Thanks Thanks:  94
Likes Likes:  364
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: WOOF Update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giving up footy, thus this forum

I’ve often thought about tiered membership.

Bronze level for anyone
    Silver level for interesting threads, but some level of activity
    Gold for information threads that rewards high activity (whatever that might be classed as)

Let those who post get positively rewarded and encouraged that to access the best content only requires forum contributions. If you don’t want to contribute and just read, then just read the bronze level stuff.

If you want the good stuff, then contribute to a level Gary is happy with. If posters like trade stuff or historical analysis, I’m happy to do even more and some by request if it meant it got classed into the higher level access. I love the coaching and draft stuff, and the preseason stuff too, so happy to have my posting rewarded with access to the good stuff.

Also, the club should look at giving us some sort of access to content we can create. If you think about the player sponsors, coterie members, reserved seat holders, social club members, members and serious merchandise buyers this forum would generate the club a very considerable amount of revenue and with WOOF lost who knows if the club will bleed a good chunk of that. If they provide some access to info I’m even happy to try to package that up into gold level content to further positively reinforce contribution to woof.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’ve often thought about tiered membership.

Bronze level for anyone
    Silver level for interesting threads, but some level of activity
    Gold for information threads that rewards high activity (whatever that might be classed as)

Let those who post get positively rewarded and encouraged that to access the best content only requires forum contributions. If you don’t want to contribute and just read, then just read the bronze level stuff.

If you want the good stuff, then contribute to a level Gary is happy with. If posters like trade stuff or historical analysis, I’m happy to do even more and some by request if it meant it got classed into the higher level access. I love the coaching and draft stuff, and the preseason stuff too, so happy to have my posting rewarded with access to the good stuff.

Also, the club should look at giving us some sort of access to content we can create. If you think about the player sponsors, coterie members, reserved seat holders, social club members, members and serious merchandise buyers this forum would generate the club a very considerable amount of revenue and with WOOF list who knows if the club will bleed a good chunk of that. If they provide some access to info I’m even happy to try to package that up into gold level content to further positively reinforce contribution to woof.
    What about those that just shitpost, but shitpost a lot?
    "It's over. It's all over."

3. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Platinum members. All access all the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Platinum members. All access all the time.
    My ninja.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I've wanted to post a few thoughts in response to G's update but have held back mainly because there's not much to say in lieu of the excellent responses to date.

This forum is a huge part of my life and all of the lives of regular posters. There'll be a huge hole in my heart if we go off line. There's not much else to be said about a community that has nurtured the highs and lows we've all experienced over the last couple of decades, and if it has to end then so be it. I'll reflect on it fondly and longingly as I figure out what I need to do to fill the space between the beats.

I do want to say though, whatever you can do to keep this thing going Gary, we'll be supportive and grateful for it. It's not going to make the news, it's not going to get you any huge amount of kudos outside of us who live here. But it will count, because what I've read in this thread means a lot and tells me it's a needed part of the Bulldog community - possibly as important as the Bulldogs/ the club.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just stumbled back across this thread.

I understand where you're coming from Gary. Sometimes it's better to end in a good place than to slowly wither away.

However, even if contributions have declined, there's no doubt WOOF means a lot to many of us. It's a sense of belonging.

I'd be a little lost without WOOF. I'd miss seeing the posts of our loyal contributors too. I was here when it started and it's been able to connect me to the club like nothing else. I've often thought the club itself could better utilise WOOF.

If it is to end, thanks Gary. It's been a really great ride.
    W00F!

8. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WOOF Update

Moving some posts over to this thread
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF Update

I know that Gary has reached out to me a couple of times about my contribution levels. I enjoy the manner in which opinions are shared and its the only social media site that I participate in with other Bulldog fans. I will gladly commit to lifting my contribution rate if it means the site will keep running. I could get off my arse and start a few threads as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I first met Gary when I was doing some work for a software company and Gary was on the project representing the business. The project was huge with over 300 people in a very large room, but not many Doggies supporters around. Gary and I of course talked about the Bulldogs and had a running joke on Monday mornings if someone claiming to be a supporter wanted to talk about the game we would ask " Are you a member", and if the answer was no, Gary would say, sorry don't talk to me .

At the time Gary was about to start up WOOF and encouraged me to join from the start. I was also starting my own small business, with the majority of time spent in my home office, so it has been easy to be logged on the whole day and throw in some comments here and there, and therefore the high post count. It would have been impossible to log in so much if I worked in the corporate world like in the past.

I can understand why things must change as the social media world has also changed dramatically in the past 5 to 10 years, but WOOF has survived thanks to some dedicated posters. Over the years many have dropped off and I miss some of their posts like Lantern, Chops, Sockeye Salmon and many others.

Whatever changes happen, I will always be grateful that we have had WOOF to discuss all things Bulldogs and thank Gary and all the mods for running the forum.
    Last edited by bornadog; 20-09-2023 at 04:21 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit I really like this site and would be sad to see it go.
    The effort to keep it up and running is definitely appreciated but I can understand if the passion to keep it going may not always be there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    It will be such a sad, sad day if WOOF were to close. Thank you for keeping it running for so long. For me it is easily the best source for anything Western Bulldogs.

Yes, there are more modern ways of communicating than forums, but this closed Bulldog community with its passionate, knowledegable and insightful contributors has no equal anywhere else across the internet.
    Here here. I?d be like a lost dog without woof. The preseason buzz, the draft anticipation, admiring the draft puzzles that BT explains like no other, the knowledge and insights of those that watch draft hopefuls and those that have played/coached who understand the game so well, the highs and lows of the season (afl, aflw, vfl), the posts that make me laugh even when we are losing games and most of all the respect and civility with which we treat fellow posters whose views may differ from ours.
    Last edited by josie; 20-09-2023 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Brown tier.

Post Thanks / Like

Woof (and my forever cherished The Peoples beard scarf) are such a blessing, many of us have so many challenges in being able to commit to coteries and in person events, as others have said, through geography or being time poor, woof allows us to connect with like minded individuals as we can, when we can. And Gary, a huge thanks to you for allowing us to do that.

I really enjoy the insights of others, the varying opinions, the banter, the deep dives into drafting and club workings.

Gary, if there is anything we can do to help you keep the flame burning, please let us know.

BTW, please think of the journalists who will no longer have a source of all things bulldogs to start a story from!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    BTW, please think of the journalists who will no longer have a source of all things bulldogs to start a story from!
    There have certainly been a few. I remember jokingly posting something about the Bulldogs should receive a wildcard entry into the finals series when Essendon were being kicked out and Ralphy had pretty much the same thoughts in an article in the HUN the next day.

It's a bit harder for them now given I've closed down many of the boards from being viewed by guests
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Many posters have already expressed my feelings. I would be very disappointed if woof were to cease, bigfooty is average and Facebook is a cesspool. I feel like we are great size with plenty of discussion on a range of topics. More posters won't necessarily make the place better and could actually have the opposite effect.

I think this place is too important to too many to kill off, I hope we can find some sort of resolution. Otherwise...

20. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post