Thanks Thanks:  41
Likes Likes:  285
Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Melbourne Watch 2023/24

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Where has anyone said players should be able to use it in competition? That's not what this whole thing is about.
    Where did I say that?

The concern is if they use it, and not tested.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Drinking is not an illegal activity and taking drugs is, big difference in my opinion. Drinking and being over the limit is illegal if you are behind the wheel of a car and if you get caught then you pay a penalty.
    With Drugs in the system anything over 0.00 and rocking up to play or train as a footballer is a problem.
    Now you are making a different argument. I'm not actually arguing one way or the other, just that your drink driving comparison doesn't make any sense to me.

The only drink driving comparison I can see is the private drug tests are akin to blowing in a breathalyser before you drive to ensure you aren't over the limit and risking a driving (playing) ban.

Post Thanks / Like

Where has anyone said players should be able to use it in competition? That's not what this whole thing is about.
    It is a valid point. Our Athletic Olympians for instance. They are not tested for Coacine in out of competition testing. Only in competition testing. So the AFL testing protocol is more strenous than someone compeititing at the Olympics.

However, I do believe illigeal stiumlants are an advantage to keep a lean body and should be banned for all athletes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Where did I say that?

The concern is if they use it, and not tested.
    I would have thought it's implied since you are talking about performance enhancement?

How are they not tested?

Post Thanks / Like

Does it help in training? Eg recovery and or being abke to push harder?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Brent Harvey's view as a former player and a father with a child in the system https://x.com/RSN927/status/1773107380735070275?s=20
    'I'm a bit different' - gives the most basic conservative view point that has existed since the 1920s

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought it's implied since you are talking about performance enhancement?

How are they not tested?
    Not tested out of competition.

WHEN CAN AN ATHLETE BE TESTED FOR COCAINE USE?

There are differences in Out-of-Competition tests conducted by Sport Integrity Australia and those tests conducted by a National Sporting Organisation under an illicit drugs policy.

Sport Integrity Australia can only test for substances prohibited In-Competition during the In-Competition period. In an Out-of-Competition environment, Sport Integrity Australia cannot test for Substances of Abuse but if an athlete uses an illicit substance Out-of-Competition, that athlete needs to be aware that these substances can stay in your system for a period of time, which might mean the substance could be detected in-competition.

Regardless of when an athlete takes illicit drugs, if they are still in their system on game day they will be penalised.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Does it help in training? Eg recovery and or being abke to push harder?
    I'm not an expert. But look at the shape Ben Cousins was in. Stimulants no doubt can aid in those things in my opinion.

I have gone on a few runs after taking pseudoephedrine (taking for a blocked nose) and I felt pretty bloody good. Pushed hard and felt like I had additional energy.

11. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a valid point. Our Athletic Olympians for instance. They are not tested for Coacine in out of competition testing. Only in competition testing. So the AFL testing protocol is more strenous than someone compeititing at the Olympics.

However, I do believe illigeal stiumlants are an advantage to keep a lean body and should be banned for all athletes.
    Does being 'ripped' actually improve performance though? Seems aesthetic as much as anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Does being 'ripped' actually improve performance though? Seems aesthetic as much as anything.
    Absolutely. Does carrying less body fat while maintaining muscle mass help you be a better athlete in a sport where you need to cover the ground and have endurance, still be explosive and still have strength. 100% it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Only with the laaaadies.... (sorry)

15. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not tested out of competition.
    Olympic athletes aren't tested for illicit drugs out of competition. I'm not sure about other sports but it's been reported the AFL are one of the few that actually do test.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. Does carrying less body fat while maintaining muscle mass help you be a better athlete in a sport where you need to cover the ground and have endurance, still be explosive and still have strength. 100% it does.
    That's not really being "ripped" though. Sure, being ripped can often mean the things you've listed but someone can be a great athlete without being ripped.

MJP has spoken to this before.

18. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now you are making a different argument. I'm not actually arguing one way or the other, just that your drink driving comparison doesn't make any sense to me.

The only drink driving comparison I can see is the private drug tests are akin to blowing in a breathalyser before you drive to ensure you aren't over the limit and risking a driving (playing) ban.
    The point of view I'm putting forward should be simple to understand if you really want to.
    It's about having consequences for your actions if I'm not making that as clear as it should be.
    There are consequences for being over the limit as a driver and there should be consequences for being over the limit as a professional footballer with drugs.

During the season the starting point is supposed to be 0.00 as the limit for drugs being in players systems.
    Some players can achieve that and clearly some others can't.
    If a player makes an error during the week and self reports he's given a week off by the Doctor and in my opinion that is his first and final strike for the season. If he does it again during the season he should be given a period of time away from the club and the coach should be informed of his challenges. The coach can then make a decision if he wants to maintain the player on the list.
    If he gets off course again the following season then we go through the same process but there is no 3rd chance.

Players are given extensive education and it isn't working like it should, if they want to be all in as a footballer then there shouldn't be a lot of latitude for them to keep pushing the boundaries and taking drugs.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    That's not really being "ripped" though. Sure, being ripped can often mean the things you've listed but someone can be a great athlete without being ripped.

MJP has spoken to this before.
    Yes you can. No doubt you can be a great athlete without being ripped.

But carrying less bodyfat matters. That is why clubs measure it.