Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  310
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WOOF Welcomes Ryley Sanders to the Kennel

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Twomey did a large article on the draft this morning. Mostly not relevant to us. But did say Sanders was coming to us no matter who slipped in the order. We identified him and he was the target. We were an island in the live trading as we thought we had our man at 6 and didn’t want to partake in any live trading.
    Basically we weren't going to trade no matter what and our priority was midfield rather than forwards. No idea what that means if Duursma slides (probably still go Sanders) but McKercher might potentially have been higher up our order. Seems like it's good for us Hawks were sold on Watson

In making the deal with the Suns the Dogs knew one of McKercher, Duursma, Sanders or Watson would be available. Sanders would have been taken ahead of Watson if both were on the board, with the Dogs prioritising their midfield growth. Their trade with Gold Coast had paid off, with a breakdown of the trade showing they essentially gave up pick 10 and a future first-round pick for pick four (which became five and then six after the compensation pick and bid) and then have their pick 17 to be split for future picks and points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's a really good call. I'm making the comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He reminds me of Cooney in his unbridled will to run forward and influence the game, make the field in front of him react to what he's doing.

Man I loved Cooney. He could have been a multiple Brownlow winner if his body held up. He was a gun and I loved him so much.
    I am happy with either of these comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    So you're saying he can ruck?
    My ninja.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying he can ruck?
    And toboggan eskie lids
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes MrMahatma, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And toboggan eskie lids
    That's right! While the eskie slide was fantastic, the other behaviour on display was genuine Australian boorishness that you just hope you don't see when you're overseas.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see a bit of Picken in Sanders

8. Likes josie, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Bevo opening speech to all players revolved around fitness and strength.

Sanders really adds to this.

Will be fascinating to see how we play him next year.

I think the best thing about having Sanders is the fact that we can now release Bont into a more outside role… think 2021 ��

10. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rudgey88 View Post
    Interesting that Bevo opening speech to all players revolved around fitness and strength.

Sanders really adds to this.

Will be fascinating to see how we play him next year.

I think the best thing about having Sanders is the fact that we can now release Bont into a more outside role… think 2021 ��
    I also read on AFL.com.au that we did actually rate Sanders ahead of Watson because of the need to strengthen our midfield.
    I agree Sanders will add a fair bit too us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't surprise me to see Sanders land a central mid spot round 1. Some of the lack of 2 way running from our mids isn't going to cut it anymore.....I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I also read on AFL.com.au that we did actually rate Sanders ahead of Watson because of the need to strengthen our midfield.
    I agree Sanders will add a fair bit too us.
    Looking back at some of the draft time speculation, it really makes the Hawks based rumor of trading Smith for a swap of 4&5 and a future first even more silly knowing we weren't even that keen on Watson (compared to Sanders).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Looking back at some of the draft time speculation, it really makes the Hawks based rumor of trading Smith for a swap of 4&5 and a future first even more silly knowing we weren't even that keen on Watson (compared to Sanders).
    I wonder if that trade would have happened if we had been confident that North would take Curtin - it would have meant that either Duursma or McKercher were available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to see Sanders land a central mid spot round 1. Some of the lack of 2 way running from our mids isn't going to cut it anymore.....I hope.
    It wouldn't surprise me either...but in some ways, I also hope that he doesn't. I hope that his presence drives the experienced guys to a higher level through the off season. That they see the threat to their positions, and actually make changes to the way they play.

Obviously if Sanders is the best performed through the pre season, then I want him to play...but I don't want him to be the best performed.

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I still think Macrae will play a central role in the centre next year.

maybe Sanders will play high half forward for a while to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if that trade would have happened if we had been confident that North would take Curtin - it would have meant that either Duursma or McKercher were available.
    Do you think the Hawks were more keen on Watson than those two? Personally I'd expect it means Watson falls to Melbourne

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't surprise me either...but in some ways, I also hope that he doesn't. I hope that his presence drives the experienced guys to a higher level through the off season. That they see the threat to their positions, and actually make changes to the way they play.

Obviously if Sanders is the best performed through the pre season, then I want him to play...but I don't want him to be the best performed.
    Agree.

It's a bit of a shame that we're talking about a first year player driving higher standards in senior players.

21. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rudgey88 View Post
    Also I still think Macrae will play a central role in the centre next year.

maybe Sanders will play high half forward for a while to begin with.
    I agree. We either play him the middle, or we don't play him as I don't see any value in that forward role.

If we don't want to play a 3x AA in his position then either trade the guy or play him in the VFL. I get we signed him for a long term contract which is problematic.

23. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post