thirdly I'll single out awareness. Knowing where everyone is in your immediate area.
    Great points … this is the footy IQ that some players are natural with . Toby green is just so annoyingly good at this . Jeremy Cameron when his in all the above is innate
    I do wonder when they interview players like Schache , who have all the physical traits , maybe some footy IQ but the drive to never be beaten , to be first at the ball , to smash through what Barriers that prevent them getting the ball , and rip out from their opponents possession , I don’t know how some will respond . What is a substational games played that can show case this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Charles Sutton B and F.
    I read once that a Footscray recruiter was at a match in Boort Johnny Schultz was playing in to watch "another player" and that was how Schultzy was nabbed by us.

23. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post