Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  310
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF Welcomes Ryley Sanders to the Kennel

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Its an interesting one. Ashcroft pretty much demanded a centre square spot and had been apart of the lions program for a while.

Sanders looks like he'll have to bide his time as a HF who comes up to the contest - this is assuming that is our game plan for 2024 is to still out number the opposition at the contest.

Macrae was clearly played out of position in 2023 and some say Smith was also.

FWIW I seriously hope we go back to the 2016 model of rotating a core group through the CBA although the one constant has to be Bontempelli.
    We?ve gone to one of the most midfield rotations to one of the fewest, even though the personnel hasn?t really changed too much (Dunks the only one of note). It?s a weird one and I understand you basically have to always play Bont & Libba there but we need to reintroduce more rotations through again I agree.

I agree Sanders will likely start Hf but won?t surprise me if he pushes through for a few stints pretty quickly, as his stoppage craft is just that good. Basically I?d like to see us get a few minutes here and there for the likes of West, Harmes, Cody & Sanders in addition to the staples (Bont, Libba, Treloar, Baz, Macrae) - because these guys can add a different look, they all run hard & have a bit more of a hard/defensive edge and I think they can just compliment the core.

Yeah it?s a lot of guys to fit in and they won?t all see midfield minutes every week but we need to be able to go to them and change things up when we need a spark etc, we?ve gone into our shell big time and almost refuse to use the supporting cast and it?s showing in our slow decline in the midfield which used to be our greatest strength imo

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liked Watson for us initially but the more I looked at Sanders I swung around to him, so rapt we went with him - he is a gun !

Sanders Guest

There are benefits to joining this forum later in life????.like the ability to use the iconic name of club legend!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Liked Watson for us initially but the more I looked at Sanders I swung around to him, so rapt we went with him - he is a gun !
    Very happy now. Love hearing him hit forwards lace out!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
    There are benefits to joining this forum later in life????.like the ability to use the iconic name of club legend!
    Timing is everything!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Timing is everything!
    I know, that's why I never became a drummer.

The Sandman was mighty impressive on the track today
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Likes EasternWest, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5J...nel=FootyStuff
    This guy has tons of videos of Sanders if you're bored. I had it pop up in my feed for George Stevens for some reason and looked through to see what players of ours he covered. Gives a bit more perspective than a highlights reel. Can kick 55m comfortably from the look of it

9. Thanks GVGjr, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't posted here since last year because, well the offseason is my favourite time of the year, when anything is possible and round 1 pummelings and losses to bottom 4 sides hasn't taken the sheen off things. I love reading the training reports and don't post often because I don't always feel like I have anything valuable to add but I really wanted to post here just to say how wrapt I am we got Sanders.
    I follow the draft pretty closely, read and watch as much as I can and I wanted Sanders more than any of the other prospects who might have been available.
    As a footballer he really doesn't have any flaws and while his highlights might not have been as sexy as other players and the common knock seems to be that he's not as damaging it's really not true. His kicking is really good, again not eye catching darts but well placed, well weighted kicks that are actually easier for forwards to mark.
    His movement around packs is really good. He takes small quick steps which allow him to change direction quickly and stay strong over the ball like Libba can but he can also power out of stoppages. He actually tested faster over 20m than 'speedster' McKercher.
    He's a strong tackler and had really good awareness of what is happening around him. His handballs are elite, he just times and places them perfectly to draw opponents and release teammates into space.
    He's good over head and a nice long shot for goal and is a really smart footballer. Gets to good spots chooses good options and uses his elite endurance to get up and down the grind to help out at both ends.
    Honestly think he could end up the best of the draft.

I also think he was very much a list need.
    We missed Dunkleys strength and defensive work this year and
    We got pummeled out of the middle against Hawthorn when Libba went down.
    None of our other mids are drop off the ball in and under mids. They all prefer to get the ball outside if that initial contest. They also tend to like to get the ball on the move which is why we're not good at defending against powerful midfielders who exit the front of the pack.
    Sanders is a strong body who'll stand at the back of the pack and make it harder for teams to exit.
    On the flip side he's also quite good at bringing the ball out the front of the pack too often looking for aggressive handball options but also driving out himself.
    It's a real shame Smith is injured because I feel like the two of them would have connected really well.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Really looking forward to him running it in the red white and blue.

Also @GVGjr can I please have access to the main training thread. I promise I'll post some more

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
    Haven't posted here since last year because, well the offseason is my favourite time of the year, when anything is possible and round 1 pummelings and losses to bottom 4 sides hasn't taken the sheen off things. I love reading the training reports and don't post often because I don't always feel like I have anything valuable to add but I really wanted to post here just to say how wrapt I am we got Sanders.
    I follow the draft pretty closely, read and watch as much as I can and I wanted Sanders more than any of the other prospects who might have been available.
    As a footballer he really doesn't have any flaws and while his highlights might not have been as sexy as other players and the common knock seems to be that he's not as damaging it's really not true. His kicking is really good, again not eye catching darts but well placed, well weighted kicks that are actually easier for forwards to mark.
    His movement around packs is really good. He takes small quick steps which allow him to change direction quickly and stay strong over the ball like Libba can but he can also power out of stoppages. He actually tested faster over 20m than 'speedster' McKercher.
    He's a strong tackler and had really good awareness of what is happening around him. His handballs are elite, he just times and places them perfectly to draw opponents and release teammates into space.
    He's good over head and a nice long shot for goal and is a really smart footballer. Gets to good spots chooses good options and uses his elite endurance to get up and down the grind to help out at both ends.

None of our other mids are drop off the ball in and under mids. They all prefer to get the ball outside if that initial contest. They also tend to like to get the ball on the move which is why we're not good at defending against powerful midfielders who exit the front of the pack.
    Sanders is a strong body who'll stand at the back of the pack and make it harder for teams to exit.
    On the flip side he's also quite good at bringing the ball out the front of the pack too often looking for aggressive handball options but also driving out himself.
    It's a real shame Smith is injured because I feel like the two of them would have connected really well.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. Really looking forward to him running it in the red white and blue.

Also @GVGjr can I please have access to the main training thread. I promise I'll post some more
    Welcome back.
    Great post. You should post more often.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

12. Likes angelopetraglia, azabob, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please post more Flipper. The above is a valuable post. Enjoyed reading it. I also was really looking forward to Baz and Saunders working together on field. Let’s hope Smith’s recovery is a speedy successful one and that we go super deep into finals so we might just see them play together then.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post Flipper. That was a good read. A shame about Baz but I’m looking forward to what Sanders can bring us.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely agree that he was a list need. When we moved up the order, I wanted the best available mid. We have amazing potential in our key position youth, but our midfield youth has been questionable at best.

I'm excited to see what Sanders can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Flipper. It's insights like yours and those of some of the other newer posters that help keep this place vibrant.

And the more you post the more you'll all get to interact and become part of what you'll find is an amazing community for discussion outside of the caca you get elsewhere.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes chef, GVGjr, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper View Post

Agree totally, I started as a "Watson wanter", after his bottom age year had me super keen. Then the more I saw of Sanders after we moved up the order, he was the one I wanted the most.
    Super post flipper, please post more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Great post Flipper. It's insights like yours and those of some of the other newer posters that help keep this place vibrant.

And the more you post the more you'll all get to interact and become part of what you'll find is an amazing community for discussion outside of the caca you get elsewhere.
    There is plenty of caca here, but perhaps less when EW isn't around (hope he misses this!)... but as you rightly pointed lots of insightful, thoughtful and thought-provoking stuff too.

20. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Agree totally, I started as a "Watson wanter", after his bottom age year had me super keen. Then the more I saw of Sanders after we moved up the order, he was the one I wanted the most.
    Super post flipper, please post more!
    The other reason that I liked Sanders over Watson was that Watson can have a purple patch then go missing for long periods which is a problem the whole team has.
    Sanders is super consistent and is the sort of player who stands up when the team needs it, like when the opposition is getting a run on.
    A real lead by example player.

22. Likes Grantysghost, Dry Rot liked this post